Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

August 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 107

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 213.6K views

Replies

• Le_FootLe_Foot Forumite
    162 posts
    Hi Princess Leia,
    50p Chicken ??? am I missing something somewhere?? Do please tell me where.

For all who may be interested, Asda are selling Hovis white Bread mixes for 29p, only marginally dearer than doing it from scratch, and it is lovely.

Keep the info coming folks...what a great community we have here. xxx
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • wendywitchwendywitch Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    catnap53 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is anything to be salvaged from double cream that has gone off? Not just a bit tangy, it is lumpy:eek: I had a litre and didn't use much before it got buried behind the melons. I would have made butter or frozen it if I had found it earlier.

Zzzz

I'm not 100% sure but couldn't you make sour cream from it?? :confused:
  • Le_Foot wrote: »
    Hi Princess Leia,
    50p Chicken ??? am I missing something somewhere?? Do please tell me where.

For all who may be interested, Asda are selling Hovis white Bread mixes for 29p, only marginally dearer than doing it from scratch, and it is lovely.

Keep the info coming folks...what a great community we have here. xxx

It is in Mr M ( Morrisons ) under their "Price crunch" ( I think) promotion. Diced chicken breast also sausages, light coleslaw and rolls and tomatos I believe all for 50p each. Not enough to feed a family for a week but plenty for currys etc.

ym

• wendywitch.

I see you are not far from me. I live in Folkestone and Broadstairs is lovely. Always liked Planet Thanet :D

ym

• BlairweechBlairweech Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Finally caught up with the thread!

So far I have spent £3.87, on bread and milk. My HM bread was yucky - it rose beautifully and got nice and crusty, but was sooooo yeasty it tasted like beer! :mad: Thats the 2nd time that has happened - what am I doing wrong :confused:
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Morning :hello:

Yesterday was a NSD - hopefully the same again today which will make 5 in a row and 6 for the month. Made Mrs MCs courgette tea bread yesterday and even though I reduced the sugar down to 120g it was still lovely and you would never know that it had courgettes in it as they just keep it lovely and moist - also substitued pecans as didn't have any walnuts and trying to avoid going to the shops.
    Going to make some more courgette soup today for the freezer and may also make another couple of courgette tea breads to freeze if I get the time.

Have a great day
    Perrywinkle
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, Weds and Thurs were no spend days for me.

Need to go buy some bits today for roast dinner this weekend though so will have to spend today.

Hoping that next week I will only need to get apples, bananas and milk before Friday to try and cut down the number of times I end up shopping for food :o
    working on clearing the clutter
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Are you using sachets of dried yeast for your bread Blairweech, cuz folk have said in the past there is more than really neccessary in them. Don't take my word tho cuz I'm new to bread-making mesen, but seem to recall other posts about a sachet weighing more than the recipe asked for....someone else will be here soon, with a better knowledge than I have:p

£7:72 in MrT yesterday--they had Youngs Beer Battered fish & Youngs 20 Fish Fingers on offer...two of mine will eat this fish & tuna sarnies whilst the other nibbles at 3 fish fingers on the plate & calls all stuff from the sea 'gross' :doh: So in order to get SOME fish into them, we had associate bits with chips & baked beans for dinner:D Pup loved his fishy fingers, few chopped up oven chips & a good drizzle of the beans sauce--he leaves baked beans in the dish once he's licked all the sauce off :p

Did you have a look at that yoghurt thread I found MrsMc--not that you need ideas, but thought you could post some for us:whistle: :rotfl:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• greentgreent Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blairweech wrote: »
    Hello all,

Finally caught up with the thread!

So far I have spent £3.87, on bread and milk. My HM bread was yucky - it rose beautifully and got nice and crusty, but was sooooo yeasty it tasted like beer! :mad: Thats the 2nd time that has happened - what am I doing wrong :confused:

How much yeast are you using, bw? For 500g of flour (and a bit, I'm not exact) Iuse about 18gm fresh or just under 2 tsp dried - which is less than a sachet of asda/ tesco / sainsburys packets (But I've now got big packs of Dove) Others will differ slightly - I know Mrs M uses 14g fresh and my friend uses 30g. For both I use just under a tsp of sugar to feed the yeast and just under a tsp of salt. I personally add 1 tbsp of oil too.

Can you post the recipe/ link to it?

Gt
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5138/6K
    Net sales 2020 £605.06/£500 Decluttering: 2020/2020
  • wendywitch.

I see you are not far from me. I live in Folkestone and Broadstairs is lovely. Always liked Planet Thanet :D

ym

Well, well, well I live in Herne bay so together we have a little triangle of kent covered :rotfl:

I went into Mr M's to get some 50p chicken, which I now realise won't stretch to 2 meals per pack but I am going to pop in later and get more so I can double up and make 1 x huge curry to freeze and 1x huge stew to freeze (2/3 portions of each after adding loads of veg/lentils/mushrooms etc ;))
    I did also get tempted by the BOGOF on Sharwoods sauces :o, can't believe butter (which I needed) and also got some carrots and milk.
    Off to make some yoghurt now so I can make some coleslaw later ;)
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!