New Post Advanced Search

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
421 replies 86.3K views

Replies

• genieukgenieuk Forumite
    330 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    We have 4 children and our last two postings have proved difficult in obtaining a qtr, to the point that we are now in a qtr below entitlement. On the one hand you are told your husbands career is importantand that promotion is the way forward etc, then on the other you get accused of putting the family second when do what we have done.

It seems that the lack of housing stock, now means that housing wherever you are, are dictating where you can be posted to. With the current op tempo who would actually also volunteer for an unaccompanied tour on their next posting for 2yrs+
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • kyhkyh Forumite
    278 posts
    genieuk

If they can't offer you suitable housing I am sure you are entitled to a private hiring - have a look at the reference in the JSP above.

K
  • genieukgenieuk Forumite
    330 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks Kyh we are overseas and apparantly no budget for that. We are sorted for the moment but ask me next year or the year after as we all know kids grow so by then youngest two will be 8 & 11.

JSP 464 was interesting when we were being marched out of the last qtr housing guy said we were not entitled to a 4 bed anyway, just which I could have quoted that chapter & verse.

Just amazing how different areas interpret the rules.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • This is a good idea. I have a problem and your fellow workers were not helpfull at all.

I have a very old cooker in my MQ as I have lived here for 6 years now. It works fine and the only reason I asked for a new one is because I have a little boy who really likes to play with the gas buttons and also igniter. They just said to get more stair gates and lock him out of the kitchen.
    :oCurrent Debt £38,000:o

• Hi All I also have a question about Carpets ..... Anyone know how often these get replaced ?. When I moved into my quarter they were in quite a state and was told just to note it down on move in paper. I would just like to know if anyone has asked for new carpets and the response ? Thanks

Oh and if you wanted them replaced early can you pay to have this done

Thanks again
  • henmuffinhenmuffin Forumite
    312 posts
    Hi, we have the same problem. Our carpets need replacing and the house needs redec. I think its every 8 years the carpets need changing but I am not sure. I have asked to have our jobs done but they are refused because we are living in the house. My OH is on his third posting on the same camp so we are, of course in the same MQ. To be honest I think they just don't want to spend the money whether it needs doing or not.:confused:
    Started comping February 2012
    Wins so far:
    Mascara, dry shampoo, chocolates, Loreal Elvive goody bag.Pot noodle fork , maggi mix, couscous,
  • Thank you for your reply, 8 years I have no hope !!!. I will try and face ringing DEH tomorrow but mine are no way near 8 years old they have just been really mistreated by last people. A few people DH knows were offered a redec and upgrade as the were single dads going away for a while, I would put up with all the mess if it ment a new Kitchen !!!
  • henmuffinhenmuffin Forumite
    312 posts
    I have lots of settlement cracks in my MQ and a surveyor from DHE came out to inspect. He said we need a redec and would request it but said he would doubt very much if DHE would agree. That's coming from DHE's own surveyor following their rules!!I think sometimes its easier to just do it yourself (not that I have mind). I know a few people who have put laminate floor down over existing carpets. I know someone else who hd a flood and all her carpets HAD to be replaced. Now there's a thought :rolleyes:
    Started comping February 2012
    Wins so far:
    Mascara, dry shampoo, chocolates, Loreal Elvive goody bag.Pot noodle fork , maggi mix, couscous,
  • Hi, we moved a little under a year ago after almost a year long fight for a larger quarter, we have 3 children a 16yr old dd, and 2 ds 14 and 4. We were told by our hic that the requirements for a 4 bed was 4 children or 3 all over the age of 10. When i asked them who was supposed to share i was told the 2 boys, our youngest son has special needs so doesn't really sleep, i explained this and was told that he would have to sleep in with us then. After a battle involving our welfare officer, health visitor and hospital consultant, we funally got the move. On march in, our quarter was filthy, the cleaners were still cleaning the kitchen as we were marching in, they were told it was not up to standard, but just walked out the quarter. All the carpets were still wet, so our furniture had to stay outside til we had managed to get it partly dry, it took myself and 3 friends 4 hours to clean the quarter. We were told on march in that we had had new carpets ordered, we said that we didn't want them because of our youngest and was told that we had to have them. They came to fit them after xmas and found that they didn't have enough, so a new order was placed, i was told in may that they have the carpets, and an appointment was made for the following week, day of the appointment received a phonecall to say that they were too busy and would ahve to make another appointment. I am still waiting.
    To be honest I am loathe to leave this quarter now after all the hassle we have had in getting it. Espcially as we when we leave here (another 18 months), both my eldest will be over 18 and in the army's eyes no longer a dependent and shouldn't be living at home.
  • EmmEveEmmEve Forumite
    260 posts
    Carpets are every 10 yrs i believe, i enquired myself recently! They are not likely to replace them unless they are in bad condition but its certainly worth trying. Don't ask don't get with MHS/DE! I have someone coming out to stretch mine as they are rumpled in a few areas but was told if they couldn't do this sucessfully (some of it is in the stairs) they will have to replace them.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a new cooker because your son likes to play with the buttons! .

I know lots of people with cannon ovens that don't cook properly ;)
    Although saying that i had one, got it replaced and the new one didnt work properly either :angry:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support