Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged) - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
261 replies 26.1K views

Replies

• SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Omega

Hope you don't mind me replying to your request for Choccie Cake recipes like this rather than in the OS thread for today. Thought that you'd be more likely to see it this way.

Anyway, here are links to the cakes bit of the "Mega Index" (see the blue band towards the top of the screen when you're anywhere in Old Style). If anyone has any other recipes maybe you could add them on? Pretty please :rudolf:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=480391&postcount=10

I made the Milk Chocolate Cake and tested it on my work colleagues. They all survived, hurrah!

• omega_2omega_2 Forumite
    251 posts
    Thanks ever such a lot, Snowy: that's really kind of you. It looks just what I'm looking for!
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a very good thread on chocolate cakes which I have now added your posts to, so now you have a whole lot more recipes to choose from :)

Remember that posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read the thread from the beginning to catch up.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • honey28honey28 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm (attempting) to make in the next few days a chocolate birthday cake for my OH. I have a recipe at home and also the one from the recipe index (thank you!). I have also been given a recipe for chocolate fudge frosting for the middle and top. Will this be of a runny consistency? When I put it on top of the cake what do I do - I mean do I swirl it out or does it pour off edges? (can you tell I'm new to this - any previous cakes have involved being topped with butter icing) :confused::confused: My next question is then - is that enough to decorate it or should I be doing something else - I had thought of topping it with various chocolate sweets - buttons, maltesters etc but will they stick? (I love Chocolate, OH sort of does but what the heck..!!)
    Any suggestions very gratefully appreciated! :o
  • lexlex Forumite
    266 posts
    The frosting may or may not be a bit runny! I don't have much success and always end up having to put the icing in the fridge for a bit to cool down and thicken! Then it's a bit like butter icing to work with. (well it probably isn't to the educated professional but hey...)

A good tip I find if your icing looks less than perfect is to grate plain chocolate over the top - hides a multitude of sins!

You could add chocolate buttons or something if you wanted, but only if you fancy it!

HTH

lex
    Competition wins -
    May 09 - Horrid Henry book box set, 8GB ipod touch, Jan 10 - Creme Egg keyring, 4 Ripley's Believe it or not museum tickets! Feb 10 - Annabel Karmel snacks, Disney laptop, tumble tots back pack, tumble tots DVD, basket of fruit,
    Mar 10 - Farm Frenzy 3 PC game, GHD styler carry case, May 10 - 44 inch chest DVD
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    this is from the bero book melt two and a half oz of marg mix in 2tbsp cocoa powder then stir in 9oz icing sugar 3tbsp hot milk and 1tsp vanilla essence beat till smooth and thick can be used to fill the cake and to ice it
  • polpol Forumite
    643 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I like to brush the sides with warmed apricot jam and roll in vermicelli or hundreds and thousands and top with melted fudge with a bit of coffee in. Fudge icing can be as runny/stiff as you like, just let it cool a bit before you ice the cake. If it's runny, you can always put some greaseproof paper round the cake, ice it and leave in the fridge till set.

You could try melted mars bar/toffees/marshmallow for the top and put as much cream as you can get into the middle. I say practice first, but you'll have to eat the evidence!

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • turn it into a log castle with cream and cadburys chocolate fingers!!! with maybe milkyway buttons? us big boys enjoy kiddy things!
  • Buy CHUNKY Milkybar, a bar of dark choc and a bar of milk choc (Dairy Milk). Use a potato or vegetable peeler to shave the bars of chocolate over the cake. Some bits will be nice and curly and some will just be in nice little bits but they ALL hide any little lumps and bumps ;)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• WirenthWirenth Forumite
    899 posts
    You can also hide imperfect icing with a dusting of cocoa or icing sugar (put in a sieve, shake over the cake). Then add your chocolate shavings. The powder will put the emphasis on the solid chocolate decorations.
    Good, clean fun.... :D
    MFW #11 2015 £7657 / £8880