When`s the best time to buy a new car?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
10 replies 955 views
swizzle_2swizzle_2 Forumite
481 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Been looking a suzuki Alto, at the mo they are reduced by £1k to £4995 otr, it says reduced until 31st Dec.

I don`t really want to get a car yet, want to wait until the spring, but want to get the best price.

I know alto`s are cheap, but I drive because I have too, not many miles and no motorways, so it will offer me cheap motoring for 3 years.

Thanks
April Grocery challange £175

Spent week 1 £29.90
week 2 £62.64, TOTAL £92.54

Replies

• researcherresearcher Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We bought our last car on 22nd December, so we negotiated the deal about a week before that. The dealer was desperate for our business, and after they'd offered us excellent trade in for our old car, the best price on the new car, lots of extras including free servicing we said we'd think about it, but if they installed parking sensors too, they'd have a deal. It took them half a day to ring and say yes. :D Afterwards - the (very nice) salesman, said we were the only customers they'd seen all week. ;)

The only downside is that insurance and tax will be payable each year just before Xmas. :eek: HO HUM
  • shellsuitshellsuit Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This time of year, run up to christmas, is the best time to buy a car as you have more negotiation powers for either new or used cars.

Worst time to sell one though suprise suprise.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best time to buy a new car is.....never. Within 18 months most cars have dived down the depreciation curve and many models are not far from half what they cost new. I was looking at Mundaneo and Foci in the paper a year or so ago and 18 month old models were about £1K over half the new price.

Having said that, with a new price of just under £5K the Alto is cheap to start with.
    Happy chappy
  • Sorry to hijack the thread,but i would like to ask a similar question i.e when is the best time to buy a motorbike.

I know they are cheaper in the winter,but now or in the new year?

I am in no rush as i have to build a garage first,so i can wait until next winter if i need to.Also,i waited 20 plus years before passing my bike test last month,so another year won't make any difference!

Any bikers out there?
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • gizmoleedsgizmoleeds Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you could get a Ford Ka for that money - which would be much nicer if you ask me...

http://www.autobytel.co.uk/index.cfm?sction=new&url=/contentframe/buy/cardetails.cfm&cap_id=24370
  • Been looking a a Kia Picanto, went to the local dealer yesterday, said whats the best we can do on the price, just gone up £195 from last month, he said he could not deal on the price, what if I did not part ex- same story.

Thought they would be desperate to do a deal, so will wait until spring.
    April Grocery challange £175

Spent week 1 £29.90
    week 2 £62.64, TOTAL £92.54
  • vansboyvansboy Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swizzle - did you check This Weeks Best Deals in https://www.honestjohn.co.uk there are TINY discounts available on Picanto, if you are 'pushy' with the dealer.

Carl31066 - not sure which type of bike your looking for, but worth checking https://www.forcemotorcycles.com if you wanted Ex Police or Ministry of Defence, machines.

Have a chat with Nick, there, he knows his stuff!!

VB
  • carl310166 wrote:
    Sorry to hijack the thread,but i would like to ask a similar question i.e when is the best time to buy a motorbike.

I know they are cheaper in the winter,but now or in the new year?

I am in no rush as i have to build a garage first,so i can wait until next winter if i need to.Also,i waited 20 plus years before passing my bike test last month,so another year won't make any difference!

Any bikers out there?

Just before & just after Xmas is when prices tend to bottom out, but they've gone about as far as they will. The good deals on new old-models are gone from dealers by Feb, so don't leave it too long.

If buying used, but only a year old, check the price of brand new, last years model bikes in the dealer ads in MCN, as a new one can be cheaper, or at least use the price to beat the seller with. (e.g. New 2005 Kaw ZX6R is £6K, so you won't sell a used one for more than £5.5K - down from £7250 rrp) Model changes with the calendar year. Dealers will sell out of the last years models, so it's a case of waiting long enough for them to get desperate, but not so long that they are out of stock.

Check what models came out and were well received at the NEC show in Nov - you'll get deals on the outgoing model. e.g. a 2004/2005 Yamaha R6 will be cheaper now that the all-singing 2006 model has been announced. Alternatively, which models are basically OK but are very much overshadowed by newer ones. e.g. Suzuki Bandit 600 is cheap, due to better alternatives from Honda, Yamaha & Kawasaki.

If buying privately used, I suspect there will be a lot of bargains in another years time as motorbikes are just the sort of non-essential purchase people have overextended themselves credit-wise to buy, and will want to sell.

Check the finished auctions on ebay for what stuff is actually selling for. You might be surprised - it's very much a buyers market. Sites like visordown have a used section, and it's very tough for sellers in there.
  • alanrowellalanrowell Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also look out for pre-registered cars which are effectively brand new but have the dealer as the first owner. It's a good way of saving a few thousand.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals