Complaint letter for Ryanair....

Replies

• wolvomanwolvoman Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Donnie: I am not doing that to make myself feel better, they violated our rights and I want them to aknowledge it and not get away with it! It is your type of attitude that lets them get away with it and then it becomes ok to be treated like dirt.

Hi,

Donnie's post was harsh, but he/she did make one very valid point.

The reason Ryanair get away with it is because customers like that. You pay dirt for Ryanair, so you get treated as dirt - it is the same in all walks of life.

I've said before, the only way to show them what you think is with your wallet - fly another airline, and get all your friends and family and colleagues and fellow MSE'ers to do the same.
  • My post was not meant to be dismissive but it was my honest opinion, thats what i thought you wanted. ryanair provide a cheap flight service to many parts of europe previuosly not affordable to many of us but it comes with risks. There are many stories of steep descents to save fuel, staff not being able to charge mobiles at work, flights cancelled to save costs and flights routed from one airport to another to fill planes up instaed of sending empty ones from A to B. They are "unique" in that they always push the boundaries and it is the first time an airline as done it.

Forn the record my last flights over the last 12 months ( i go away alot) have been with BA (very good) Flybe (Good) Bmi baby (very good but always late) Thomsofly and sky europe (very below average ). I would not hesitate to book with ryanair but they are not my preferred choice ( two years previously i flew with them almost every month)

My comment about you sending the letter was send it to make you feel better as in do not back down and not send it. At least you can say you made your point but I fear that if you make it a crusade you may lose, just see the posts on this site over the last two years.

Lets us know how you get on
    The best work is the cheapest as the quality remains long after the price is forgotten
  • OK Donnie, it is clearer now!

I will print the letter and send it out and then I will send it to the relevant authorities! And I will follow it through!

Thx for the suggestions people!
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • ok, i am giving some news!

I have received an email from Ryanair... it starts with "Without Prejudice" and then follows with my old address instead of my new one which was on the letter... dunno what "without prejudice" is supposed to mean!

"Dear Ms XXX,

I acknowledge receipt of your recent correspondence.

As you may appreciate your flight the FR9809 on the 4th October was cancelled due to strike action by Air Traffic Controllers in France. This strike was announced at short notice and was totally outside of Ryanair's control. As this flight cancellation was due to extraordinary circumstances no monetary compensation is due.

However I have noted that we re-accommodated you on flight FR3465 the following day from Reus.

I was sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the service provided by our staff at Girona. We pride ourselves upon the high standards of service and professionalism provided by all of our staff and as such we do expect the same level of professionalism from our handling agents. We maintain these standards with regular retraining programmes which ensure that not only our own staff but also our handling agents are constantly reminded of their most important function - to be friendly and professional at all times. I do sincerely regret that this was not reflected to you on this occasion and as such I have forwarded your comments to our Ground Handling Manager to ensure that such a situation does not recur.

Renewed apologies.

Yours sincerely

Ryanair Passenger Compensation Department"

Now, I am about to send them the following:

"On Friday 28th October, I faxed you a letter of complaint detailing the ordeal caused by the cancellation of our flight on Tuesday 4th October.
    We have then received an email from your Customer Services which was obviously a simple “copy and paste” generic answer. It is pretty obvious from its contents that you did not bother reading our letter: the cause of our complaint was not necessarily the cancellation of the flight in itself but your (or lack of) handling of your stranded passengers.
    You referred to the compensation we would have been entitled would the cancellation had been your responsibility. While we had already stated that we knew that we were not entitled to such compensation, as the cancellation was caused by the French strike. What we were claiming for was a goodwill payment from your part for the accommodation, food, beverages, and transfers you blatantly refused to provide even though you are required to under the EU rights. Not only you violated our European Rights as passengers but now your (lack of) effort to compensate for this bad experience is outrageous. As a consequence, we are informing you that we will forward every correspondence to both the Air Transport Users Council and the Directorate General of Transport and Energy of the European Commission to let them know how you treat your customers and violate Passenger’s European Rights.

If you wish to respond to this letter with a “copy-paste” generic email, please refrain, as to do so would only add to the insult."

And I really mean it!

Any advice on the letter? Still the same, sentences, grammar etc...

Thx in advance.
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    re: 'without prejudice'

The basic meaning is 'without loss of any rights'. It is a term used when two parties are in dispute, and one makes a settlement offer to the other. It puts 'without prejudice' on its offer to make it clear that the settlement offer should not be construed as a waiver of rights. Importantly, communication marked 'without prejudice' cannot be used in evidence in court proceedings if the attempts at settlement fail and the dispute comes to court.
  • AltarfAltarf Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I am not doing that to make myself feel better, they violated our rights and I want them to aknowledge it and not get away with it!

And did they do that, or did they tell you in a polite way to get lost?
  • if you rwead it it says get lost
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • With your second letter, I think you need to remove your personal feelings, although it is how you feel, it is never considered very professional or rational to explain feelings, more facts. So personally I would remove all of the expressions that refer to hurt, anger, emotion and most definately your references to their "copy-paste" reply. Ask yourself if a professional were righting this, such as a lawyer, would they refer to such things? You will not be compensated for these, but may be compensated if you are totally right on your facts, so emphase these.

If you are sure that they are in breach of your European Rights, then find the passage or entry which refers to how your rights may have been breached and quote it, refering the quote back to your actual experience. The facts are all you should ever include in a letter such as this if you want to be taken seriously, if you rant and rant then they will not see you as any form of threat. If you know the facts and are able to explain exactly how any breach has been made then you will be taken seriously and the letter will be passed to their lawyers as apose to their admin staff.

Draft out all of the facts, include times, anything factual that you remember not just those which are on your side, but also what action they did take (as ultimately they did take some as you made it home) then try to counter them with what they should have done via European Rights or any other that you find which are relevant.

In my opinion the situation is not their fault or their responsibility as a strike is well outside their realm of responsibility to you as a consummer. The strike has a direct effect on their service and it is not possible for every flight to be instantly diverted to avoid French airspace (if that was the effect of the strike). But if you really truely know differently, then prove it, not by stating a threat of EU Rights but by facts clearly stated.

It will be more effort to document this factually but the route you are taking at the moment will just not wash with any company. Sorry to be harsh but I think you may well appreciate reality rather than being told thats great!
  • Walrus,

your post is very good and enlightening! I will take the time to document everything like you said, but i still feel like sending that to the relevant authorities... just so they get lots of trouble for it.

they did make us home, but 24 hours later, refused to pay for the transfers to and from other airports and left us at the airport and refused to provide hotel and meals even though our rights stipulate that the airline have to provide for those if the plane is delayed or cancelled (and passengers stranded) for more than 5 hours, which is what happened, this regardless of whether or not the cancellation was their fault or not.

OK, let us spare some time for doing this this weekend, another thing on my list to do!
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?