June 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 262

New Post Advanced Search

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 209.8K views

Replies

• zoe260373zoe260373 Forumite
    868 posts
    hi all,jsu tried to edit my signature but it says 'BB code size too big' anyone know what that means and what i need to do to sort it?lol,sorry...im so pants at this:o
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    There is a limit on signatures up to 4 lines I think and you can't use text that is too big either ;) HTH

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Wow I have just made meal plans right up to the end of July, using up lots of freezer stuff. Think we will have a week of buying bits and bobs at the start of Augs, away for a week or two, and then do a nice big stock up shop in the last two weeks of Augs! Hopefully the set budget will get all our fresh fruit/veg, yogs, milk, eggs, baby supplies easily enough (best laid plans lol) :rolleyes: .
    PS Anyone got any uses for broad beans ? Am putting some in tonights chicken stew but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. They are frozen ones.
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • hi
    can i be put down for £225 for julys budget please angelnikki.
    still got till friday but dont think ill be spending anything else.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Wow I have just made meal plans right up to the end of July, using up lots of freezer stuff. Think we will have a week of buying bits and bobs at the start of Augs, away for a week or two, and then do a nice big stock up shop in the last two weeks of Augs! Hopefully the set budget will get all our fresh fruit/veg, yogs, milk, eggs, baby supplies easily enough (best laid plans lol) :rolleyes: .
    PS Anyone got any uses for broad beans ? Am putting some in tonights chicken stew but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. They are frozen ones.

Hi OrkneyStar,
    this looks like it might be worth a try and you could probably alter the filling to suit what you have/like.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3503/basil-pea-and-pancetta-tart
    HTH
    Perrywinkle

What about the broad bean burgers posted by someone who I can't remember:o sorry! But thanks!:T They sound yummy-we're having them tomorrow!

Broad Bean Burgers
    1/2 teaspoon each whole cumin, coriander and fennel seeds. (i think you cound substitute ground spices for this)
    25g chard
    4 Tablespoons of olive oil or a mixture of olive and other
    350g potatoes
    305g shelled broad beans
    1/2 teaspoon chopped chilli or a pinch of powder
    2 crushed garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    3 tablespoons fresh corriander chopped (I didn't have this so left it out)
    40g breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    50g plain flour

Dry roast the whole seeds and then grind
    wilt the chard in a tablespoon of the oil abd then chop
    boil the potatoes in salted water for five mins then add the broad beans and cook for another 8 mins or until done.
    drain and add the ground spices, chilli, garlic, termeric, 2 tablespoons of the oil and pepper.
    Mash roughly then add chard, coriander, breadcrumbs and egg and stir together.
    Shape into fat burgers - wet hands first
    Coat with flour and chill for half an hour if you have time!
    Fry in oil (not olive) for about five mins on each side until golden brown

Serve with sour cream or yog or just in a bun with some salad

Or a big favourite with us is new potato, bacon & broad bean salad with balsamic dressing.

Just cook tatties & beans, fry chopped bacon and mix all together balsamic vinegar. We always use fresh beans, but sure frozen would work too and if you don't have/like balsamic you could substitute it for another dressing or even some creme fraiche or something probably.

HTH
    Linz
  • Hi OrkneyStar,
    this looks like it might be worth a try and you could probably alter the filling to suit what you have/like.http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3503/basil-pea-and-pancetta-tart
    HTH
    Perrywinkle

Ooh wow, that looks yummy too!! Saved to my folder for the future....wonder if you could use fresh broad beans as we get them in our veg box a lot!

Hi OrkneyStar-- I use broad beans on loads of stuff from mixed bean and pulse risotto, to pasta with pesto and chicken and beans and gnocchi with cheese sauce and broad beans (has that in an Italian once)-- I always have a bag of frozen broad beans and frozen soya beans in the freezer along with the peas!

Not sure if that helped a whole lot....:o
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • teedy23teedy23 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    rachelmk wrote: »
    Just a quickie to send a big CWCH to Mrs M and anyone else that needs one - for the heathen English amongst you its a big Welsh cuddle/hug - the kind that your Mam gives you when you fall over when you're little!:p

Take care everyone.

Oh and yesterday was a NSD and today should be one too.
    has anyone asked how you pronounce that? sorry if they have too many pages here.Cuddles is one of my favourite things in any language.:D
    Sending one to MRSMAC xx
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • Mrs M, Big hugs to you and your family at the moment.
    Angelniki Please put my down for £150 for July

Yesterday was another NSD for me, i have got this sussed now you only have to follow one rule don't go near a shop or shopping website, so locked in house or office until pay day on friday then..........

CC