Those long life bulbs ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
2 replies 1.3K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
As a new customer of Savewarm, they sent me 4 light bulbs, 20 watt equall to 100 watt. My first reaction was that they are duller than a normal 100 watt, is this so. If so, would I defeat the object if I bought a greater strength long life bulb ?

Replies

• MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bulbs get brighter once they have been on a bit. It is also a different kind of light. if you put both types of bulb in the same fitting you would see the difference so I don't mix bulb types inthe same room, but you soon get used to it. 100w sounds bright for normal domestic use whe have 40 & 60w equivs for most light fittings.

They really do last longer. Had to replace normal bulbs in sitting room every 6-8 weeks but had energy savers in for 5 years and the firt one has just blown.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • One thing I noticed when I got some fitted for the toilets at work was that if the bulbs are fitted vertical (i.e. hanging or standing like a bedside lamp) they are fine. They do last longer. I think the cheapest I've seen them is in Tescos.

BUT if you have a fitting that is not vertical (some concealed lighting is like this under the cover - not that conceled lighting has been that big since the 80's) the weight of the eco-bulbs causes a bad connection and this makes the bulbs die VERY quickly.

My experience tells me that it would be uneconomical to fit eco-bulbs in those type of fittings.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides