October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.7K views

Replies

• OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all (just lol- should be at Church but me and DS overslept :o, so doing my chores list and posting on here!).
    Ok firstly thanks Pink, MrsM and Rosieben for starting us off and getting us organised for October's challenge!
    My Oct started on Friday, so far have done a few small shops and a couple of middling shops (and you can see how much I have spent by looking at my sig :))- it's a 5 week month for us, although hoping to manage ok as we are quite well stocked up (I have a cupboard/freezer list and am trying to use up stuff as well as buy some fresh!).
    I wanted to tell people that Woolworths are still doing their £1 deals just now- they have little boxes of raisins (18 in pack I think) and Doritos and Cadbury's Dairy Milk 5 standard bars/6 small bars packs among other nice goodies ;).
    Ok, good luck everybody for October, welcome anyone who is new and also welcome back anyone who is returning.
    Take care everyone and remember it is only a bargain if you need it and actually can use it!
    xx
    OS
    Edited to add- for those posting meal plans or anyone interested in meal plans in general there is a weekly meal plan thread- here is the link to this weeks one (Pink I was gonna suggest a link at the start but then it would need to be changed every week so maybe not! :rolleyes:)
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • :hello:Hey everyone,

Please put me down for £160 for October :D (have a feeling we may fail this month as I have my student loan coming in next week and so will have money for the first time in 3 months!!). I will try my best though, promise!!
    DFW Nerd 1050 (09/08 overdraft £1200)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    GC Sept:£136/£200 Oct:£60/£160
    Smoke free since 08/08/08
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My October month starts on 1st...not much in the line of shopping happening since OH has been in hospital...DD4 and I are trying to empty the cupboards as much as possible, so hope that the €300 will leave some money at the end of the month to get the Christmas chocolates, biscuits or maybe even turkey to stick in freezer.

Good luck to all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • ArilAril Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Now done the final shopping for September
    £141.74 spent:j
    Please can you put me down for £160 again for October
    Many thanks!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi I did well last month and still have a fair amount in the freezer so can you put me down for £160 this month please?
    I'm going to try really hard and pick up a few Christmas bits out of this too, like tinned fruit, meat etc if poss.

I'd be really grateful if you could show me how to make minced beef go a long way, need to bulk cook some for freezing?
  • ravylesleyravylesley Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I failed last month but I'm trying a different approach.With hubby and I both dieting we are eating loads more fresh fruit and veg I need to buy these weekly so I'm going to set myself a £50 per week limit on Asda orders so I can get the fruit and veg and any other bits I need without me blowing the budget.Then the rest of the budget will be held in reserve in case I need it.Thats the theory whether it will work in practice who knows:rotfl:

I've got cupboards full of flours and baking stuff and both freezers are crammed so unless some absolutely cant be missed bargains come along I should come under budget this month and that should leave me some money to start chrissie present buying:T

Lesleyxx
  • juliejimjuliejim Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay I've been missing off here for a couple of months but I'm back so please put me down for £300 MrsM.

This is for me, DH, DD (6), DS (5), 2 dogs & 2 fish!
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • can i join please so plan to spend £150 this month

first time for everything
    :mad: 5 account to clear- £14580.47/£1074.90- 7.3% paid off
    debt free nov 2012 before that I hope
    sealed jar no 420
  • nickynoo08nickynoo08 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi can you put me down for £100 for oct please. Fell off the wagon this month and need to make up for it this month
    Thanks
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • RummerRummer Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really need to pull things in to line this month so I would like to be listed for a monthly total of £200thank you! I am determined to stick to it this month. To be realistic this price is to include any sneaky takeaways that we consume!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum