Help please care home funding with house and son

2»

Replies

• Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    In regards to the adult son living in the property, is he currently working full or part time? Did he provide any sort of care needs at all while living with his mother?

Another factor would be his age and any existing disabilities but you seem to have already answered these points.
  • maggiemmaggiem Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Don't really want to get into debate re social workers - I too work in Children's Services. My point was that advice offered to me by a SW was inaccurate, unhelpful and upsetting. I am sure there are lots doing wonderful work but sadly personal experience does colour your perceptions and has made me very wary of relying on the advice.

The son works full time but has been doing all the shopping, cooking, cleaning etc. I am not sure about any form of personal care - they are a very private family and I suspect it has been very difficult for the son for some time but he would not talk very much about it. He also is rather unworldly so thought if his Mum went into a home he might not be able to see her! He is in his 50s and has always worked for the same employer.

Thanks for all the advice - just really don't want to see him made homeless or put in a very difficult position because of the family situation. Hope if anyone else is on this position they are warned so aware of the potential problems ahead. I heard recently it is only 1 in 6 people end up in care homes but I do wonder if that figure is increasing as the average age gets higher? Even elderly people who have coped well do become increasingly frail.

Maggie
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You describe him as 'unworldly', but do you think there may be a mild learning disability? That would affect things, I think.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
    8K Posts
    Forumite
    To put it simply I see it as extremely unlikely that the house won't be taken into account on his mothers assessment. He doesn't appear to have a disability (the full time work supports this), is under 60 and hasn't been a full time carer for his mother. In some circumstances the carer will be entitled to keep the property as a 'reward' for caring for them but this has to be on a full time basis and for a number of years. His role seems to have been nothing other than basic housework. The fact he is working suggests he couldn't have been the full time carer and the council are likely to argue that he could afford the rent on his own property.

The council is unlikely to force him out of the property by a certain date as in many respects it is in their favour to keep the property occupied. However they may request he pay rent for his stay there. It is an unfortunate situation to be in but all too common.

His only real option is to push for CHC as previously suggested although I feel this is unlikely given the circumstances. However, it's always worth a try.
  • I have been dealing with a social worker, attached to a charit this wek because my friends father is in a similar situation. In our case the wife is still in the house, although its not in her name at all. The daughter is providing too much care and is a single mum. I have been involved at all stages because neither the mother or the daughter are in a position to sort it out - they just cant cope.

I have found the social worker has gone out of her way to help. She has been proactive in every way possible.

There are all sorts of options for the son, depending on how long he has lived in the house. It will also depend on the wishes of the person going into the home. A charge on the house is becoming more common and isn't neccesarily a bad thing.

If he has always lived in the home it is actually unlikely that he would be forced to leave it even if he is of a certain age as this would be seen as unreasonable. I would think a good solution would be to move some assets and do some signing over of assets - something that should be discussed with cab among others.

Good luck
  • maggiem - I think I know what you mean when you say 'unworldly'. I know a lovely sweet natured woman who has held down a job with the same employer for years and lives on her own but needs help with 'officialdom' - I definitely feel she has some sort of learning disability.

Hope you can sort things out for the son.
    8K Posts
    Forumite
    mobilecat wrote: »
    If he has always lived in the home it is actually unlikely that he would be forced to leave it even if he is of a certain age as this would be seen as unreasonable. I would think a good solution would be to move some assets and do some signing over of assets - something that should be discussed with cab among others.

Good luck

They could physically remove him but it would be an extremely heavy handed approach. The possibility of charging him rent is very real though. A charge will also be likely but at the end of the day whatever the solution the property will be taken into account. He will need to sell the property at some point.

What do you mean by signing over some assets?
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    35.1K Posts
    Forumite
    mobilecat wrote: »
    In our case the wife is still in the house, although its not in her name at all.

It wouldn't matter that the house was only in the husband's name. If a spouse is living in the house, it is not taken into account when payment of care home fees is worked out.
  • maggiemmaggiem Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks all, will let you know what happens. Like all these things it seems to hurry up and then stop. However very grateful for advice and support.

Savvy Sue, yes think there may be mild learning problems but no diagnosis so will not be taken into account I think. He struggles because everyone tries to be non-directive well really he needs someone to say do this and then that. Wish we were nearer but trying to do this on the phone means never sure things have really been understood!

Maggie
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Just wonder if it's worth looking into getting some kind of diagnosis / support? Might be tricky, but Adult Social Services might be able to advise, you could try phoning in your local area and asking in general terms how one might proceed?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals