pension payments if emigrate to N Zealand

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning
9 replies 1.1K views
ettapatettapat Forumite
5 Posts
My husband and myself are thinking of emigrating to N Zealnd, to be with our son and grandchildren. but are unsure with regards to our pensions. I've found lots of advice but it's confusing as to what really happens to our pensions once we leave UK.

Any advice would be welcome.
Elliepat

Replies

• seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can claim your State Pension in NZ but I don't think you will get the annual rises.

Can't help about other pensions, sorry.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • You can claim your State Pension in NZ but I don't think you will get the annual rises.

Can't help about other pensions, sorry.

Correct seven-day-weekend. I've lived in Thailand for 4 years, I get a UK state pension but do not get any increases. It is worth noting that if you return to the UK for treatment you will not qualify for National Health free treatment if you stay in NZ for three consecutive months.

It's very unfair considering I paid full contributions during my employment there from age 15 to 65.
    36.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wineman3 wrote: »
    Correct seven-day-weekend. I've lived in Thailand for 4 years, I get a UK state pension but do not get any increases. It is worth noting that if you return to the UK for treatment you will not qualify for National Health free treatment if you stay in NZ for three consecutive months.

It's very unfair considering I paid full contributions during my employment there from age 15 to 65.

I think this is the same with any foreign country; certainly it is in the Eurozone (although it might be six months). As a Spanish Resident of four years I am no longer entitled t access the British NHS.

We are eligible for the rises on our Pensions though.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • KatykatKatykat Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just pass on a bit of information. There is no way the NHS can check where you have been living. For example- Theoretically, NHS guidelines state that you must live in UK for at least 3 months before you are entitled to use regular NHS services( anyone can access emergency healthcare immediately) However, in practice, its not checked. All you have to say is that you have lived here for tha past 3 months. No way to follow it up. Of course the NHs has to rely on people being honest.
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • EdInvestorEdInvestor
    15.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are moving back to live permanently in the UK, you are entitled to free normal NHS care immediately.There is no residence rule. They may require the usual forms of ID to sign you up to a practice.

The Op should take financial advice on the pension issue, there are many brokers who offer this advertising on the expat websites.

You need also to look at tax issues, as to whether it is more beneficial to have your pensions paid in the Uk or in NZ. The issues can be quite complex.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Cook_CountyCook_County Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katykat wrote: »
    Can I just pass on a bit of information. There is no way the NHS can check where you have been living. For example- Theoretically, NHS guidelines state that you must live in UK for at least 3 months before you are entitled to use regular NHS services( anyone can access emergency healthcare immediately) However, in practice, its not checked. All you have to say is that you have lived here for tha past 3 months. No way to follow it up. Of course the NHs has to rely on people being honest.
    Fraud is imprisonable - it is not money saving.
  • KatykatKatykat Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Lighten up Cook County, what's fraudulant about receiving healthcare from an organisation that you have contributed to for up to 50 yrs?. Of course its not exactly money saving, the original question wasn't about moneysaving, it was about getting back monies that you have paid in whilst working in this country. If you want to be precise, it could be considered money saving because you should have to pay for private healthcare if you had spent more than 3 months out of the country.
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
    36.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Access to the British NHS is dependent upon residency, not how much you have paid in, so if you continue to use it whilst not informing anyone you no longer live in the UK, then that is fraud.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • baby_boomerbaby_boomer Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you stay in the UK, state pensions are due to get increases linked to earnings around ?2012? Currently they are linked to inflation.

The trouble with the current crisis, is that if governments print money to get out of it and unleash inflation, then your UK pension might be eroded if you lived in NZ :(.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals