Cover Girl Studio

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I won! I won! I won!
115 replies 42K views

Replies

• Well just got a call about an hour ago from the well know scam covergirl, telling me congrats!! for what exactly. Thank god I am aware of these dam scams. When it came to the £30.oo refundable deposite, I think the girl who called me thought I lived on planet no mans land. she asked which card would I like to use to pay, I simply said, 'what card are you on about'!!?

She was gobbedsmacked that I don't use credit, debit, or any type of cards to pay for nothing on the phone or anywhere else for that matter. Yep call me outta touch, weirdo, whatever, but you know she said I couldn't do the photo thingy because I had to pay, so I said, fine then, I am not paying nothing so thats that!!!

The phone went dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Well just got a call about an hour ago from the well know scam covergirl, telling me congrats!! for what exactly. Thank god I am aware of these dam scams. When it came to the £30.oo refundable deposite, I think the girl who called me thought I lived on planet no mans land. she asked which card would I like to use to pay, I simply said, 'what card are you on about'!!?

She was gobbedsmacked that I don't use credit, debit, or any type of cards to pay for nothing on the phone or anywhere else for that matter. Yep call me outta touch, weirdo, whatever, but you know she said I couldn't do the photo thingy because I had to pay, so I said, fine then, I am not paying nothing so thats that!!!

The phone went dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I too "won" this competition, and having looked online and found the company exists, put the £60 deposit down for two of us and went along on the day.

And it wasn't a scam, you do get to have your hair and makeup done, and then have a proper photo shoot. You then get to look at the photos and decide if you want to buy any or just have your free photo that you are offered, have your £60 put back onto your card and you can be on your way.

They make money by people buying the photos, and at the end of the day if you choose not to buy any, all its cost you is your travel fare to get pampered for a day!

My friend and I loved it and the photos looked fab so we decided to buy a few and were given them on disc so we can print or send as many as we want, it was a great day, and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

No scam involved at all.
  • Muffy0Muffy0 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    It is a scam because they are asking you to pay a deposit for winning a competition and then expect to hard sell you at the end. In my opinion, that isn't a win - it's just a pure scam to get you to part with your cash
    M x
  • They seem to offer alot, but its true they make thier money from the pics you buy and apperently if you dont buy pics they get angry,
    but im going on sat and hope its good :)
  • Good day everyone ,i am delighted to let you know that covergirl studio is under a new management as from december 2008,any queries would be gladly dealt with as soon as possible.Any complaints should be forwarded to the attention of Miss Natasha Smith via email [email protected] or telephone 02075803999,wednesday to friday between 10am-3pm,please bear with us if we do not get to you on time,all calls and messages will be responded to within 24 hours. Thank you for your patience and we only target to provide the best service to all our clients .
    We would like to assure everyone that we are a legitimate company and we do competitions online ,the holding deposit is just to make sure clients do turn up on the day ,the clients gets their refund on the day of the session as well.

If you do have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you.

Miss Natasha Smith.
  • Dear All
    I had a call from these guys today telling me I had won a competition - I didnt enter one.
    This is the email I have sent them.
    I didnt let the woman who called me push me into giving my card details or give them a date - I told her to email me and nothing came through.
    I would advise you go the Office of Fair Trading Website and the reportascam section to stop this - its misleading and god knows how they get our personal details.

Dear Natasha Smith

I had a call from someone claiming to be calling me from Covergirl earlier today - they didnt give a name but rang from mobile number 0750 1721534.
    They asked for a deposit up front and were pushing me to book in a date.
    I dont remember entering this competition via the internet.
    After some quick research on the net I found a whole forum on moneysavingexpert.com on Covergirl Studios.
    The woman who called me said I had won a prize worth £500. How can I prize involve a deposit of £30?
    I dont know how you got my details but I am reporting this incident to the Office of Fair Trading and have registered my details about you to the reportascan section.
    I will do everything I can to follow up my compliant to stop companies like yours misusing peoples personal details and making very aggressive sales calls.
    I will also be posting this on moneysavingexpert.com to warn others.
    Yours

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=654617&page=2
    https://secure.consumerdirect.gov.uk/reportascam.aspx
  • TulipTulip Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well done :T :T :T
  • npwnpw Forumite
    3 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I wanted to book a makeover & photo shoot for myself & my 2 daughters as the youngest one is turing 18 this week. I tried several studios in London as we were visiting over half term, most couldnt offer me the time I wanted. I filled in a competition form on the cover girl web site. A couple of days later I was phoned, and told I'd won the £500 makeover at one of the top LOndon studios off Oxford Street. I was delighted and told I could take my 2 daughters with me, to ensure we kept the appointment they would need £30 each (refundable on completion oof photo shoot) deposit. I duly paid as they were able to offer me an appointment that fitted into my schedule. It was also cheaper than other studios, if fact free if you want to go & get you deposit back at teh end. Other studios in London were charging £50 -£100 just for the previlage and not refundable.
    The experience was worth £30 but to be honest if I'd paid £500 I would have been very disappointed & cross. I was promised unlimited refreshments. There were some glasses of ?wine on the reception desk but I was not offered anything to drink until I had waited 30 mins or so.
    No one really explained the proceedure or welcomed us. A very grumpy lady who appered at the reception desk from time to time, had a go at a client who'd arrived late, despite her apology it appeared that they werent going to fit her in but in the end they did, so why were they so rude to her?
    We were given a questionaire which asked us how we wanted our makeup/ hair. However when I got into the chair with the makeup artist, she asked me the same questions again! The make up artist I had was good but the one my daughter had was not that good. The makeup they used was the sort you can buy on the market/ in the £1 shop, it was all a bit of a mixed match. Our appointment was late in the day & after us the artists packed away what appeared to be their own make up boxes and left.
    After makeup we moved to the hair chair where a young girl either curled or straightened your hair. My hair being quite short had a bit of gel rubbed in and that was that. (Similar studios costing £50 offer cut & blow drys as part of the experience.)
    Once hair & makeup is done, it back onto the sofas to wait for teh photographer to collect you. I was rather upset during this time to witness one photograher collecting her client and then saying "oh have you had your make up & hair done?" To which the client said "yes". So if the photographer couldnt tell if teheclient had had her hair & make up done, doesnt that say something! I was alos amazed to observe the hair/ beauty artists taking moblie phone calls whilst attending to clients.
    Whilst on the settees waiting we helped ourselves to wine or fruit juice. I did ask fro sparking water but they were unable to oblige. More waiting, after just 2 hours since we'd arrived our photograher came and collected us. We had been asked to bring 3 changes of clothes plus accessories, so like most clients we had a rather large suitcase. We then had to carry our case down the stairs into the basement. There were 4 changing cubicles that you can hardly move in, especially with a bag or case in them. There were hooks and a few coat hangers. The curtains are thin material that you can see through. It was rather entertaining especially as there were males & females there.(My 17 year old was not impressed)
    The basement was cold and had halogen & electric heaters here & there. I did get worried when one young girl was warming herself in front of it in a very beautiful evening dress that looked like it could set on fire any moment as she jogged up & down to keep warm.
    I was so glad we were late in the day as pretty soon the other clients left which meant we werent being watched when changing/ being photographed by others or having to share the heaters.
    Our photographer was lovely, able to get everyone at ease and very encouraging and friendly. She did speak a little too much about herself, this was our day, our treat and at £500 one would expect to be treated like royalty!!
    The sets were very tatty- backgrounds that had seen better days, chairs and settees with tears, broken items. I have seen better chairs on car boot sales. Its Ok though because they etch the tears out of the chair arm on your photos.
    Another 2 hours had passed and we then had to wait 15 minutes to see our photos. It was now gone 8.15, we had arrived at 4pm had a couple of drinks to keep us going but at no point offered any food. You are not allowed drinks in the studio even though the photographers drink down there! When I was told we could have unlimited rereshments I had expected some sort of food, maybe crisps, fruit or a biscuit may have helped. After nearly 5 hours, the blood sugar is gettting low.
    Anyway photos were ready, so into a small room where a technician ran though each digital photo on a PC screen. We had the option delete or keep. We deleted several but kept over 30. The £500 prize included one photo on CD. I expected we'd get one each but no just one as I was teh only 1 who'd won the prize. The photos started from £75 each. The more you buy the cheaper they become. You can buy over 12 months and pay over £2000 for the collection of 30 photos. You get them on disk & they give you the copyright so you can print as many as you like. If you buy on the day they cost you £790.
    Friends who have had similar photos done have paid £700- £3000 for 3-10 photos in frames. So £790 for 30 on disc and the copyright seems Ok to me. They save them in Flicker, B&W and the colour ones. We paid the £700 as we'd paid the £90 deposit, and were given a disc each. I have been promised etched/ editted photos on 3 discs within 28 days and the 30 pictures printed on A4. I look forward to them.
    Overall an Ok experience but not worth £500.
    I will copy this to the owner and I hope she takes onboard my comments, especiallly those about the unprofessionalism- using mobiles etc,
  • Good day
    Its cover girl studio ,we would look into your complaint and drastic measures would be taken.Thanks for all the feed backs.
    Natasha Smith
    Covergirl studio
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides