'Free Champagne for EVERYONE... no maybe not.' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• hayley11hayley11 Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl: That's quite funny! Champagnes icky though, i'd be like please can I have a glass of cherry lambrini instead :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm not a chav, honest :rotfl:
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • Oh, that's so funny! :rotfl:

LOL

She must have gone pale when she realised you were "Martin's Money Tips"... !

Bet that's the opposite reaction to what you usually get from people who are trying to get you to plug their business :rolleyes:

You realise from the DFW forum in particular how many people find it such a release to share their debt secret with someone, because no-one IRL knows anything about it. I bet most of us are the same - too ashamed to admit to it. :o
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1114
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts':cool:
  • Airwolf1Airwolf1 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a story - and it just shows you don't know who you're talking to - for both of the people involved - she didn't realise it wa sMartin, and Martin with his MoneySaving head on (thoughts of sneaking shop into the email) didn't realise she had had help from the site!
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • I'm a first-timer for posting on the forum, but that story reminded me of a tip an ex-employee of a major department store told me years ago.

Bear in mind this is not for the shy types, but if you go into any large Department store towards the end of any fashion season (think sales times!), and ask at the cosmetics counters if they have any trial items or testers that they haven't used from last season that they'd like to offload.

I tried this (admittedly, it was a few years ago!) but I came away with bags of foundations, lipglosses, perfume testers, eyeshadows and beauty products. Most consessions are glad to give the testers and old products away as they would otherwise have to throw them away. Some do recycle the products they don't use these days, but it's always worth asking just in case!

I was in school when I tried this, and did it as an experiment to get supplies for make-up for a stage production, and so was extra sneaky and sold as many of the products as I could (brands like Elizabeth Arden, YSL and Chanel went down particularly well!) to teachers and friends.

We made over £80 by selling off the freebies, so it was well worth it!

I'm not sure selling the freebies on would be such a good idea these days, but if you stick to counters holding brands that you like, you should get a nice selection of products that you might not have shelled out for when it was on the shelves.

Hope it helps!!
    Total Debt: £3665.41 Personal Loan: £1705 Overdraft: £1066.13
    HP Loan: £404.76 Family: £250 Credit Card: £239.52
    Aims: To pay off my overdraft by August 2009
    To be debt free by Christmas 2009
    :) *** Proud to be dealing with my debt *** :)
  • LarumbelleLarumbelle Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first proper job was across the road from a snooty furniature shop that used to give you a glass of champagne while you wandered around. Maybe they hoped you'd get drunk enough to think their prices were reasonable. Anyway, I visited every lunch hour during my first week, until they worked out that I was the offic junior from over the road :rotfl:
  • Sami_BeeSami_Bee Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    i have a friend who is rather well off and frequents a posh jewelers in Manchester she always comes out of the shop pickled in champagne (and with her DH at least £500 worse off!) She's such a good customer that they take her out for dinner along with their other big spenders once or twice a year, they have a limo pick you up from home and take you to a swanky hotel/restaurant for dinner
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • jobbingmusicianjobbingmusician Forumite, Board Guide
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mystery shop high end shops, and often find that one of the questions on the evaluation questionnaire is 'were you offered refreshments or a glass of wine' - it's obviously expected of the staff......... :D
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides