edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.7K views

Replies

• HerbaholicHerbaholic Forumite
    304 posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    mama67 wrote: »
    These were 19p on Monday 30/06 and today 03/07 they are now 14p according to mysupermarket.

Went in Asda last night and they were 16p a pack, also noticed that they had Whitworths tapioca for 13p, I was tempted to get a pack just to see if 'frogs spawn' pudding really tasted as bad as my childhood memory tells me it did!? Does anybody like tapioca and use it to make puddings?

In the end I decided not to get any and get an extra pack of blancmange instead, strawberry trifle on the menu this week topped with fresh strawberries from the garden, if I get to them before the darn birds and slugs do grrr!

Herby
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • mandy_moo_1mandy_moo_1 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    hi all :wave:

just poppin in to update me spends. went into town to do my gran's shopping, and had to get some bits and bobs for myself......loadsa fruit, sweeteners, doggy chews, salad cream,juice etc

my gran always tells me to get myself something for doing her shoppin so i got some beef mince and pork mince to make some meatloaf to go in the freezer...i love it with salad :D

got DD's 18th party next Friday, so i'm trying to find out how many are coming ( why can't people RSVP when you ask them to? :mad: ) i am so careful with food that i don't want any to go to waste, and don't wanna make too much. my mum said if 70 people say they're coming, only cater for 50 so that there shouldn't be too much, so as long as i can get an idea of who's coming then i can make a start......think i'm gonna be in the flippin kitchen every day next week!!

ooooh!! those iced fingers that angelnikki put on the first page were scrumdidlyumptious :drool: i made 24 and only 15 made it into the freezer......now don't tell anyone but there was only myself and the dogs in the house that day......i'm gonna have to have a word with them about eating the kids things :rotfl:
    next time tho, i think i'll put raisins in them, or dried cranberries

right, best take the dogs out and let [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] the dogs walk off all those iced buns [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] they scoffed :rotfl::rotfl:

• Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    catnap53 wrote: »
    OK, been thinking about this for a while and recent posts have brought it back to me. I hope I am not going to offend anyone, and don't know if anyone else has commented, but watering down full fat milk does not result in the equivalent of semi-skimmed.

If people like it that way, that's fine, and I don't mean to preach, but I just want people to be aware that it doesn't provide the nutritional value that is expected, particularly for children, nursing mothers (sorry don't mean to pick on anyone) and the elderly.

To get the calorie content to be equivalent to SS it would need to be diluted by about one third, but to get the fat content equivalent to SS (I think the main reason why people buy SS) it would need diluting by over a half, to about 45% FF to 55% water, reducing other valuable components as well.

Milk is such a good source of calcium, protein and phosphorus that it is a shame (IMHO) to miss out and have to supplement these in other ways, especially if you are not aware of the need to do it.

I buy FF for DH and DS, because they like it, and SS for me and DD because it is better for us. I am concerned that we all get enough calcium and phosphorus (both needed to produce sufficient bone mass) because I developed osteoporosis in my 30's and had a fractured vertebra when giving birth to my son, so apologies if i am a bit intense about it. Also been up since half past 3 to drop DS at school for a trip to Wimbledon. Got to go to work now too.

Spent only 2 pounds since Sunday, one pineapple and some growing basil.

Zzzzz (I think I may need the catnap at lunch time)

This is a valid point catnap and imo is fine to post. The thing is, as some new mums have mentioned in earlier posts, we rush around in our lives and don't always get the vitamins and stuff that we need - the whole point I am on this challenge is to stop having fast food and cooking proper dinners with veg and stuff, so this kind of thing is good to know.

I only water my ff milk down 1/3rd anyway and wouldn't want to do it any more than that, but I don't do it for the fat content, so don't mind it being a few more calories, I just do it for the taste - have got used to ss now and ff is just a bit too creamy on breckie and in tea.

I think we all need to save, but not to the detrement of our health, so well done for pointing it out,
    Denise
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    fertyskids wrote: »
    thanks denise, ive already peeled the potatoes!!

can i use quorn mince instead. ive got a packet of cottage pie mixture ive had for ages and i dont have any lea and perrins or beef stock cubes would it be ok? thanks karen

Can't see why not on both counts - not sure about quantities then though, but you will know when you see the mix (and have a little taste :D ) as it's a very easy recipe to see what's what from.

I just use tesco's own stock cubes and keep a few of them in the cupboard for things like this that need a bit of taste added - I use chicken stock cubes on top of my chicken breasts when I cook them - just drizzle a bit of olive oil over them then sprinkle the stock cube on top and cover with a bit of tin foil in the oven to cook - taste great, even the bland value ones ;) .

Good luck:T
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Just a quick update on the spends - £1.29 on another 6 pack of Diet Coke. The offer ends tomorrow in my local shop and I've put them away for work next week (only working 4 days:j ).

Have done a meal plan for the next week and I do have enough to last quite comfortably but I have the NOTW voucher to use in Mr T so may go and spend it if I can't find any books that I fancy for my hols in the charity shops in town - I've never done this before so don't really know what to expect with regards to price, quality and variety. Any one do this sort of thing?:confused:

I can make up the rest of the £30 required spend with freezer and cupboard stuff for when I get back from my hols but can't decide whether this is money saving in the long run or unnecessary spending before holidays?
    I get paid whilst I'm away too and it would probably be better to wait until I'm paid to spend more - oh the dilemma!

Anyway, have a good day and a nice weekend (won't be able to access the web over the weekend).

Take Care
    R
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • catnap53catnap53 Forumite
    227 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Still can't get the chart to work

• catnap53catnap53 Forumite
    227 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Figures relate to 100ml of milk, FF, SS, FF diluted by one third, and FF diluted to 45% (and only then will it have the same fat content as SS)

Energy (kcal) 68, 47, 45, 31
    Fat (g) 4.0, 1.8, 2.7, 1.8
    Protein (g) 3.4, 3.6, 2.3, 1.5
    Carb (g) 4.7, 4.8, 3.1, 2.1
    Potassium mg) 160, 161, 107, 72
    Calcium (mg) 122, 124, 81, 55
    Magnesium(mg) 11, 11, 7, 5
    Phosphorus(mg) 96, 97, 64, 43
    Iodine (mg) 32, 31, 21, 14

Must get training in this, I can't get it to look right.

But I am just worried that the people I have mentioned might be missing out on protein, calcium and phosphorus particularly when they dilute milk.

I know what it is like to have two young children, DS and DD are only 19 months apart, DD1 was 14 at the time, (and DS didn't even sleep through the night until he was nearly 5)

I went back to work full time getting only 4 hours sleep and even that was interrupted. DH had been made redundant and was sent on a 12 month training course, so he wouldn't get up at night, mind you he found the breastfeeding difficult, so I suppose I forgave him.

BF mums do need all the calcium they can get so milk supplies a good source, is easy and quick to drink (in fact skimmed and SS have a little more that FF).

Advice is that they should not dilute it unless they make up for it (and the protein) in other ways, and that takes more effort, IMHO.

OK I'll go now. Sorry again

Zzzzz

• Hi all
    Just aquick update on my spends £1 on 3 tins of heinz beans ( local one stop shop offer)
    And is it just me or does anyone else hanker after a pull along trolley?Is there a certain age you must be to have one?:confused: I am 35!
    I don't mind walking to town, and having to carry everything back ( this means i buy less!) but i'd love to have a trolley, so guess what i spotted in the charity shop today? yep you guessed it, a trolley bag, and it's very funky and bright pink!:cool: i am delighted with it and it only cost £5 bargin.:T:j
    Good luck with your month everyone, have a nice day
    :j

• fluffysoxfluffysox Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, I can't believe how long this thread is already!!!

mama 67- Thanks for the coupon site.
    Herbaholic- I love tapioca, althoough don't know anyone else who does.
    perrywinkle- that bacon and potato hot pot sounds gorgeous. Will definitely have a go at that this coming week.

Past couple of days I've spent £2 on a loaf and bottle of milk. But as bonus, mum has given me a big jar of blackcurrant jam she made this week:A (lovely stuff) and brings back memories of picking them off the bush in her garden with my brothers. Will have to get a cheeky cutting:p . Also she gave me a tub of left over bolognese- enough for two servings max and I turned into a pasta bake to serve 4 with some sorry looking veg out of my fridge:T .
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • fertyskidsfertyskids Forumite
    138 posts
    Hi

i used quorn and the oats, its great you definatley cant tell. hubby will never know.
    was very bland. i added another tin tom and beans. as well as garlic and salt and pepper. then i got lea and perrins on the way back from pre school it had to be done. now it tastes wonderful . thankyou so much

how many do you think it will normally serve
    and do you freeze the mash and mince seperately or together ive run out of tubs so thought i might freeze seperately in bags?

thanks a agin i appreciate it karen