Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts. - Page 90

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 114.7K views

Replies

• Not been keeping up with thread as i've been busy and it moves too fast! Did my weekly shop yesterday and spent £29.67 so have updated my signature. Mr S are doing 12 medium FR eggs for £1.93 :D Hoping for lots of NSD's this week. Hope everyone is doing well.

MrT is doing 15 FR eggs for £2 ;)

Anyone struggling to keep up with the GC please read this thread: Grocery Challenge Thread Options and post any comments / suggestions :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • I am so cross with myself!

The OH went to town last night to check his bank balance and then rang to say he was too tired to cook tonight and shall we have pizza. I KNOW I should have said No, let's just have beans on toast or something rather than you cook, but instead I said 'Oooh yummy' and we had take away pizza. And yes it was nice, and yes it was buy one get one free, but nevertheless it is £14.98 gone in one fell swoop.

*Hangs head in shame*

*Goes to change siggy*

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Lucifa73Lucifa73 Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. Have got this far with only a spend of about £30 (and Hubbles went BOGOF crazy (all good stuff too) so freezer and cupboards crammed!) which is great as when I finally had the courage to add up August's grocery spends it came to almost £350 on a budget of £200:o and that doesn't include 2 meals out:o :o .

Still, seem to be back on track for September. Made stew in slowcooker yesterday (it was in and doing its thing by 6.30am:eek: - baby on board doing weird stuff to my sleep patterns as I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a morning person:p ). We had some for dinner last night (yu-u-um!), froze a meal's worth with plenty of the gravy and still had enough gravy left over to freeze separately for with a roast in at some point in the future:A .

Going through milk at a scary rate at the moment - ice cold milk and potatoes seem to be my main pregnancy cravings at the moment... could be a lot worse!

Need to get cat food and (more:o ) milk tonight and a couple fresh veggies but nothing drastic.

Luc x
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Oh dear. It's only the 8th and I'm over 2/3 of the way into my budget already! Silly me didn't stick to the shopping list completely! Although the things I bought were big bags of rice, pasta, etc which should keep me going for a while. Only plan on buying fresh stuff like bread, milk and f&v for the rest of the month.

Although speaking of bread; having read all of your posts about how nice the HM stuff turns out and finding that my oat bread in tesco is now up to £1.19 :eek: (and I refuse to go back to value since I eat sandwiches for lunch most days) I really want to make my own!

The only problem is all the recipes I've found tells me to throw all my ingredients into a BM.....which I don't have and really can't afford right now. :(

Does anyone have an easy recipe or any tips for making bread by hand for the first time?
    Also are these packet mixes I've read about suitable for hand made bread or should they really only be used in a BM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :beer:
  • Does anyone have an easy recipe or any tips for making bread by hand for the first time?
    Also are these packet mixes I've read about suitable for hand made bread or should they really only be used in a BM?

There are recipes on the first page of this thread HM Bread / Oatmeal bread (I think you could use the same method for HM bread to make the oatmeal bread by hand instead of using a BM) ;)

I have made the bread mixes by hand and they turn out well (I think most people actually say that the hovis mixes work better by hand than by BM) :D HTH

Nikki x
    :A
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Well, I dashed out to MrT at lunchtime - and forgot my list! :o I was almost totally lost without it, but at least managed to remember the couple of things I needed for tonight's dinner, and will have to pick up the rest after work tomorrow. I had a wander around and picked up a few whoopsies for my lunch today and some jam and custard Jammie Dodgers cos they were half price and I couldn't resist :o. Somehow managed to spend £11.72 on very little tho :eek: and still have about £15-worth to get - so much for only needing to spend £20 this week :rolleyes:

On the plus side tho, I got a shiny new, non-leaking stainless steel kettle, half price at £19.99 from Co-Op Homemaker on my way back. I know I could get a plastic one much cheaper, but it would only feel self-conscious amongst all the stainless steel stuff in my kitchen :rotfl: (and I was kinda good, cos I really wanted the one that lights up when it boils, but that was £43!!!!:eek: I'd want it to make the tea and bring it up to me too for that money!!)
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • angelnikki wrote: »
    There are recipes on the first page of this thread HM Bread / Oatmeal bread (I think you could use the same method for HM bread to make the oatmeal bread by hand instead of using a BM) ;)

I have made the bread mixes by hand and they turn out well (I think most people actually say that the hovis mixes work better by hand than by BM) :D HTH

Nikki x

Thanks for this. I think I'll try the plain one first and if I get on ok with that I'll start making the oatmeal bread (since it's my favourite type :))

Although I do have a bit of a silly question but in the recipe it says that once the dough had double in size that you should "knock it back" what does this mean? :o
  • angelnikki wrote: »
    Punch it down and then knead it a little bit. ;)

Nikki x

Thank you. :)

I thought it would be something along those lines but wanted to be sure since I'll probably need all the help I can get with this bread making attempt! :p
  • sashanutsashanut Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all

Just panicking as have NO IDEA what to make for dinner tonight......does anyone know the web address of the site where you put in the ingredients list & it suggests dishes please??? I'm sure I've seen it mentioned on here, but forgot to make a not of it. Apologies if I should have posted this elewhere..

On the GC front have updated sig, went to Mr T's & did not stick completely to the list, surprise, suprise, must try harder!!:D
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • ravylesleyravylesley Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Spent £50.16 in Tesco today as I needed some fresh fruit and veg plus they had some salmon steaks and prawns on special offer that I just couldnt resist and I got some of the tins of choccies on BOGOF

Lesleyxx