Forum Home » Praise, Vent & Warnings

Play.com Fraud - warning - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Play.com Fraud - warning

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
428 replies 121.8K views

Replies

• Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here - I emailed back saying I had changed my details because I had heard of fraudulent activity on other accounts.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • In light of this I logged into my Amazon account,which I have not used for 5 months at least

:eek:

It had every card I had ever used saved :eek: since 2003

I have now deleted all of them
    Potentially someone could have hit the jackpot if they had got into mine I had paid with business cards,personal card,debit card and a credit card
    I never realised this would be stored long term

Phew thank you I shall be VERY VERY careful in future due to this post
    :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
    "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes." :cool:

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.
  • PlushchrisPlushchris Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Sorry but Play.com have dreadful customer service on all levels. I really hope you get this sorted and thanks for warning other customers. Amazon is a lot safer and customer friendly.

Sorry but I couldnt disagree more, I've ordered stuff from Amazon 4 times now, there will not be a 5th, everytime I have ordered something there has been a long wait, wrong item delivered, damaged item delivered etc. and I have found them rubbish at customer service. They may well be more secure but certainly not customer friendly in my experience.

Never had a problem with play and have ordered quite a lot from them, always quick delivery and the right item, this thread does make me worry about security a little though.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • rosekitten wrote: »
    I have a paypal top up card that I can
    put money onto and use online instead of
    my debit card,hopefully it will save me a
    lot of grief as I have recently been a victiim
    of card fraud and was shopping on play.com
    just before Christmas.I have changed my details
    on their site as well.

Thanks...I haven't heard of this but certainly sounds interesting....i will have a look at it.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D
  • GrapeyGrapey Forumite
    269 posts
    I received the same email stating that my card details were incorrect. I think their system works on the basis that if you are entering card details then you are placing an order.

Yeah, that's what I thought but then I got the charged on my credit card for a declined transaction and it just seemed like a bit of a coincidence because I haven't made any other transactions which could have lead to my card being declined
  • blackmidnightblackmidnight Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Grapey wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I thought but then I got the charged on my credit card for a declined transaction and it just seemed like a bit of a coincidence because I haven't made any other transactions which could have lead to my card being declined

I got the same email but I haven't been charged for a declined transaction.
    2008: £783.12 - 2009: £6,401.15 - 2010: £4,230.61 - 2011: £8720 - 2012: £2,041.89
    2013: £134.96
  • bex2002bex2002 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    my OH had the same problem a few years ago!!
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • Thanks to all for this info, I changed my details to a closed account in oh name so nothing can get through now

• TigertTigert Forumite
    467 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    To those that are getting the email about an order - When you change your card details in any way, Play attempt to authorise £1, to check the card is valid. They don't actually take the money. As you've put in invalid card details, this obviously fails so you get the dodgy order email. Lot's of online companies do this.

So it's a good thing really - at least you now know that your currently stored card details don't work!
    LBM : March 2008 :cry:
    Debt Free Date : 25th July 2012 :)
    DMP Mutual Support Thread: #170
    Long Haul Supporters Thread : #115
  • jaytinjaytin Forumite
    473 posts
    There seems to have been a lot of problems in the last year with people's personal details being stolen/mislaid, surely all online sites which use credit cards have encryption to prevent this? Actually now I come to think of it, I usually have to go through Mastercard security when I use my credit card online, but I don't think it does when I order from Play or Amazon. Maybe if enough people make a fuss they might start using Mastercard's authentication system.
    As for customer service to be fair I have found CS at both Play and Amazon to be pretty good. Play are great if you have to return a faulty item.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support