New Post Advanced Search

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 213.1K views

Replies

• MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    bails wrote: »
    Ooh, Bear Grylls!:heartpuls Thanks for bringing him up Mrs M, he's my hero :o

:rotfl: I can't stand him :p i just couldn't remember the name of the lovely guy i like to watch :rotfl: .... "Ray Mears" my hubby has just told me...that has been bugging me all day :o ..... I will have to look on the weezle thread for the list of foraging books :D .... I have a right bee in my bonet at the moment...think it was finding the Blackberries -at last ..just hope no little blighter has swiped them before i get to them on Saturday;)

Just had shepherds pie and cauli/broccoli cheese -freezer portions.. in an attempt to make a bit of space.. hopefully tomorrow -hubbies ex boss will be bringing me some apples :T only i have no freezer space -yet... so tomorrow is another "freezer food fest" im hoping to wrap any perfect ones in newspaper and storing in the basement..the rest im going to stew -with this weekends blackberries :j

Washing -well we have 1 load on a friday -hubbies smelly work wear so that goes on its own.. then perhaps 2-3 loads max for the rest of the week...

I got a message back today about the PatioGro..it should be £124.83 -i can get it tax free for £107.02... so save £17.81 plus get the irrigation system worth £19.99 for free.. so a saving of £37.80 :T ..quite a saving me thinks..so hubby is sending for that for me for my birthday :j

It sounds like a lot of us are resisting the "bargains" on offer at the moment as they are extras that we don't really need right now :T well done everyone.. its so easy to get carried away isn't it :o

right im back off to the x stitching :D
    have a great evening all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • rockie4rockie4 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Current total stands at £132 but it's 10 days to payday and I have £60 in my purse for everything :mad: so even if I spent it all on food I'd make my target :rotfl:
    Luckily we have quite a lot of veg from the lotty to keep us going, I'm veggie anyway and there's a huge bag of salmon pieces in the freezer should OH fancy them.......but I'm tempted to feed him on value beans on value toast at the moment :mad:
    I've still got a bagfull of blackberries from last years harvest so I'd better use them up this week before I re-stock from my secret blackberry place ;)
  • turbo5019turbo5019 Forumite
    330 posts
    Just up dated sig spent £26.13 after NOW MOC. Now I am going to try and not go near a shop for food for rest of week not sure though DH is home tomorrow and not sure if we have enough milk in. I didn't stray too far from shopping list but MrT didn't have things that I wanted and remembered a few things which I had forgot.
    Only got £25.72 to last me 10 days I think I can do it but I still want to go shopping even though freezer is full and so are the cupboards need to be strong need to be strong.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
  • Evening everyone,

NSD for me today. Kids first day back to school after summer holidays and they're off tomorrow due to the council workers strike so may get them helping with a bit of baking. Have been having a bit of a play with the remoska I got a couple of days ago and so far so good - will try some other recipes tomorrow. Not planning to do any shopping tomorrow always best avoided anyway with three kids in tow. There are some bits which I could do with buying but will see if I can manage without them for the next day or two.
    Have the NOW moc which I might use in Tesco on Saturday but it will depend if it seems worthwhile spending the £30 to benefit from it.

Perrywinkle
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs_Toast wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has used rain cheque coupons in the supermarkets. I've decided to get as much as possible on offer and this sounds like a good idea.:A
    Mr A don't seem to do them; I've notr asked for them in Mr S, but Mr T have what are now called "price promise vouchers"; have a few of these, just go to custonmer service and say what the product is how much etc, they will give you a voucher for up to 6 of the product.
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 21)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • I know I said I was hoping for a NSD tomorrow, well it depends on the weather, mr needs a haircut, but it has rained everyday that he has been at home for the last 2wks, so if it is not raining to morrow then we will have to go to the barbers, in which case I may as well get the shopping that I need as the NSD will be ruined anyway and I can make the rest of the week as NSD's I hope IYKWIM:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mrs M, I've seen alot of blackberries on the main road which is prob not a good place to get them, but Have found another place and will see how many I can get. :j :j But this year the apple tree has gone to pot, the apples are tiny and diseased, hopefully if we prune the tree back hard this year it will pick up in a year or two, so am going to see if there is anywhere around where I can go scumping, ( haven't done that since I was 7 or 8 and got caught by my Dad and sent to bed early all week:eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ):rotfl:
    HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • hiya :hello:

Just had my MrT delivery. Total came to £77.36 after discounts and vouchers. So I have £98.18 left of my budget for next week's shop :D which is £158.18 left of what exOH gave me :shhh:
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, I don't think I could shop online (not that we have the option here anyway!) as I like to choose my peppers lol! ... Lets hope the delivery people pick you nice fresh, round, sweet yummy ones :T

I dont shop online by choice but I'm agoraphobic & have PVFS/ME so its quite hard for me to go out and do it myself. I dont mind buying store cupboard stuff online but would prefer to be able to choose my own fruit & veg and meat :( The peppers I got tonight were nice big fresh ones though :j

Was supposed to go to the dentist today :eek: but I had to get exOH to phone up and cancel for me cos I had a panic attack about going :o which is not surprising I guess cos of what happened last time and because I nearly died at the dentists when I was 10 cos they couldnt bring me round after knocking me out :eek: I'll have to make another appointment for a few weeks time but I'm not looking forward to it.

Dinner tonight was poached eggs, chips & beans with HM Bread Nomnomnom :D

Take care everyone :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • AlwaysHappyAlwaysHappy Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Today I've only spent £1.01 - got some fruit for packed lunch box. I then noticed that I had been overcharged and got a £2 giftcard - bargain!!!
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • ChellChell Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I will update my sig later, I spent about £35 in Asda. I started to order a Tesco shop but it only came to £25 so I wouldn't be able to use a d/code. my Mum then rang and asked me if I needed anything so she took me shopping. My shopping was going to be cheaper with Tesco as I missed things that I knew were cheaper elsewhere.

Asda still has two packs of good cheddar for £5 which I got. I like to buy strong cheese for cooking so I use less.

Our budget is £60 per week for 2 adults, five year old and three and a half year old. M is breast fed and wears cloth nappies so isn't costing anything yet. The budget included cleaning things and toileteries. We are vegetarian but I don't always think that is cheaper as nice veg can be so expensive. I don't buy value food except things like flour. We eat as well when I budget as when I don't keep a track and spend more. Better planning makes a lot of difference. I make most things from scratch but don't make bread.

Washing - I do 1 wash most days, sometimes 2. M was in disposables for the first few days so I've only had nappies to wash since the end of last week. I don't know how many washes I'll have now. I rarely use the tumble dryer but having nappies to dry now I think I need a second airer.

Too get cheaper electricity at night you need to have Economy seven. I used to wash at night until someone I know had her kitchen burn down while she was asleep. It was a new w/machine that caused it.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • ChellChell Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to ask, I bought fresh peas as they were reduced to 30p per bag. My DS podded them all and I then put them in the colander and poured boiling water over them. Can I freeze them now or do I need to blanch them first?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!