Road equivalent tariff

in Scotland
5 replies 716 views
scbkscbk Forumite
1.2K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
I understand RET will be starting on the western isle ferries soon, but does anyone know when exactly?
Can't find much on the internet

Replies

• Angua2Angua2 Forumite
    673 Posts
    Is THIS it? Says it will start 19 October...
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • nesssie1702nesssie1702 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it kicks in when the Winter timetable start in October for the next three years! :)

Doesn't apply on all Cal Mac routes though :(
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Initially it is on the "main" access routes to the Outer Isles - so Stornoway > Ullapool, Lochboisdale/Castlebay > Oban and :j Lochamaddy/Tarbert > Uig :j

I can't confirm details on the other crossings, but on the Lochmaddy route it's roughly halved the fare for a car with driver and passenger. I believe the Lochboisdale route is about the same saving so I'd guess that they are all similar. It's going to make a hell of a difference to residents, but one possible negative effect might be to increase the number of folk making the Oban crossing to stock up on shopping on the mainland. Having said that though, particularly on the southern islands, for the co-ops to have a little more competition might not be a bad thing. The hope is that when the three year pilot is over it will extend to all crossings and inter island routes also.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
  • nesssie1702nesssie1702 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, reckon that RET will make a difference to folk staying in the Hebrides. One thing that we'll have to watch is that ferry bookings are made in plenty of time, as I can imagine that some sailings will be very popular indeed.

Doing things on Hebridean time might not be an option any more!! ;)
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...that's a good point actually. :p
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 :D
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides