edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.4K views

Replies

• procrastinatorprocrastinator Forumite
    615 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    mornin all and welcome to the july challenge :D

i've just got back from a whoopsie hunt at Mr M's ..........managed to get some persil liquitabs, and some Bold 2 in 1 tablets (only get these when they're reduced to silly prices, and you don't get much sillier than down to 10p each from £5-odd :T and all because the boxes were a bit dented!! ) also got some tins of dog food, tinned toms, choccy bics, aero snacksize, and toothpaste....all down to 10p each :dance: also got some of the Robinsons juice that's BOGOF at the mo. i've accounted for this in my June challenge, as i don't officially start the july one till tomorrow

Well done on the whoopsies. I never find any packet stuff with a good reduction. They are usually damaged but with only 10 or 20p reduction so I leave them.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • MrDTMrDT Forumite
    951 posts
    I won't be going shopping til Tuesday but am posting as I've been told off by mumzyof2 for not posting enough haha :D

I finally managed to empty my freezer :T And I've defrosted it :T And I've scrubbed it clean :T It's only taken me three months to empty it haha :o

Today I'll be using up some of my left over bits, gonna try making a pie for lunch (will post a recipe if it turns out edible), and will have beef with mash and veg for tea I think :)
  • JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
    4.3K posts
    i bought the notw too:D

will be doing 2 shops this week as i am using a 1000 point code for my online shop.

this challenge starts for me on tuesday 1st- 31st july:)
    #82 12k in 2018 - £3473.45/£12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund £10850.02/£250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund £2679.13/£50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund £199.49/£2500 - 7.98%
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Fingers crossed please, cuz a couple of the offspring have gone to get the NOTW & a Mail SIZE=1]hoooooooooooooojudge Bowie fan:p me![/SIZE][SIZE=2 so I hope they're not too late:o Or have you lot snaffled'em all already:cool: [/SIZE]

Tenner spent from the new budget on Friday & hopefully just the papers for today, but :confused: what they will come back with!

Planning to get some baking done today to boost the packed lunches, & really REALLY must try some menu planning too....I know! I say it every month:o but you have my permission to nag me till it's on the menus thread:D
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• JudellieJudellie Forumite
    114 posts
    Hi Angelnikki
    Please could you put me down for £350 again this month. Don't know how it will last this month as schoolholidays start, however it will save on school dinners though. Haven't finished June yet and am about £50 over - works out to the cost of school dinners this monthspeechless-smiley-040.gif

Jude xx
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    [STRIKE]£22[/STRIKE]99.51
  • SuziQSuziQ Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    3K posts
    fertyskids wrote: »
    Hi Nikki,

yes we give him a spoon and a little bowl. sometimes this helps. again weve tried breadsticks whiced he loves but screams at you if you take them out of his mouth to put food in. he has milk in the morning 4/5 oz and again before bed 3/4 oz. i dont give it to him during the day as i made that mistake with my eldest - who still loves milk!

i know that this too will pass.. as they say. its just as frustrating for us as it is for him. this morning after 4 spoons of weetabix (he normally will eat a whole one) i just took him out of his highchair and decided he might be more interested at lunchtime and hungry too hopefully. at 11.30, 4hrs after breakfast he was screaming to be fed but started spitting mashed casserole after 2 spoons. hubby ended up giving him spag bol jar- he finished and then has 2 yogs. all the time he was playing and happily eating.. little so and so.
    i know i will probably just have to persevere. its just exhausting.

about this signiture thing i'll give it a go. thanks so much

karen

Hi,

I used to be a health visitor,and one of the tricks that I learnt from one mum and passed on to loads of others was to start putting a small amount of home cooked food into the jar food, slowly increase the amount of your own and decrease the jar food (it will keep in the fridge covered for 24 hours so no waste) and hopefully over a few weeks you can get your baby to eat less and less bland food and more of your own.Also only introduce 1 new thing every 3 days-that way the abby has more chance of getting used to it and if any reaction/intolerance develops you know what's caused it and can avoid.
    I never used jars etc after seeing how many mums had this problem-it was like weaning all over again to get off jars and onto family food s my 'little darlings' never got the pleasure of jar food.
    The other thing is not to worry too much as he certainly seems to eat well-when it's what he wants! As long as he's growing he's fine,and yes,as you say-very rarely does a child not grow out of this (though there's always one............!)
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    MrDT wrote: »
    I won't be going shopping til Tuesday but am posting as I've been told off by mumzyof2 for not posting enough haha :D

I finally managed to empty my freezer :T And I've defrosted it :T And I've scrubbed it clean :T It's only taken me three months to empty it haha :o

Today I'll be using up some of my left over bits, gonna try making a pie for lunch (will post a recipe if it turns out edible), and will have beef with mash and veg for tea I think :)

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!! :T :T :T so whats ya budget for this month? :D
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • kunekunekunekune Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Could I go down for £500 please? I have had a couple of not-so-good months, but am back on track again now. I've got lots of food in but didn't do Sainsburys this week so we'll have to pick up extra milk & fruit during the week.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • MrDTMrDT Forumite
    951 posts
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    YAYYYYYYYY!!!!! :T :T :T so whats ya budget for this month? :D

£60 again :)

Failed April : £62.53 (not by much!!)
    Failed May : £60.47 (by even less!!)
    Passed June : £48.50 :D:D:D

Won't be so easy this month as the freezer is 100% empty.

I'm gettin a mixed box off my mate that works for the meat company though, that's a big box of ready made meal bases (bbq ribs, pork loin in apple, chicken chasseur, turkey in gravy etc etc) for a fiver. This helps me keep costs down a LOT. I think £60 would only be doable as a vegetarian otherwise :eek:

'Pie' is in the oven :) Will post back with recipe and maybe a pic if it turns out well or a hilarious disaster ;)
  • MrDTMrDT Forumite
    951 posts
    Woohoo the pie is edible!! :j

MrDT's open top 'pizza' pie

50g margerine
    50g lard
    200g self raising flour
    tbsp water

Mix that all up to make pastry, roll into a ball and leave it sat in the fridge.

200g onion
    200g cheddar
    big pinch mixed herb
    big pinch coarsely ground black pepper
    tbsp milk

Throw it all in the food processor, get it all nicely chopped up and mixed.

3 tomatoes
    hefty amount of chopped garlic
    sprinkle salt
    big pinch coarsely ground black pepper
    drizzle vegetable oil

Roll your pastry out onto a round baking tray, spread the cheese mixture on top, top with sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper and oil to taste.

Whack in the oven top shelf for 40mins at 200 celcius, sorted :) The seal on my oven is a bit dodgy so you will probably need a lower heat or shorter cooking time!

Here's a really bad mobile phone picture of what it should look like, poor quality but you get the idea:

img00518rc2.jpg

Tastes REALLY good :D