Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Vegetarian Christmas alternative? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Vegetarian Christmas alternative?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
170 replies 51.5K views

Replies

• Vegetarian Haggis - it is absolutely gorgeous (and I am a confirmed carnivore) - and is also vegan and non-dairy. (does contain peanuts though). £2.99 from Waitrose - but other places stock them - made by MacSween of Scotland.
  • IguanaIguana Forumite
    1.8K posts
    :rudolf: Look on https://www.handbag.com under the food and drink section for more vegetarian ideas. :snow_laug :xmastree: :xmassmile
  • Yoga_GirlYoga_Girl Forumite
    888 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We will be having a Chestnut & Sage Cobbler, had it last year and it was lovely. Its basically a thick tasty mushroom & chesnut stew topped with triangle shaped scone-type things. Looks impressive and is yummy. Can be made in advance and frozen. If anyone wants the recipe I'll have a hunt and see if I can find it.
  • we - dh, me, ds & dd ( veggie since birth) have had the same for the last 3 yrs and again they want it - I make up some sosmix and some 'paxo' sage & onion stuffing and cook the sosmix in little patties.

Then I put a quorn fillet with a cooked sosmix pattie with stuffing on the top and put it in a puff pastry parcel and cook.

I do individual ones and a large one and cook the rest of the sosmix in a dish.

We each have a parcel and the other two dishes are left to go cold for Boxing Day ( which is actually christmas day as we eat christmas eve!!!) when we have them sliced with chips, salad, olives and lots of pickles.

Previously we have just had sosmix which slices very well - good if you have meat eating guests.

Personally we like having a 'meat like' dish as we enjoy mostly all the trimmings
  • Dear Yoga girl, any luck finding the receipe?
  • savvysavvy Forumite, Board Guide
    31.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my first vegetarian christmas last year and used a recipe for a sumptuous nut roast (yes I know you've been dissing the old faithful!), I think it was posted by TravelQueen :confused:

Yes, it's a nut roast, but it's really luxurious - particularly with the (lots of) Wine & Chestnut puree. We also cover ours with layers of filo pastry, so together with roast veggies & veggie gravy its absolutely lovely. In fact I'm feeling hungry just thinking about it!

Brazil and Cashew Nut Roast

3oz (75 gm) Butter
    Medium sized onion, finely chopped
    Crushed Garlic clove
    5 finely chopped celery sticks
    6 oz (175 gm) Brazil nuts
    “ “ Cashew nuts
    2 oz flaked millet (I don’t usually bother, or put in oatmeal)
    2 oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
    4 oz cooked, mashed potato or parsnip
    2 tbsp parsley
    1 tsp dried sage
    ½ tsp dried oregano
    ¼ tsp ground ginger
    ¼ tsp cayenne
    ½ tsp curry powder (optional)
    Juice and rind of ½ lemon
    1 lightly beaten egg
    Stock or white wine to mix
    Salt and pepper
    8 oz Chestnut puree

Heat butter and cook onion till soft. Add garlic and celery and cook for 1 minute. Put in a bowl and add everything else. Season, put half in tin, layer with puree and spread in other half. Bake at 190 for 45 mins – 1 hour.

If you're adding filo - put a few sheets on a baking tray, layer it as it says (feeds 5/6 people easily) and wrap it over et voila.
    TQ
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvysavvy Forumite, Board Guide
    31.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and there's also some really nice vegetable dishes that could be adapted in the latest Tesco Foodclub mag;

Roasted beetroot with goats cheese and balsamic

Braised red cabbage with apples and cranberries

Parsnip and potato gratin

Fennel sauteed with dried chilli and onions

ALL sound totally yummy!!! icon12.gif
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spanakopitta (greek feta and spinach pie with lemon in it)
    absolutely delicious
    search for it on Google
    If not pm me and I will post a recipe.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • gemmajgemmaj Forumite
    430 posts
    Every year (I even specially order it from local healthfood shop to make sure I get it!):
    Cheatin' Turkey Dinner. Its about £5, and you get a lump of not-turkey, some little not-sausages wrapped in not-bacon and some really lovely not-turkey gravy which makes a great change to Bisto!
    Its big enough for 2, and just wants to be wraped in foil and chucked into the oven for a short while.

Yuuummmmmm.....
    :xmassmile
  • Nut roast should be banned. This year I am having an Aunt Bessies Giant Yourkie, filled with Tofu and Veg Extra-Hot Made to Order Chinese Curry collected from our local t/away

Your local takeaway does a christmas day service?!?!?!?!?
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!