Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Vegetarian Christmas alternative? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Vegetarian Christmas alternative?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
170 replies 51.6K views

Replies

• lily_the_pinklily_the_pink Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this site has been posted before but the Vegan Family website has great links and great recipies. There is a special section on christmas cooking for anyone wanting to make rather than buy.......

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/yule.html

:xmastree: :xmastree: :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • pomcyclepomcycle Forumite
    16 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Vegetarian Haggis - it is absolutely gorgeous (and I am a confirmed carnivore) - and is also vegan and non-dairy. (does contain peanuts though). £2.99 from Waitrose - but other places stock them - made by MacSween of Scotland.

I've served this at a Burn's night party and it went down well, less rich than normal haggis.
  • any veggies here? if so what are you having instead of turkey?

i've got the choice between a few things, linda mccartney stuffed veggie roast, l.m. pie, couple of waitrose frozen things - wild rice and lentil bakes, brocolli and mushroom bakes, and also ambledown pies. i can decide later as these take about 30 mins in the oven!
  • A nut cutlet for me - if I'd have got my butt in gear sooner, I'd have made a nice white nut roast, but as it is I'm happy with the nut cutlet - will have it with sweet potatoes, parsnips, sprouts, carrots and sweetcorn, washed down with red wine. Yum and double yum!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • I am having the same as I have had for the last two Christmasses,a mushroom and cashew nut roast with ricotta and spinach sauce.It is from Sainsbury's Taste the Difference range and it is really nice.

I am going to friends for Christmas Day,none of them are veggie so I shall take my nut roast with me and then have that with all the vegetables while they have the turkey :xmassmile
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I've made a vegetable strudel. Normally have a nut roast but have become a bit bored with it. There are 5 veggies for Christmas dinner so thought it would be nice to have something different.

I made one last week as a practice run and it was delicious!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • Oooh, Catkins, yes, strudels are lovely! Wish I'd thought of that - but I will definitely enjoy my choice anyway.
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are vegan (apart from the cheese the others eat :rolleyes:). I didn't have my recipes in order so I couldn't find anything to cook, so ended up buying a Redwoods Celebration roast - with extra Redwoods sausages and rashers!!! We'll be having loads and loads of roast potatoes and roast veggies.

Veggie strudel sounds good - might try that next year :D

• Hi to another vegan, Justamum :santa2: :wave: Have a lovely feast!
  • thenanny2die4thenanny2die4 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning! Merry Christmas. :santa2: My first post on the OS forum although I've been lurking here for ages (big fan of Stardrops).

Our Christmas meal was last night and I did the whole turkey thing for everyone else and I had all the trimmings to accompany a puff pastry base topped with anything that looked good in the fridge; pesto, mushrooms, courgette, yellow pepper, mozzarella, pine nuts and grated cheddar. It was scrummy. :D
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé