IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Tyres - New or Part Worn

in Motoring
37 replies 48.6K views

Replies

• having watched 5th gear last night, i would never by part worn tyres, and never have, usually pay about 50 each on the wifes punto
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • TarryTarry Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    My father does the tyre buying business for his car not me, I was stating what he told me. I personally do not drive as I know I could not afford it.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • LandyAndy wrote: »
    Using this logic you should always immediately change all the tyres on any second hand car you buy.

However on a second hand car, there's other clues you can use such as dings on the rims of the wheels.
  • Can i just say the muppet who says "if you cant afford new tyres you cant afford to drive" is a fool. I went everywhere today and the best i got was £45 a tyre for some snidey things.

Ultimately i settled for Part worn.

Thanks for all the input.
  • i love part worn- have used em for over 10 years, lots of miles, no problems

loadsa money saved
  • snap, ive always bought part worns,

surely if they were that bad, they would have made them illegal by now?!
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • darichdarich Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I'm sure many of the tyres sold as part worn are fine. I'm sure there are many that are perfectly save and will safe you many pounds for every part worn you buy.
    I appreciate that many of you have bought dozens of part worns and had no problems but without being able to trace the full history of that tyre, you have no idea if it came from a car that was the victim of a blown engine and scrapped or if it was in a multi-car pile up somewhere, perhaps even exposed to higher temperatures than it was designed to.

However, if you do end up with the few that will inevitably have some sort of internal structural damage then you really are gambling with your life and those of the passengers you carry.

I have no problem with those who buy part worn tyres but you should probably tell everyone who gets in your car of the gamble they're about to take.
    And if you're driving down the motorway and one does start to fall apart because the steel reinforcement has been broken, i just hope you don't take me out on your way!!

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • DKLSDKLS Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Makes you wonder if they have scrimped on tyres what else have they scrimped on?, I will not gamble my safety. And agree with Darich, you should be responsible and warn your passengers.
  • I used part worns for years, I usually buy them from scrap yards already on rims, so they don't get damaged in the removal/refitting process. I take safety seriously, I wouldn't fit second hand brake pads or discs, but I think tyres are a good bet second hand.

My car was a popular make, so tyres on rims were easy to find, I paid £35 for a set of four from a bloke that had changed his wheels for alloys. Branded makes, very good tread, and better than the cheapies.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    sturll wrote: »
    Can i just say the muppet who says "if you cant afford new tyres you cant afford to drive" is a fool. I went everywhere today and the best i got was £45 a tyre for some snidey things.

Ultimately i settled for Part worn.

Thanks for all the input.

Why is he/she a muppet, there is logic in saying if you cant afford to run/repair/replace then you cant afford to drive.

£45 a corner, £180 for a set is nothing when it comes to the safety of you, your passengers and other road users
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum