Off To College Thanks To MSE

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
19 replies 3.2K views
SpendlessSpendless Forumite
22K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
Over the time I've been a member, we have implemented several of the ideas and suggestions. Last year DH told me his employer had introduced childcare vouchers. I was aware of what benefit they had, having read about them on here. I saw that it might be a chance for me to attend college and update my skills with a view to returning to work once youngest was at full time school. I was also fortunate enough to find a heavily subsidised available to all college course.

I packed in my small part time job I had at Christmas and today I started at college. Daughter is going to local nursery, using childcare vouchers whilst I'm there, so it reduces our fees. Cost will reduce further once she turns 3.

A few years ago this would not have been possible. We would not have been able to afford my loss of income, however small. Nor would we have able to afford the cost of nursery, so thanks to Martin and MSE for the advice they have given which has meant we have been able to do this.

:j :T
threadbanner.gif

Replies

• divadeedivadee Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations hun, let us know how you get on. Really proud of you :T :T :T
  • PoppycatPoppycat Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck, I hope everything works out for you.

Its a lovely feeling knowing that there is some hope that a fresh start in life. :)

• Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :T.....:T.....:T
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thats brilliant news. I am so pleased for you. :beer:
  • sparky61sparky61 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done spendless.
    :beer:
  • Well done :T

.... I hope you have a bright, shiny, new, pencil case :D;)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    22K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    Well done :T

.... I hope you have a bright, shiny, new, pencil case :D;)
    LOL- no actually I don't. I have a new large office type bag that santa (mum and dad) brought me. I felt a right plonker this morning lugging in this great big bag whilst others had dinky cute handbags. By the end though,having got various leaflets,booklets, forms to fill in etc, the other students were struggling to keep them together. I just put mine into my sooper-dooper bag:D
  • Awww well done hun and good luck to you :T :T :T
  • Good for you, you must be over the moon. Don't know how old you are but they class mature students (when I went to College anyway) as 21 or over. There was this retired ex Metropolitan Police Woman DC who was 53 when she started her course, what a hoot she was. She wiped the floor with the rest of the students on the course too, she picked up a bunch of awards and everything. Good on her.

Hope it all goes well for you. Remember too that you'll get your student discounts, so be sure to claim them, ok. Get your student ID card asap and start saving.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spendless wrote:
    LOL- no actually I don't. I have a new large office type bag that santa (mum and dad) brought me. I felt a right plonker this morning lugging in this great big bag whilst others had dinky cute handbags. By the end though,having got various leaflets,booklets, forms to fill in etc, the other students were struggling to keep them together. I just put mine into my sooper-dooper bag:D

Well done Spendless.:j

If you haven't already bought your stationery, Asda prices are very keen.;)
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides