Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

February 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 138

New Post Advanced Search

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.6K replies 123.8K views

Replies

• SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me asking but what does dragon fruit taste like & how is it prepared? My Mum & I were looking at some in Asda this morning funnily enough ;) One of my favourite fruits is sharon fruit which it was next to is it at all similar? TIA.

It tastes a little sour, and somewhat like aloha. I eat them as they are. They can be served with cold desserts like coconut smoothie.
  • jinky67jinky67 Forumite
    47.8K posts
    i would like to declare at £223.89

which means i am over budget:o

BUT having only done my big shop the other day this means my most of the stuff should take me nicely into March. :j :j And I am away for 2 weeks then as well so .....

can you put me down for £150 for March please?:D
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I am declaring at £253.23 for February - a whole £21-77 under budget so I am chuffed!

Please put me down for £275 again for March - it is a longer month and I need to top up on household items which can be expensive - such as water filter cartridges (essential here as the water it so hard and the kettle furs up if you don't use them!)

My month runs from tomorrow (26th Feb to 28th March)
    Good luck everyone.

Moniker
  • £7.00 to add in Poundland today,keeping stocked up with the sugar from there,cheapest I know of.

£4.00 for chicken breast for tonights tea.

£401.37 to add.

Need to get fruit and veg and mince for a lasagne tomorrow
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Almost the end of the month :j :j .

Not long to go guys, hopefully I should be under. Visited MrA om Mon for salad and flour (all the family decided to come for OH birthday Tues, oh and reminded me it was pancake day LOL) Will need some milk before Sat - going to Iceland for skimmed at £1.21 rather than the 1% from MrS or MrA at £1.00. It's just too creamy for me :rolleyes:

2 more NSDs to add to my total :beer: . I have been spending my lunchtimes from work haunting the town centre shops (:lipsrseal WITHOUT MY PURSE ;) ) I now have a lot of useful info about comparative costs of some of the things I buy regularly.

I'm not going to risk declaring before Sat but please put me down for £250 again for March Mrs M.
    Dor
  • JayneCJayneC Forumite
    912 posts
    Hi all,

Well made a start on my March budget today. Got my big Tesco online shop £54.36, but that's my store cupboard stuff including tins and cereal for the month.
    Also went to Savers where I found sugar for 74p a kg - cheapest I've found locally so was stupidly pleased (easily impressed:D) and got 2 bags plus T-bags and bicarb of soda (gonna make some fabric conditioner, recipe from thread on here somewhere)£5.33 and then £1.54 in Wilkos where I also got some more seeds (parsnips and coriander) but that's from a different budget.
    I've got a few seeds sprouting now so getting quite excited only I've forgotten what some of them are-have to get some labels!

See ya soon,

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • One NSD for me today thank goodness. I thought I was turning into a shopoholic:o

I made a nice Pasta Cheese & Onion Bake for dinner tonight. Bit of a strange recipe but yummy.

I used:-
    1 Quantity of Cooked Pasta (for 2)
    1 Quantity of HM Cheese Sauce (for 2)
    2 Hardboiled Eggs
    1 Onion sliced
    Grated Cheese
    Hm Breadcrumbs
    2 Cloves Garlic
    Basil
    Seasoning
    Olive Oil

I cooked the Pasta, made the Cheese Sauce, browned the Onions and hardboiled the Eggs. Then I stirred the Cheese Sauce into the cooked Pasta, stirred in the browned Onions, crushed Garlic, Basil & Seasoning. All this went into an ovenproof dish. I cut the Hardboiled Eggs in half and arranged them in the dish with the Pasta then spooned the Breadcrumbs all over the top. Finally I grated some more Cheese on top and added a drizzle of Olive Oil. Bake in a hot oven until bubbling and golden.

I am presently making a list of all my freezer contents and stock cupboard items..........wish me luckicon7.gif
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • hello everyone - i havent been on for a while but thats because i havent been spending!!:j :j DH went to the shops just to get a few bits and it came to £8 so he did well. I have managed to get back under target for the two mths out of my yearly budget so im happy! and i shouldnt need anything more till te weekend when we are going to do a shop together - whichcould be bd as dh tends to think if its just been pay day we are rolling in cash!! so will have to keep a eye on him!! :D:D
    x
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • rockie4rockie4 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    As March is a slightly longer month could you put me down for £180 please Mrs M?

I'm hoping to last out until after the weekend and get a big shop delivered on Tuesday. I've got enough stuff in for meals but will need cat food and milk, might get OH to go to the supermarket for me then I won't be tempted by anything else ;)
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 posts
    A couple of little spends today, so have updated siggy. A week into March for me, but in a much stronger position than last month.

Had a break through with DD & her pack-ups, which have tended to be a bit of a battle ground, as she doesn’t like sandwiches or variants & at best she eats a bit of filling & I get some soggy bread back. And she has tended to ask for processed, branded ‘carp’ (as kids are wont to do).

In the summer she is happy with salads, but at the moment it isn’t the season & the salad stuff is expensive & bland.

Today she said (1) she didn’t want crisps (hurrah!) and (2) could she have a tub of cold pasta with herby tomato sauce in her lunch? Well, of course, definitely yes. And she wanted to make it. So once we were home we went in the kitchen & made a batch of tomato pasta sauce & cooked some pasta. She had a portion for supper & said it was delicious & there is some in the fridge for her lunch tomorrow, and some extra. :D