"Help" from Mr Darling

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
25 replies 3.4K views

Replies

• benjobenjo Forumite
    482 Posts
    5.82 To support pensioners more broadly, the level of the full State Pension will rise in line
    with prices by £4.55 to £95.25 a week in April 2009. For those women whose entitlement is based
    on their husbands' pension, the full couples' rate increases to £152.30. In addition, in order
    to provide further support for pensioners during the economic downturn, the Government
    announces that it will make a payment in the New Year of £60 for each pensioner, equivalent
    to bringing forward uprating of the basic State Pension from April to January. Around 12.5
    million pensioners will benefit. A £60 payment will also be made to 2.5 million individuals
    who are in receipt of certain other benefits.5

at the bottom of the page (101) it says:

5 Eligibility will be the same as for the annual Christmas Bonus.

To be eligable for the christmas bonus you have to be eligable for one of these benefits for the first full week in December (I am guessing that means in receipt of)

Attendance Allowance
    Constant Attendance Allowance
    Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance
    Disability Living Allowance
    Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
    Industrial Death Benefit
    Carer's Allowance
    Mobility Supplement
    Pension Credit - the guarantee element
    State Pension (including Graduated Pension)
    Severe Disablement Allowance
    Unemployability Supplement or Allowance
    War Disablement Pension if aged 65 or over
    War Widow's Pension
    Widow's Pension
    Widowed Mother's Allowance
    Widowed Parent's Allowance

Also you must be resident in the UK, Channel Isles, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, any EU country, or Switzerland.
  • Babshubbie wrote: »
    It is normal to look at the Pre-Budget Report to see what there is in it for "me", but surely we should not lose sight of the bigger picture. That is to attempt to get this country to ride out the coming recession with the least harm to the economy. ( Whether the Government or the Global recession got us here is another matter as indeed whether the Labour, Tory or Lib-Dems solutions are the right ones either)

With the least harm , they are going to plunge this economy into deeper and deeper debt and hope that the economy picks up where there are no economic indicators to suggest this will work. Even people at the stock exchanges have been unimpressed by what can only be descirbed as reckless pre budget report. It is not a case of if the goveernment got us here they did selling off £2 billion gold reserves when he was chancellor, the 10 pence tax blunder, huge borowing, unemployment increasing and his weak and cowardly leadership are running this once great country into the ground.
    Fundementally this government are not protecting the most vunerable members of society, keen to give handouts to what DMG24 alludes to as people in the electorate who are vote winners but looking at the bigger picture they are further alienating disabled people, come polling day the labour party will be licking thieir wounds after they lose power. I am getting fed up of this goverments stance to disabled people who are on DLA and such instead of pressurising ill people to go back to work get more abled people back into work, reduce the allowances given to wealthy pentioners and families with children. Start means testing people who you are giving the winter fule allowance too to see if they can acutally afford it itsead of automatically giving the money to them just because they are over a certain age. Simple steps but this government dont seem to want nor to care about disabled and frail people who are on this subforum and in society. Sorry for the rant peeps feel a lot better :money:
  • . Even people at the stock exchanges have been unimpressed by what can only be descirbed as reckless pre budget report. It is not a case of if the goveernment got us here they did selling off £2 billion gold reserves when he was chancellor, the 10 pence tax blunder, huge borowing, unemployment increasing and his weak and cowardly leadership are running this once great country into the ground.
    :money:

Did you not read what happened on the stock exchange yesterday? In any event, what a pity to let a sensible thread deteriorate into a political rant.
  • GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can I just ask, I'm currently on DLA LM MC but it ends on the 8th december (reclaim currently under review pending appeal), will I be entitled to this bonus? I'm 22, female and a student.
    In any event, what a pity to let a sensible thread deteriorate into a political rant.

.If you dont know this issue is about politics funny about that:rolleyes: and there are a lot of angry people out there so much for the bigger picutre you speak of certainly the government is not protecting disabled people who are amongst the most vunerable people in society, Chancellor Darling had a real opportunity to help the most frail and vunerable in society but he did not give millions of people on DLA and long term incapacity benifit a real sustainable long term boost.This pre budget report makes people feel more alone and unwanted.
  • .If you dont know this issue is about politics funny about that:rolleyes:

Of course it is about politics, but why turn it into a rant about party politics? And why do you imagine that others beside you do not understand the problems you touch on?
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    I've read on another forum that the £60 will be for anyone who's eligible for the xmas bonus.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • GlasweJen wrote: »
    Can I just ask, I'm currently on DLA LM MC but it ends on the 8th december (reclaim currently under review pending appeal), will I be entitled to this bonus? I'm 22, female and a student.

Sorry to say Jen that I have no idea on this one, I normally end up asking on another thread when I am stuck! Could you call someone and find out how the review is going and ask then what the situation is?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
    Of course it is about politics, but why turn it into a rant about party politics? And why do you imagine that others beside you do not understand the problems you touch on?

I think any political discussion ends up at some point discussing how different parties might have done it, so it will become a little bit of a rant, after all my original post was a small rant after all!

Good to know I "might" get an extra £60 *sigh*
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
  • Ames wrote: »
    I've read on another forum that the £60 will be for anyone who's eligible for the xmas bonus.

can you post the link ames?

Both me and my mother receive the £10 xmas bonus i am hopeful that we will both get the £60 but im not banking on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals