August 2008 Grocery Challenge

in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 214.7K views

Replies

• Le_FootLe_Foot Forumite
    162 Posts
    I haven't posted for August as I've not been on the website for a couple of weeks, cn I be put down for £300 again please. I will then post what I've spent so far.
    Thank you
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 Posts
    Le_Foot wrote: »
    Mrs Mcawber, I think it was you that gave me a recipe for chicken and sweetcorn soup a few months ago, and I can't remember the finer details. I've looked on the 'Recipe List' and can't see it there, could you PLEASE give it me again. Sorry to be a pest, I will write it down this time (memory not what it used to be)

Found it ... CHICKEN AND SWEETCORN SOUP I'll add it to the index ;)

Nikki x
    :A
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Afternoon all

Well I have just been outside to fetch the washing in as theres a storm a brewing ... had to clip up some more branches on the tomatoes as they are bending under the weight of the fruit :j fetched another 1lb of tomatoes in -including quite a few "yellow pear" ones :T .. so im going to shove some into roast with a bit of oil, salt, pepper and then whang them in the freezer....if i can find a gap in one of them :rotfl:
    Also got the 1st bright red chilli off too -so im going to do chilli pork loin concoction over the weekend -a chinese type thingy me thinks;)

Just spotted that my 7 aubergines are all forming well -luckily they are in various stages so should spead out through the next few weeks :j

I have been sat this afternoon sorting out what im going to grow next year :p weighing up what will provide most fruit and best flavour,,,
    If anyone is planning on doing tomatoes next year i can't recommend the "san marzano" highly enough...they grow all bumpy and calloused (sp?) but the flavour is so intense -they reckon its ideal for cooking -not that mine have made it that far yet :o well they are sooo tasty:D

I have stuck my 2nd attempt at yoghurt on this afternoon -the last lot was gorgeous -just a bit thin..so i have done as someone on here mentioned -and put a spoon of milk powder in..pinkies crossed folks ...

Well my new week officially starts tomorrow.. have the money out just in case, but i can't think of anything i need -apart from the obligatory whoopsies of course ..so im on track for coming in ON or UNDER budget this month:T
    right i will get off and get some more x stitching done....

Super quick angel nikki :rotfl: hadn't even seen the post :p
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • perrywinkleperrywinkle Forumite
    224 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    greent wrote: »
    My kids love these. This was a recipe from their school canteen (always worth asking the school canteen staff for recipes for the kids favourite items!)

INGREDIENTS:
    3oz icing sugar
    6oz marg
    5oz plain flour
    2oz custard powder
    • Cream icing sugar & marg
    • add flour & custard powder & mix to dough
    • Form into a sausage shape & chill in plastic bag/ cling film for 2 hours
    • remove from plastic and slice into 24 'rounds'
    • place on baking tray & bake for about 10 mins at 180
    yum yum - we're going to make these tomorrow.

Gt

Hi greent,

made these this afternoon and they were lovely. I didn't have enough marg so used butter instead and I think I made my sausage too thin as when I sliced it up I got 66 cookies - they looked really great and tasted even better. I think they would be a great addition to a christmas hamper stacked and wrapped in cellophane with a ribbon bow tied at the top.
    Thanks again for the recipe.

Perrywinkle
  • Le_FootLe_Foot Forumite
    162 Posts
    Thanks Nikki, I don't know how you keep track on all these threads, I can never see the wood for the trees..if you know what I mean. If you've listed it on the index, I won't bother to write it down, cos I shall only lose the bit of paper !!
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • EagerLearnerEagerLearner Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrsMcawber - good luck with the yoghurt - powdered milk will do the trick... I had mine yesterday with honey and pine nuts. Next time will try with fresh strawberries and some wheatgerm.

I have not been too bad - we spent £21 so far, if we keep that up for the next 3 weeks we'll be well in budget...

I wrote out the months plan on an A4 calendar (downloaded from the net), then I have a drywipe board which I transfer 2 weeks of meals onto.
    This helps remember to defrost things in time, and I underline any meals that still need stuff buying for, which helps with the weekly shop.

Having the months worth written down means I can plan to buy in bulk (say one whole chicken instead of several packs over the month).
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • Spent £34.07 in lidl today so thats me til next week i hope.Ive updated my sig accordingly

good luck everyone:beer:
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    good afternoon all

the weather is a lot better,, have been to the park and had to go into Lidl to get some bread so my NSD is no more as I thought well I mat as well get milk while I'm at it

will update later

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• teedy23teedy23 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi all, I spent £14.41 in Mr T,s last night, doing a M/S tonight in a shop so buying my milk there. My lettuce is still on the go but no toms as yet, well they are there just not ready, since I got my wee walk in green house (big plastic tent really) the plants have begun to go nuts, a few green chillies on the brink of currydom too. The rain it raineth every day, and I fear for some of my crops but I,ll get my money,s worth I,m sure.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • andanandan Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Hi guys, well my attempts at joining this challenge last month didn't go too well, but would like to join this month. I am going to do a spreadsheet in a moment and am hoping to spend no more than £120 for the month, thats for three adults. My partner does the cooking some nights and buys some food, so i wont be including that as thats to do with him. I think £120 is doable though.
    :j Live on £4500, £2531/£4500:T 101 in 1001 (52/101):j:beer::j

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News