MARTIN LEWIS Q&A WITH RISHI SUNAK
Chancellor Rishi Sunak joined Martin for a video Q&A to discuss the cost of living support package that was recently announced - you can watch it HERE

Car Sickness - Dog

in Pets & Pet Care
63 replies 35.4K views

Replies

• Hi there,
    Doggies can get travel sick and it isnt a very pleasent experience for doggie or owner!

This thread maybe some use to you:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=688157&highlight=dog+sick+in+car

you can also get special doggie sickness tablets which work for our doggie :)

hope that helps x
    I'm getting married in August 2015
    :j
  • There are several things you can use for travel sickness. Ginger tablets are a good natural remedy and the ones from most good vets are mainly natural too (and include ginger amongst other stuff). Rescue remedy might be an idea if your dog gets anxious.

The dribbling makes it sound like proper motion sickness and I've recently discovered you can use arnica for travel sickness and jetlag so that could be worth a try. I suggest trying whichever of these methods and do a few test runs. Ensure you leave about 20mins to let remedy take effect and avoid travelling on a full tummy. Light and bland meals 4 hours before the journey might help too.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Perry is 8 months now and he goes in the car every week, but the poor thing still gets sick.

I've done the brown paper under a towel (old wives tale but it helped)
    sea legs travel sickness tablet (vet recommended this)
    DAC spray in the car
    Caged whilst in car with window down
    window up
    window down
    loose on the back seat (never again after mass explosion from both ends)
    frozen kong
    small meal early in the day and nothing till we get to where we are going.

My poor pup still happily gets in the car, but it can't be fun for the lil fella

He now wears a DAC collar, car gets sprayed with DAC 30 mins before a journey, and today i gave him a sea legs tablet first thing and again about 3 hours before the journey, and he wasn't sick (yay :T)

journeys are usually about 30 mins.

I'm worried about giving him 2 tablets in one day, he's been quiet this afternoon, probably a bit drowsy.

I'm thinking of giving him one sea legs tablet early in the morning of the day of travel and then no more.....

poor pup i would love for him to enjoy the journeys, and a big fuss is made when we have a successful journey.

We thought perhaps it was the traffic fumes, we've given him ginger although he hates it now....

HELP is needed, as you can see i have tried lots of things but open to more suggestions.

oh and yes i did do the slowly introducing to the car, etc
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • What worked for my dog was to give her a bean bag. It gave her some extra stability in the car and stopped the car sickness overnight
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    interesting!

he has a cage which is behind the passenger seat and wedged so it cannot move, but he can still slide a lil in the cage.

so forget the cage and try beanbag?

OH had him loose in his car and he still threw up.

I could i suppose put bean bag in foot well behind passenger seat, *has a good think
  • Have you tried the Tablets.

1 per day.
    Thomson 757 Man
  • SagarisSagaris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Our dog used to throw up for England in the car! I now put old towels down everywhere she sits (including the back of the seat and the floor!), but since I've put a car harness on her and made sure she's not eaten anything for a couple of hours before the trip- she's fine. Can't remember the last time she was carsick - and she's just turned 14!
    I think she just wasn't feeling secure before, now as soon as we put her in (front or back seat) when she hears the seat belt click she just lies down and sleeps - long or short journeys. Think they sell them in Argos and Pets at Home etc?
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried the Tablets.
    1 per day.

Only when we go out in the car, Will try the one first thing in the morning of the day of travel, or the night before if it's an early start.
    Sagaris wrote: »
    Our dog used to throw up for England in the car! I now put old towels down everywhere she sits (including the back of the seat and the floor!), but since I've put a car harness on her and made sure she's not eaten anything for a couple of hours before the trip- she's fine. Can't remember the last time she was carsick - and she's just turned 14!
    I think she just wasn't feeling secure before, now as soon as we put her in (front or back seat) when she hears the seat belt click she just lies down and sleeps - long or short journeys. Think they sell them in Argos and Pets at Home etc?

Yes I've even done the harness thing, still happens :(

Vet did say I could take pup down to get some sedatives but then poor pup will be really doped up...
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont forget the crate - still use that because its the safest way to transport a pet but put some non slip matting down to stop pup sliding around and cover the top and sides of crate so pup cant see things moving past him - helps with motion sickness
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I collected my dog as a puppy we had a 5 hour journey with him to take him home. Obviously we stopped as much as possible but the poor boy was horrendously sick and also messed himself.

I guess this put him off car journeys so he would literally shake anywhere near the car. If we took him out in it he was always sick and would cry.

What worked for him took a while but it was basically to start off with him just sitting in the car. Didn't even start the engine just sat there stroking him and praising him, maybe giving him a small treat. Did this several time. Then sat in the car and started the engine, again stroking, praising etc. After a few times of that moved the car just literally yards. We built up from that and not only did the car not scare him he became a really good traveller. We can travel long distances and he is never sick. He will look out the window or lay down and often sleeps (he travels on the back seat) for a lot of the journey.

I have recommended this way to several friends and it has always worked so may be worth trying. As I say, it is a bit of a slow process but so worth it.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides