HSBC Cash ISA - CASH e-ISA

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
3 replies 2.7K views
zaphan58zaphan58 Forumite
28 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I currently have 5k sitting in a HSBC Cash ISA and am thinking of moving it.

From what I can see the Cash ISA is 4.17% and the Cash e-ISA 6.08% so I don't see why my money is sitting in the lesser account or even what the difference is between the two and which is best for me.

Can someone explain? All I can find on the HSBC site is this
HSBC also offers a Cash ISA which offers tiered interest rates, meaning the more you save, the more you earn.

Which I don't completely understand. I presume if I wanted to change the account HSBC would just do it for me.:confused:

Replies

• RayWolfeRayWolfe Forumite
    3K Posts
    No, the Cash e-ISA is for new money only. Many banks do this.
    If you are not going to put new money into an ISA this year, you could transfer £3,600 but that would use this years allowance.
  • cc004-2cc004-2 Forumite
    53 Posts
    RayWolfe wrote: »
    No, the Cash e-ISA is for new money only. Many banks do this.
    If you are not going to put new money into an ISA this year, you could transfer £3,600 but that would use this years allowance.

The HSBC e-isa is for new money only, so no transfers in from existing ISA's. However, you can transfer your existing low-rate HSBC ISA to another supplier. Transfering a previous years ISA does not use this years allowance, I believe RayWolfe has got this bit wrong or one of us has misread your post. ;)

If you haven't paid/subscribed new money during this tax year, then you still have your £3,600 allowance of new money that you can save.
    You can do this by 1 of the following: paying into your existing ISA, or opening a new HSBC cash-ISA at the higher rate, or a new cash ISA with a different supplier... If you have already paid in new money this tax year, you can only continue to pay into the same one until the next tax year starts, even if you transfer it.

Transfers are initiated by the supplier you're moving to, you'll need to fill in a transfer form with them to do this. Make sure you use the transfer procedure, don't close/open the accounts yourself, otherwise you loose the tax protection on your existing savings.

There's some good ISA posts on here about what you can/can't do. I'm sure it's made complicated so people don't bother.

Hope that helps (and I've got it correct)!?
    CC.
  • RayWolfeRayWolfe Forumite
    3K Posts
    You can transfer from the low rate ISA to the e-ISA ... I've done it!
    However it counts as part of this years ISA alowance.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides