cost of fitting a combi boiler?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
7 replies 2.5K views
boooglebooogle Forumite
144 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I've just had my old faulty combi boiler removed and a new combi boiler fitted which took about 4 hours. This cost me £1200. I've since found out that the boilers cost £500 retail on the web, which means I've been charged approx £700 for the work. Does this seem reasonable? Or have I been ripped off?

Thanks

Replies

• AuntyJeanAuntyJean Forumite
    583 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I got four quotes and even with 'discount for cash (no VAT), I paid £1980!! That did NOT include new radiators. Most of the quotes were over £2,000 + VAT.

Having said that they did have to fit a new 22 ml gas pipe from my meter to the airing cupboard, take out the old emersion tank and my back boiler from the fireplace.

They also had to flush the system for which British Gas charge (separately) £600.

The work took two days.

I will say that I went for a combi more efficient than was necessary but still find the hot water not as hot as my old back boiler - even on the highest setting. If I had known I would have opted for a good old back boiler which, with a fire aswell, would have been £1600!
    There is always light within the dark
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same work as AuntyJean about 2 years ago now, including relocating boiler to the airing cupboard etc, even taking the best Worcester Bosch condesning combi we could get at the time it still was only £1300 including all the labour etc.
  • boooglebooogle Forumite
    144 Posts
    Sounds like I've been had then. The boiler is the 24i worcester Bosch combi (non condenser) and the job was remove old combi from kitchen and install new combi. No other work involved. Also, it is noisy, the fan inside it drones all around the house!
  • I just paid £2800 for a new combi boiler, replace 8 old radiators with 8 new 'convector style' ones with new TRV, a large towel radiator in the bathroom and 2 new radiators in the conservatory & utillity room. All are adequate for the room size in BTU's.

Man, it's hot in here :P
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It can depend on where abouts in the country you live. As far as prices in London & the SE goes I think what you've paid is about average & I paid a little more than that about 5yrs ago when having a new combi fitted.

You can't just go by the retail price of the boiler, as the labour charge is what really sets the final price & we all know the high prices plumbers can command.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • boooglebooogle Forumite
    144 Posts
    Thanks, maybe I've not been ripped off as much as I thought then. Shame the damn thing makes a droning noise audible in every room of the house!
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, maybe I've not been ripped off as much as I thought then. Shame the damn thing makes a droning noise audible in every room of the house!

Perhaps you should call the installer back as a brand new boiler surely shouldn't make that much noise?Failing that, give the boiler manufacturer a call & ask their advice.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals