Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. - Page 37

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.3K views

Replies

• wishuswishus Forumite
    936 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I know nothing of rabbits...

Spent last night at a poetry reading, which was free including the wine (nice!), so I gave some change to a homeless guy who asked as I thought I could spare it.

I also indulged in a bus ticket... and some cider, and a takeaway to keep my mom company. Ouchies. Still, woke up this morning with a very sore knee (but not head!), so had to indulge in another bus ticket to get to a writing group, which was lovely. Picked up a book for my 4-yr-old nephew from the library book sale for 25p - couldn't resist! Knee still sore, I was sensible and traipsed through half the town looking for cheap hair conditioner - settled on one from Boots for 59p. Marched to the market, only for potatoes (28p for 2lbs), but came away with a 40p cabbage and a £2.50 concealer as well - hey, It was Maybelline, and I wasn't born with it. More traipsing... failed to find any birthday cards I liked, not even from the shop in the art gallery which I visited on the way to see the BP National Portrait competition exhibition (yes - mostly oils). Oh well, got a few days before next weekend.
    That was all nice, but my knee is right hurty now - think I've damaged a ligament. I thought walking was supposed to be healthy!?!
    I've only given myself what I think is a tight budget for ths month. Might be too tight - mind you, shouldn't have said yes to the takeaway... (note to self - takeaways are bad).

Now wondering what birthday pressies I should get for my bro and my friend who both have birthdays next weekend. And how I shall eat after that! My friend likes good red wine, so if anyone knows of any bargains...? My bro's missus is expecting a baby in January, so I was thinking, maybe a contribution to the baby fund... any ideas welcomed!
    Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!
    October Grocery challenge £88.35/£150
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been to Morrisons today and spent £44 for a weeks stuff for me and DD, so wasn't too bad, except they couldn't give us a receipt, as machine was broken:mad: :mad: :mad: Just adding it to my total:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have been into town today to get some woolies and a new coat - We are going for a week on a boat on the Broads in 2 weeks so have to be prepared with the temp dropping like a stone:eek:

Have spent £39.69 so far, so not too bad. When we go on hols DS will be in the house so I don't suppose I will save anything as will have to stock up on treats for him. Managed to get a few bits in home bargains today - they have granulated sugar for 69p if anyone needs any. Popped to farmfoods as well to get some milk at £1 for 2l, wanted to get plenty but settled for 2 bottles as there were only 5 in the fridge and thought I had better leave some for someone else (though I would have thought that they would have some stashed in the back)

Off to Beverley tomorrow as there is food fair - will have to reign in my spending though, I can always find nice things there and I could just enjoy some of my fave goats cheese:rotfl:

Time to go meal plan I think - I do have that 1/2 pig after all - I think I need an imagination boost.....
  • Jacks_xxxJacks_xxx Forumite
    3.9K posts
    mummygems wrote: »
    Hello.
    I am also going to use up my store-cupboard things this month and then try and cook from scratch next month (although hubby is so fussy its a nightmare). He loves those pasta bake jars so if anyone knows/has a recipe for the Bacon & Tomato pasta bake which doesnt taste like "tomatoes" please could you share. The last time I tried DH said it was too tomatoey.

quote]

Hiya lovely :wave:

Sorry I'm so far behind the thread. :o

To wean my lot off those pricey pasta sauce jars I started making double quantities using one of the jars mixed with pasta sauce recipes from here, some improvisation and all the stretching and bulking out tricks I have learned from awhole year on the GC. :D

Because it still tasted a bit like the old pasta sauce the fam were ok with it and it started to get them used to the taste of "slightly different"

I still use a cheapie 69p pasta sauce from Lidl for quickness now and again when I get in from work at 4:30 and I've got to feed the hungry mouths, start a load, get changed, fuss the cat, and help with homework before I leave for my other job at 6pm. I can churn out yummy pasta in about 12 minutes flat if I use one of those and mostly frozen veggies.

But enough of that - if hubby doesn't like tomatoey would he prefer "cheesey" instead - or "meaty"? Adding a beef stock cube can make meals taste much meatier (and less tomatoey!) than they really are.

Ok off to read the next 18 pages (probably!) of the thread now!

Love Jacks xxx :D

PS Forgot to say earlier....Does anybody else think they are watering down the milk all of a sudden?????

I know I might sound demented :o but we 've been buying "red" skimmed milk for tea and "green" semi skimmed milk for cereal and drnking since forever but several weeks a ago I started noticing my son an't drinking as much milk, and that I wasn't enjoying drinking tea so much - even though the bags were Typhoo - which are my favourite.

We tried a couple of other brands of tea bags to no avail and then one day there wasn't any skimmed milk so I bought the "purple" The One milk and my tea was transformed!

So now we have "purple" The One for me and semi skimmed organic for cereal and drinking and we're all happy again.

(This is just me isn't it????? :o:p:D )

PPS Cheers Mumzy! I didn't even notice that milestone. I may have a celebratory choc chip cookie with my :coffee: in a minute.

(We liek to live dangerously on a Saturday night in my house! :rotfl: )
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Please can I put my final total down as i come in OVERBUDGET this week by £2.05 so my total for week was £27.05 . I won't be spending anything else untill Monday when my new budget starts.

:D
    Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    mummygems wrote: »
    Hello.
    I am also going to use up my store-cupboard things this month and then try and cook from scratch next month (although hubby is so fussy its a nightmare). He loves those pasta bake jars so if anyone knows/has a recipe for the Bacon & Tomato pasta bake which doesnt taste like "tomatoes" please could you share. The last time I tried DH said it was too tomatoey.

quote]

Hiya lovely :wave:

Sorry I'm so far behind the thread. :o

To wean my lot off those pricey pasta sauce jars I started making double quantities using one of the jars mixed with pasta sauce recipes from here, some improvisation and all the stretching and bulking out tricks I have learned from awhole year on the GC. :D

Because it still tasted a bit like the old pasta sauce the fam were ok with it and it started to get them used to the taste of "slightly different"

I still use a cheapie 69p pasta sauce from Lidl for quickness now and again when I get in from work at 4:30 and I've got to feed the hungry mouths, start a load, get changed, fuss the cat, and help with homework before I leave for my other job at 6pm. I can churn out yummy pasta in about 12 minutes flat if I use one of those and mostly frozen veggies.

But enough of that - if hubby doesn't like tomatoey would he prefer "cheesey" instead - or "meaty"? Adding a beef stock cube can make meals taste much meatier (and less tomatoey!) than they really are.

Ok off to read the next 18 pages (probably!) of the thread now!

Love Jacks xxx :D

I just noticed you just posted your 1,500 post so well done :T :T

OK to keep this on topic I had a NSD today so thats my second in a row..making it third one tomorrow
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • BlairweechBlairweech Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    OrkneyStar I have just made your flapjacks and they are lovely! Mine seem to have gone quite oily though, not sure why...

Just emailed tesco to ask why they are not putting their value products online anymore, will let you all know the answer when it arrives

Have not spent anything so far, but will have to buy milk and potatoes tomorrow. I have started keeping a spending diary again, I need to know where my money is going.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Blairweech wrote: »
    Just emailed tesco to ask why they are not putting their value products online anymore, will let you all know the answer when it arrives

:confused: my Tesco still has value products online, does it depend on your local store?

I had a delivery on Monday that was predominantly Value products - I often wonder what the person picking it thinks - is it someone who thinks "what a skinflint" or an OS'er who thinks "ahh someone with sense" :rotfl:
    Piglet
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 posts
    Another NSD. The weather is absolutely horrid, so didn’t go out at all! Will have to go out tomorrow for the main shop and am working on the list.

I don’t think I will need any meat or fresh veggies this month, as there is enough in the freezer not to mention the recent batch cooking & UFOs. Will need fresh fruit, for pack-ups & snacks. And we are getting through a lot of milk/eggs/cheese. I am still buying the extra mature cheddar even though it is not the cheapest; there is usually at least one on special offer & need less to get a really cheesy flavour.

First experiment with SC (beef casserole) is OK. Not amazing, so not completely converted, though that may be due to what went into it rather than anything else. Will try sausage casserole tomorrow, as have some sausages that need using & plenty of canned tomatoes, beans etc.
  • catnap53catnap53 Forumite
    227 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have spent 110.23 so far, but this includes Costco offers, Branston beans, toilet rolls and minced steak that will last forever. I was very good and avoided most other stuff apart from juice, milk eggs, bananas and strawberries (and the cream must have just followed the strawberries in)

Went to the F+V shop in the town centre and the ethnic shop across the road and got some stock there too.

We had mince and onion and gravy for tea, I was being watched so couldn't stretch it, although as we had mashed potato, carrots, peas, cabbage and spinach with it we didn't need much of the mince. I have loads left and so little room in the freezer.

Since I got my new chef two weeks ago so I could increase the amount of bread I make DH has not eaten any of his plastic bread. Now I would be happy about that if the freezer wasn't full of it when I need the space for other things :mad:

Zzzz

• teedy23teedy23 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a nice wee shop today. On the way to a mystery shopping job I popped into a Sainsbury,s. Had my nectar card with me for once so thought I,d get the few things I needed for tonights cook-in and use some points. Well woopsie land ! Picked up a pack of mixed peppers (not reduced) at £1.39, a bit dear but I wasnt going to get them anywhere else at that time, two small packs of mushrooms reduced to 30p a lemon (not reduced) and a punnet of strawberries reduced to 89p. Went to the till and asked if I could use my nectar points "oh yes" says the nice young man on the till "if I can remember how to do it" chuckles all round. Well he didnt remember so went for the manager, who tried and failed to do it. "oh " says he "Ithink you have to use them in the shop you use most" " I dont usually shop in Sainbury at all" says I "I only ever used them in debenhams and they dont take them anymore" "I mean the shop you registered in" says he " I registered on line " says I "well then" says he, fiddling with the till " I,ve taken a couple of things off, is that ok?" says he Yes thats ok "says I looking at the sub total the till. 90p a bargain.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.