Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

June 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 263

New Post Advanced Search

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 209.9K views

Replies

• :hello: Hiya all,

Really tired today as was kept up tol 12.30am, working as live-in-carer 24/7 takes it out of u, put comp on was just checking thread, promptly feel asleep, hit my head on comp:mad: and gave up. This is the 1st chance I've had to come on this am and now it's time to cook lunch, only just caught up with what u guys have been up to:beer: Oh well just look a little longer, sun shining at the beach:j Anyone know where the cheapest cranberry juice can be got at the mo,we get through loads of it:T xxxx 2 u all
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • By the way, I'm allicated £40 per fortnight for 3 adults, this is hard, especially with all the price increases lately:eek: But try really hard to manage, any Ideas guys:T xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Hi, I have been a passenger on this website for a while and would like to step up and join the challenge, is that okay? I think I would say £100 a month as a guess, it is just me but I have recently started with an organic food box which is amazing and I do have a regular slot for takeaway on a Sunday night :beer:
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • cookinmummycookinmummy Forumite
    4.2K posts
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Wow I have just made meal plans right up to the end of July, using up lots of freezer stuff. Think we will have a week of buying bits and bobs at the start of Augs, away for a week or two, and then do a nice big stock up shop in the last two weeks of Augs! Hopefully the set budget will get all our fresh fruit/veg, yogs, milk, eggs, baby supplies easily enough (best laid plans lol) :rolleyes: .
    PS Anyone got any uses for broad beans ? Am putting some in tonights chicken stew but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. They are frozen ones.

Hiya Orkney,

The recipe below I do quite often and just bung in whatever veg and potatoes I have lying around - but always pop broad beans in. Its a good food, but can't find it on the site to stick a link in - so here it is:

Chicken and Spring Vegetable Stew

Ingredients:
    2 chicken breasts (skin on)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    200g baby new potatoes (cleaned and thinly sliced
    500 ml chicken stock (can be a cube)
    200g mixed spring vegetables including broad beans (to be honest I bung in what ever I have!)
    2 tbsp crème fraiche
    Handful of tarragon roughly chopped (again I quite often stick in whatever I have ample of out of the garden) or ½ tsp of dried tarragon
    • Fry chicken in olive oil for 5 mins each side. Throw in potatoes and pour over the chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
    • Remove lid, turn up heat to reduce the stock a bit (2mins ish), chuck in veg, cover again and cook for 5 mins.
    • Stir in crème fraiche to make creamy sauce, season with S and P, chuck over tarragon and serve.
    :D
  • Bargain_RzlBargain_Rzl Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all - haven't really been keeping track this month (my grocery and pocket money spends subsidise one another so it's not critical that my exact budget is stuck to for each item IYSWIM) but am confident that my signature's now accurate to within a couple of quid, which means I am slightly under budget for the month at the moment :)

Went to Asda last night "just for some peppers and mushrooms" for my sausage casserole, plus some stock cubes and more boxes of risotto rice as it is still 73p there and has gone up to £1.19 in the other supermarkets. I ended up with a load of reduced meat for the freezer and spent over £20. If I had a bigger freezer I could have kept myself in pork ribs and prawns for about a year :D but as there was barely any space in the freezer to begin with (plus I only had carrier bags with me, not the wally trolley) I had to pick and choose what would be most useful to me. Got 5 packs of diced chicken (over 4lbs in total), a smoked haddock fillet, some Extra Special cod loin fillets and Extra Special pork. I unpacked all the chicken, pooled it and divided it in half to freeze - that will be 2 batches of Thai green chicken curry.

Only need rice now this week (ordinary and jasmine) and I will see if I can get it in bulk - assuming I can work out where I'm going to keep it in my tiny flat! Loads of ethnic supermarkets round my way.

Hope most of you are well and happy - (((hugs))) to Mrs M.

Rzl xx
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Hi OrkneyStar,
    this looks like it might be worth a try and you could probably alter the filling to suit what you have/like.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3503/basil-pea-and-pancetta-tart
    HTH
    Perrywinkle
    Great idea especially as hubby has just told me he is bringing some free eggs home!
    Not keen on pancetta but could use some cold ham instead me thinks.
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • tapladytaplady Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all!

I havent had time to read all the posts so I hope you're all doing well!
    I've had my MrT shop delivered and shouldn't need to get anything else now, also stocked up on tea bags this morning as our local supermarket had Yorkshire tea with 100% extra free so got enough for a month at least!:D
    Going to update my sig now. I've spent £269.91 of my £290 budget.:T
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Hiya Orkney,

The recipe below I do quite often and just bung in whatever veg and potatoes I have lying around - but always pop broad beans in. Its a good food, but can't find it on the site to stick a link in - so here it is:

Chicken and Spring Vegetable Stew

Ingredients:
    2 chicken breasts (skin on)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    200g baby new potatoes (cleaned and thinly sliced
    500 ml chicken stock (can be a cube)
    200g mixed spring vegetables including broad beans (to be honest I bung in what ever I have!)
    2 tbsp crème fraiche
    Handful of tarragon roughly chopped (again I quite often stick in whatever I have ample of out of the garden) or ½ tsp of dried tarragon
    • Fry chicken in olive oil for 5 mins each side. Throw in potatoes and pour over the chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
    • Remove lid, turn up heat to reduce the stock a bit (2mins ish), chuck in veg, cover again and cook for 5 mins.
    • Stir in crème fraiche to make creamy sauce, season with S and P, chuck over tarragon and serve.
    :D
    Hmmmm, guess what started making for dinnner earlier, a version of chicken stew but without any creme fraiche in it. I might try this another time when I can incorporate creme fraiche into the meal plan.
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • jackk_2jackk_2 Forumite
    288 posts
    Please could someone possibly point me in the right direction for a thai green curry recipe :0)

Thankyou

Jackie x
  • Bargain_RzlBargain_Rzl Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jackie,

The one I use is based on a recipe off the side of a jar of curry paste.

1kg chicken, chopped
    2 green pepper, chopped
    2 onions, chopped
    2 tin coconut milk
    2 tbsp Thai green curry paste

Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onion and green pepper. Add the chicken. When the chicken has gone opaque, stir in the curry paste and fry for a few mins longer. Add the coconut milk and transfer to an oven dish with a lid. Cook in a fairly low oven for 45 mins.

Easy peasy :) Serve with fragrant rice.

(Makes 6 portions - works out quite pricey if you use fresh chicken but you could just as easily use leftovers from the Sunday roast).
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124