New Post Advanced Search

May 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.5K replies 129.4K views

Replies

• MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Hi there Tashja ..here you go..managed to find and copy it :D

It is supposed to be made in a 2lb loaf tin..but i decided to turn it into mini muffins (hubby doesn't have much of a sweet tooth and i still have enough weight to lose -so thought mini was a good idea ;) ) it made 38

Anyone who likes carrot/passioncake should love this one :D

COURGETTE TEA BREAD
    pre-heat oven to 180c/350f/gas 4
    grease a 2lb loaf tin and bottom line with greaseproof paper - make it so it comes up the narrow edges so you can use it to lift it out ;)
    or line muffin tins with papers
    1. 1 large egg
    2. 125ml sunflower oil
    3. 175g courgettes -trimmed and grated (on large holes)
    4. 150g wholewheat flour -i used ordinary
    5. 1/2tsp baking powder
    6. 1tsp bicarb
    7. 1tsp ground cinnamon
    8. 175g soft dark brown sugar
    9. 75g sultanas
    10. 3oz walnuts chopped
    • tip courgettes and all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well
    • whisk egg into the oil and pour into dry goods
    • mix to a thick batter and pour in tin
    • shove in oven for about 1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean..cool in tin for 10 mins before turning out to cool
    How is THAT for a method? :j ...chuck it in, stir it round..job done :D
    when cutting you will need a really sharp knife as its lovely n sticky and This will keep in a tin for 1 week.... or can be frozen.
    i made 38 mini muffins and they took about 15 mins a batch and if you let them stand for a few seconds in the tin they firm up and are easier to remove :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • jinky67jinky67 Forumite
    47.8K posts
    My shopping was delivered today £103.07...hopefully it will last the month( apart from milk and fruit and veg etc) as I have loads in the freezer from last month.....so I discovered when I was putting it away:rolleyes:
    6 loads of mince and 5 packs of sausages:o
    only problem I have now is nowhere to put leftovers etc..oops:D
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • leonlalaleonlala Forumite
    56 posts
    hi all
    good news about Ruby Mandy!
    managed to get to town this am, got a lift with neighbor in exchange for helping her get mobility scooter in and out of car.
    so spending to account for:
    £5.03 in Somerfield (two boxes of tick tock 99p each. it's redbush tea I don't drink tea.)
    looked at yellow sticker but said no no. don't need it.
    small pot of yogurt for trying again with yogurt making.
    £11.45 in fruit and veg shop
    £3.64 in woolworths (£1 on tub to keep h/m yoghurt in. and £2 on two pairs of short for ds.)
    £8.17 in butchers
    £ 1.99 on book on stall for dd for 8th birthday from her brother.
    thats its!!
    hopefully that should be it till next week, maybe, apart from sweety day. (fri)
    and possibly might have to get some sandals for kids, thinking about croc like shoes in stead and simpsons (2 for 1) thou not sure how much they are.
    off to enjoy the sun.
    lala
    :j BSC member 187

• TashjaTashja Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you MrsMcawber :)

Going to give them a go - not going to tell DH and the kids its got Courgette in though !!!

T xx
    Comp wins from 2011

11k in 2011 - £20.01
    :j
  • Nessa56Nessa56 Forumite
    946 posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    Asda shop arrived on Saturday, there was soooooooo much more there than I remember ordering, I felt so bad for the guy I had to give him a tip.

Number 3 NSD day for me this week :p

I like this game very much :T :T

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spends so far - £195.49 out of £350. I did buy quite a few packets of prunes, dried blueberries and nuts and berries (Waitrose ones) which had been drastically reduced. They should last a while - if I can keep my hands off them :rotfl:

I also bought some Waitrose organic bread flour because the price seems to have come down from £1.45 to £1.29. I'm going to Tesco on Saturday, so if they have the Doves bread flour still at £1.01 I'll buy a few of those too.

I will only be buying stuff which is a bargain for the storecupboard stocks between now and the end of my month (24th May) because I have plenty in to feed us all until then.

• Penny-Pincher!!Penny-Pincher!! Forumite
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Again!

Ive just found a Quiche Lorraine in the freezer, so will do that for dinner tomorrow night instead of Shepherds Pie with the weather being so warm ATM. Might get OH to pop to the Greengrocers on way to pick DD up and get a lettuce, beetroot and some new pots. Then tomorrow we can have Quiche, mixed salad, boiled eggs and new pots. Yummy!

Might do a jelly for pudding.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • gunsandbanjosgunsandbanjos Forumite
    12.2K posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    Bought stuff to make soup the other day and havent made it yet because the weather has gone crazy!! However i dont want to waste the veggies, should i just make it and freeze it:confused: Although dont really have much freezer room:o Grr, its all so complicated:rotfl:
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Hi all.

Decided to take my grocery money out in cash so I can keep a genuine eye on it.

Spent £1.83 today on scones and jam to use up the left over cream from monday night.

Our new fridge/freezer has arrived too :D so I intend to spend time tomorrow morning organising my food.

My cooking skills are ok but I must admit that I have never done much baking really. I have a bread machine but have only ever used the ready prepared mixes in it. What would you all do if you wanted to get started? Does making your own bread, cakes etc really save a lot of money?

Ginger x
  • Nessa56Nessa56 Forumite
    946 posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    Bought stuff to make soup the other day and havent made it yet because the weather has gone crazy!! However i dont want to waste the veggies, should i just make it and freeze it:confused: Although dont really have much freezer room:o Grr, its all so complicated:rotfl:

You can make it and freeze it, that is what I do and it works out fine, I only have a small fridge top freezer and I just freeze it in individual portions and this works well

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T