October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.6K views

Replies

• hi Mrs M

Sorry to hear you are feeling rubbish hope you are better soon.

I wanted to let you know I now have my Remoska and have tried your recipe for bread. it really does taste fantastic so a BIG THANK YOU.:T
  • Just popping in to update - sorry I've been carp at updating this month!

Total spend so far £126.38 which leaves me just £33.62 for the rest of the month - EEK!

Did manage to stock up on condensed soups at Mr M's on Sat (half price at 28p tin - great for cooking sauces!), and do now have a pretty full freezer and still tonnes of pasta & rice in the cupboard from last month's stockup, so fingers crossed I can make it to the end of the month - only bread/rolls, milk & F&V to buy.

Meal plan went a bit haywire at the w/e as DH & I were both ill, so lots of toast & tea but not much in the way of 'proper food' was eaten - hence I now have a nice piece of pork in the freezer which would have been Sunday lunch - oh well - saved a few quid I suppose, but I can think of nicer ways to save money (and lose weight!).

Luck all!

FE
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • milliemonstermilliemonster Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, can I join in? I need some serious help with cutting down my grocery budget as I get tempted too much by 'stuff' when I go shopping, there are four us 2 adults and 9yr old (although she eats like an adult!) and a 5 yr old fussy boy. My budget is £200 a month. I have a slow cooker and like to bake etc but my biggest problem is we have loads in the freezer, but I forget to get something out to defrost overnight before we go to bed and end up having to go shopping again to buy something for tea!!!

I need to get into a routine I think
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • hi Mrs M

Sorry to hear you are feeling rubbish hope you are better soon.

I wanted to let you know I now have my Remoska and have tried your recipe for bread. it really does taste fantastic so a BIG THANK YOU.:T

:j :j :j :j :j :j
    Glad you like it, hope you have loads of fun with your new [strike]toy[/strike] -extremely important piece of kitchen equipment :rotfl:

Hi Milliemonster and welcome on board... I will go and put you on the list ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • egonegon Forumite
    439 Posts
    Just had a MrT delivery. Very happy with it. With promotions and vouchers, it came to £33.77. Way over what I wanted to spend, but there where a few bulk buys for things on offer. (Laughing cow 16 triangles for 0.68 - bargain!)

My total so far is £149.53. That leaves me with £40.47 for the last 2 weeks. This should be manageable!!!!

MrsM I hope you are feeling better soon. ((((((((Hugs)))))))
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • hi guys, sorry i haven't been here for a while, have updated my signature not doing too good :(.

But then this is my first month at this, so maybe i am better off seeing what we usually spend and getting better next month. I have kept my receipts so i will see where the money is going.

I do have a quick question though about stews. Can i add oats to bulk it a bit - how much would i add and will Quaker Oats do??

thankyou
    Wins in 2013 - Jan - Heinz No Noise Ketchup.
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    I spent £48.39 on a asda delivery which i got on monday just gone. My taget is £25 a week but as this shop will last me till end of month i will be going the rest of month on £50 (putting my £25 a week together to make 2 weeks). Only have £1.61 left but have lots of milk/f&v in. only thing i need to buy is bread but Netto have it in for 30p :)
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    katiejones wrote: »
    ... But then this is my first month at this, so maybe i am better off seeing what we usually spend and getting better next month. I have kept my receipts so i will see where the money is going.

yes, good idea to keep receipts and then see how much it totals up for the month. when you check the receipts you may also find areas where you can cut back a little more and so reduce your budget next month.;)

not sure about the oatmeal as I've never done it; I've seen people post that they just 'bung in a handful' but I'm sure you'll get more precise instructions than that. :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Natty68Natty68 Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just popping on to tally up my spending so far, eeks it's come to £59.95. I think I am going to have to curb the odd little trips to Asda :(

:(Struggling financially :(

:) Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17 :)
  • bullet_2bullet_2 Forumite
    137 Posts
    I have had an NSD day today. Will have to get weetabix and shampoo tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides