Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

June 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 208

New Post Advanced Search

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 209.7K views

Replies

• No problem, I love it and am nearly as addicted to it as I am this site - I love sifting through the emails as soon as they arrive to see what's on offer - have had 3 tomatoe plants, a tree for the garden, BM (plus one for my mum), a triple wardrobe plus a TV/Video, DVD player and loads of Videos for our local club to use for the kids! Am currently looking on there for a pot bellied stove for my sister who lives in maidstone as she wants to change hers. I have given loads away too, including stuff for playstation, overalls and an evening dress for a young girl going to her school prom!

Sorry, rambling there a bit, but it is cool.

I'd watch your cats too if I were you, quite the hungry little hippos arn't they :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have a great day, hope it's better where you are, its raining here! :sad:

Definitely going to look then! Sounds great and I am always looking for good homes for 'stuff'! Where does stuff appear from?!!:D

My cats would rule the world given the chance I think- so they obviously need all that food for energy!!

no rain here yet- I am in chelmsford!- but I live 20 minutes from where I work and we get different weather! Does look v gloomy though- perfect for not having to water the garden and for sitting with laptop freecycling!!

Axx
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • Definitely going to look then! Sounds great and I am always looking for good homes for 'stuff'! Where does stuff appear from?!!:D

My cats would rule the world given the chance I think- so they obviously need all that food for energy!!

no rain here yet- I am in chelmsford!- but I live 20 minutes from where I work and we get different weather! Does look v gloomy though- perfect for not having to water the garden and for sitting with laptop freecycling!!

Axx

Your cat's and my dog's - think we'd better look out and get a plan just in case!:rotfl:

You're not far from me, I'm in Basildon - same here, I work 10 mins away and it can be pouring down there and then I seem to drive through a screen where it just stops dead and the sun is shining... weird eh! :confused:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • tq16tq16 Forumite
    233 posts
    Will update siggie later after Lidl shop- spent more than expected but useful store cupboard stuff- particularly flour while on offer and cheese as tons of it gets eaten in our house (wonder if the cats eat that as well as the chocolate??!!);)

DF-- thanks will use the link later and see what there is on offer in my area- or will take your advise and ask!

tq16-- thanks very much- will try these- strange to put the golden syrup in- are they very sweet (I always feel stoooopid asking these questions!!)

Hope everyone is having a great day

Axx

i thought syrup strange too, not sweet at all, but just not as good without it, though still not bad so can be omitted if haven't got any.
    (Family of 5: 2 adults & 3 children aged 7yrs, 4yrs, and 18months)
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No problem, I love it and am nearly as addicted to it as I am this site - I love sifting through the emails as soon as they arrive to see what's on offer - have had 3 tomatoe plants, a tree for the garden, BM (plus one for my mum), a triple wardrobe plus a TV/Video, DVD player and loads of Videos for our local club to use for the kids! Am currently looking on there for a pot bellied stove for my sister who lives in maidstone as she wants to change hers. I have given loads away too, including stuff for playstation, overalls and an evening dress for a young girl going to her school prom!

Sorry, rambling there a bit, but it is cool.

I'd watch your cats too if I were you, quite the hungry little hippos arn't they :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have a great day, hope it's better where you are, its raining here! :sad:

Hi there denisefowler just been reading about your freecycle, :j its great isnt it I am addicted to it , I have been on ours for about 4months, the emails you can get is horrendous:eek: especially if you are a member of more than one , just been today to pick up some drawers:T as we needed them, also had plant pots and all sorts they always seem to have BMs I myself have just given one away its a nice way to do things,:A if you dont want it, dont just throw it away,:eek: find someone who does want it , there is always someone who wants something:beer: to help them along
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Your cat's and my dog's - think we'd better look out and get a plan just in case!:rotfl:

You're not far from me, I'm in Basildon - same here, I work 10 mins away and it can be pouring down there and then I seem to drive through a screen where it just stops dead and the sun is shining... weird eh! :confused:

It is- I learned to check the home weather forecast before deciding to leave the washing out! I often head home and come across the equivilent of a line in the road where its wet one side and dry the other!

We definitely need a plan- one of the cats already is treating us like serfs! he even knocks on the cat flap to come it! :rolleyes:

tq16- I will try with the syrup then! Bit like the cake with vinegar idea- and that worked out scrummy!! :D

oooh- just about home time! hurrah!
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is- I learned to check the home weather forecast before deciding to leave the washing out! I often head home and come across the equivilent of a line in the road where its wet one side and dry the other!

We definitely need a plan- one of the cats already is treating us like serfs! he even knocks on the cat flap to come it! :rolleyes:

tq16- I will try with the syrup then! Bit like the cake with vinegar idea- and that worked out scrummy!! :D

oooh- just about home time! hurrah!

:rotfl: One of our cats rings the bell we have put up for him as he is so old he cant always get through the catflap, or the other cat wont let him in, and he used to knock on the flap to come ,in before the bell
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Afternoon all :D

Ok its official im a numpty :osorry EGON... yes i do have a bag of that flour in my cupboards... i got it when you told me about it before ...i have used some but i mixed it with dinkel (my fave word:p ) spelt flour to us Brits;) and one with sunflower seeds in.. will have to try it just as a plain white loaf next time... hubby loves good old white bread..
    Do you find German bread more dense? is that why you like it? i haven't had any shop bread since i got here..but last time we were out here i used to buy some..and always love the huge range of seeded breads you can get ...

Well folks i have made the chicken n sweetcorn soup for hubby... but my hopes of that being the end of THAT particular chicken haven't quite happened :eek: ... i fetched the stock out of the fridge and i had boiled it for so long it has fetched the gelatine out of the bones so it had set like jelly :T so i had to let it down a bit -so it has made 2 1/2pt plus i just know its going to thicken once it cools so i will have to let it down further :rotfl: so i think i will wang 1/2 in the freezer for later in the week before hubby starts laying eggs :o thing is if he knows there is some left he will say he will have it tomorrow:p

Have been outside watering everything again and as well as the 12 sweet potato slips i have allready planted... the sweet potatoes i left out there whilst planting up a few weeks ago have produced more than 30 more slips :eek: now i just need some more tubs to set them in...if they all work im going to have rather a lot of sweet potatoes by october :rotfl:

Right i had betterget off and get something done ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • MERFEMERFE Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hiya everyone, just thought I would update with how I am doing. Well, I went to sainsburys last night for bread, milk and some fruit and spent 30 pounds, I really should stop wandering around the whole store. so of my 190 pound target I've spent 180 pounds, I'll have to be really strict for the next 2 weeks and hopefully I'll only go over a bit. It's like someone else said just imagine what I would have spent if I wasnt doing the challenge. DS is running a bit low on his baby dry nappies so i put one of DD pull up pants on him this morning and he said he was wearing knickers, I am looking forward to the summer holiday so that he can run round naked, gotta get him potty trained before this baby arrives.
  • KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    Hi there denisefowler just been reading about your freecycle, :j its great isnt it I am addicted to it , I have been on ours for about 4months, the emails you can get is horrendous:eek: especially if you are a member of more than one , just been today to pick up some drawers:T as we needed them, also had plant pots and all sorts they always seem to have BMs I myself have just given one away its a nice way to do things,:A if you dont want it, dont just throw it away,:eek: find someone who does want it , there is always someone who wants something:beer: to help them along

I know, I love it, and like you say, if you don't want it give it to someone else - always good karma :A anyway and I love anything where I build up good karma...:rotfl: . Everyone is so friendly too and really pleased to get the stuff from you.

Another no spend day today - 3 in all :j although I was going to make some twinks just now but don't have enough sugar, that would be because we have just found DS putting about half a bowl on his cereal every morning :mad: - no wonder he's always hyper! Still I don't want to go out just for that so will wait until tomorrow and get some on the way home from work (like to get home quick so I know I won't dawdle if I do that...

8 bread rolls rising on the tray at the moment and another batch in the BM - I did have the wrong yeast (tin looks yellow to me?) but still seems to be rising OK - we'll see. I'm a bit reluctant to use it for bread though as that seems to have been a bit doughy lately and that might be the reason, so will get some BM yeast tomorrow and make some fresh. I love my little loafs now, thanks again Mrs M for all your help.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest Just found this great thread loads of menu ideas i'm sure many of you have already found it but for anybody like me who hasn't have a look.
    Toaday is my 4th NSD Tardaraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Well chuffed with that. Just paid the bills on line so i don't have to go into town (near the shops). Bit gutted i found out today that Bellways Builders) havn't excepted my offer on their property of 20% less than asking price, since they would only offer me 20% below market valve for my house (seemed fair to me). Maybe it just isn'y ment to be...... Give the state of the mortages available and falling prices maybe i've had a lucky escape.

CC