Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
421 replies 86.2K views

Replies

• Congratulations on the new baby, kitchpoo!

I was wondering if I could ask; when we move to MQ (not sure where yet), I'll be a qualified counsellor; will I be allowed to work at home or will I have to have clients elsewhere? Thankyou.
    I like you. I shall kill you last.
  • kitchpookitchpoo Forumite
    1.3K posts
    I know a number of properties where the partner runs a business from home. Often child minding, one is an aromatherapist. There are child minders orking from home both inside and out of the wire, so I dont think there is any restriction, but I would check with DE first.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • oklahoklah Forumite
    3 posts
    Any ideas if I can contact them direct to request they chopped down prior to us moving in?
    oklah wrote: »
    Secondly, am living overseas due to return to the UK in August, saw the MQ we are due to move into back in April and it had hideous conifers that were huge all the way round the the front garden ... as we are strictly not tenants yet, can I still request that they get chopped down prior to our move in date? Also, the previous tenant (was a friend of a friend) told me that new carpets would be needed throughout the house ..... would I be able to choose the colours?

Also, I ran a childminding business from a MQ prior to relocating overseas!
    1.3K posts
    oklah wrote: »
    Any ideas if I can contact them direct to request they chopped down prior to us moving in?

Also, I ran a childminding business from a MQ prior to relocating overseas!

You should be able to contact the MHS helpline and raise a job, dont identify yourself as the incoming occupant, but as the current occupant. You will have more chance of them being taken out if it is causing any structural damage..... how close to the house are they?

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • If anyone out there is having any major issues with DE, specifically in the London area, then PM me. We had big problems with our qtr, but thanks to a combination of a supportive CofC, great local HIVE and shear bloody-mindedness we managed to get some action done.

Due to this we now know some shortcuts and routes to take when trying to get things done.
  • jpwhittlejpwhittle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    i officially hets any abreviated things the raf use. got moved on a weeks notice at 7 months pregnant with spd and baby lying back to back. so im in agony. didnt have a pre move just a move in and out and then hand the keys over today. all prepared for some charges as i had post natal depression with baby number 1 and things got to much. but cleaned the house to high standards even though i cant sleep and cant walk through the pain but happy i did the same job iv always done and never been charged for. minus a few carpet marks. also removals men did nothing but complain at us for moving 2 streets away and so didnt move half the stuff we had so i had to do that myself as well. and they broke a number of sons toys and lost some stuff. they were they clumsiest removals men ever.
    husband went to hand over the house today to be told it cant be handed over as its basicly a disgrace and needs redoing from top to bottom and untill its up to standard we cant hand the keys in as you no longer get charged for things. i havent had my disturbance and wont get it untill the end of the month thanks to the short notice we were given to move and cant afford the £230 a private cleaner wants to do the job at this short notice.
    so now im stuck. done nothing but cry as im tired and in pain. i cant do the house again or as the midwife told me ill end upin hospital and im sure the raf wont give dh the next 10 weeks of to look after my son thanks to being put there. and what if i can never get the house to standard do i never hand the keys over? we were there for 3 years of course its been lived in i tried my hardest with this dispite everything and have had enough now. the house wasnt even greatwhen we moved in and our new house isnt perfect either.

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry or ranting iv just had enough of everything. husband has rung mhe and they said to ring the communications office or something as they may be able to sort something due to the short notice and no premove. just hoping that the fact there hve been a number of failings mean we get help.
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:
    1.3K posts
    jpwhittle wrote: »
    i officially hets any abreviated things the raf use. got moved on a weeks notice at 7 months pregnant with spd and baby lying back to back. so im in agony. didnt have a pre move just a move in and out and then hand the keys over today. all prepared for some charges as i had post natal depression with baby number 1 and things got to much. but cleaned the house to high standards even though i cant sleep and cant walk through the pain but happy i did the same job iv always done and never been charged for. minus a few carpet marks. also removals men did nothing but complain at us for moving 2 streets away and so didnt move half the stuff we had so i had to do that myself as well. and they broke a number of sons toys and lost some stuff. they were they clumsiest removals men ever.
    husband went to hand over the house today to be told it cant be handed over as its basicly a disgrace and needs redoing from top to bottom and untill its up to standard we cant hand the keys in as you no longer get charged for things. i havent had my disturbance and wont get it untill the end of the month thanks to the short notice we were given to move and cant afford the £230 a private cleaner wants to do the job at this short notice.
    so now im stuck. done nothing but cry as im tired and in pain. i cant do the house again or as the midwife told me ill end upin hospital and im sure the raf wont give dh the next 10 weeks of to look after my son thanks to being put there. and what if i can never get the house to standard do i never hand the keys over? we were there for 3 years of course its been lived in i tried my hardest with this dispite everything and have had enough now. the house wasnt even greatwhen we moved in and our new house isnt perfect either.

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry or ranting iv just had enough of everything. husband has rung mhe and they said to ring the communications office or something as they may be able to sort something due to the short notice and no premove. just hoping that the fact there hve been a number of failings mean we get help.

Sounds like DE have been caught on the hop here. DE cannot hold you responsible for not meeting MO standard if you had no pre move out. If the MO had gone ahead DE couldnt really charge you, but MHS would still charge DE for the works - this may have led to the decision to abandon the MO. I am not aware of charges no longer being passed on to occupant.

Unit Welfare has helped in a number of moves I have attended where pregnancy/illness etc have been an issue. The unit in one instance did the full removals job! There is no shame in asking for help trom the HIVE.

You say your husband rang MHE... is that MHS or DE?

Dont lose sleep over it, your unit will not let this situation get you down and on medical grounds they should help out.

Have you any pictures of the quarter? If so , pm them over and I'll look and see if it is what I would call MO standard. This could save you doing more than you have to.

• jpwhittlejpwhittle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    thankyou for the advice

it was mhs that he spoke to. just had a phone call from someone who arranges march outs and he said they couldnt arrange for someone to clean it butwould see if i could be charged instead. but other than that i have to sort it out myself.
    trying to ring husband to see if hes getting any joy in work. ill tell him this information as well so he can see if it will help him and try to get some pictures done later. just so much hard work and im no unpacked yet thanks to the negligent removals men.
    thankyou for your time on this forum im really gratefull for it with everything we have going on
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:
  • genieukgenieuk Forumite
    330 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    jpwhittle, your plight sounds absolutely disgusting and one of the reasons people leave the services.

My OH is army and we can only be charged for one quarter at a time, so if they want it make them help you. Not sure about not being charged for damages as our last MQ was in NI, is this since MHS took over.

I know you have the RAF equivalent to AFF, if not try the Padre, SSAFA etc.

HTH
    Good luck
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • discobabydiscobaby Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    aaarrrgggg help who can we call out of hours we cannot get in our bedroom the door will not open husband has tried everything and it has internal hinges

please help??? have mod housing got an hours number :(
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support