Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Vegetarian Christmas alternative? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Vegetarian Christmas alternative?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
170 replies 51.5K views

Replies

• Not sure if this site has been posted before but the Vegan Family website has great links and great recipies. There is a special section on christmas cooking for anyone wanting to make rather than buy.......

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/yule.html

:xmastree: :xmastree: :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • pomcyclepomcycle Forumite
    16 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Vegetarian Haggis - it is absolutely gorgeous (and I am a confirmed carnivore) - and is also vegan and non-dairy. (does contain peanuts though). £2.99 from Waitrose - but other places stock them - made by MacSween of Scotland.

I've served this at a Burn's night party and it went down well, less rich than normal haggis.
  • any veggies here? if so what are you having instead of turkey?

i've got the choice between a few things, linda mccartney stuffed veggie roast, l.m. pie, couple of waitrose frozen things - wild rice and lentil bakes, brocolli and mushroom bakes, and also ambledown pies. i can decide later as these take about 30 mins in the oven!
  • A nut cutlet for me - if I'd have got my butt in gear sooner, I'd have made a nice white nut roast, but as it is I'm happy with the nut cutlet - will have it with sweet potatoes, parsnips, sprouts, carrots and sweetcorn, washed down with red wine. Yum and double yum!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • I am having the same as I have had for the last two Christmasses,a mushroom and cashew nut roast with ricotta and spinach sauce.It is from Sainsbury's Taste the Difference range and it is really nice.

I am going to friends for Christmas Day,none of them are veggie so I shall take my nut roast with me and then have that with all the vegetables while they have the turkey :xmassmile
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I've made a vegetable strudel. Normally have a nut roast but have become a bit bored with it. There are 5 veggies for Christmas dinner so thought it would be nice to have something different.

I made one last week as a practice run and it was delicious!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Oooh, Catkins, yes, strudels are lovely! Wish I'd thought of that - but I will definitely enjoy my choice anyway.
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are vegan (apart from the cheese the others eat :rolleyes:). I didn't have my recipes in order so I couldn't find anything to cook, so ended up buying a Redwoods Celebration roast - with extra Redwoods sausages and rashers!!! We'll be having loads and loads of roast potatoes and roast veggies.

Veggie strudel sounds good - might try that next year :D

• Hi to another vegan, Justamum :santa2: :wave: Have a lovely feast!
  • thenanny2die4thenanny2die4 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning! Merry Christmas. :santa2: My first post on the OS forum although I've been lurking here for ages (big fan of Stardrops).

Our Christmas meal was last night and I did the whole turkey thing for everyone else and I had all the trimmings to accompany a puff pastry base topped with anything that looked good in the fridge; pesto, mushrooms, courgette, yellow pepper, mozzarella, pine nuts and grated cheddar. It was scrummy. :D
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé