Jewellery making anyone??

in Crafting
746 replies 81.4K views

Replies

• Jo_F wrote: »
    That's about reasonable, I usually get my findings from either Santuary Beads or the Bead Shed, both of which have Ebay shops and are aslo very reasonable and quick (and the people at the Bead Shed are really helpful)

One thing, be very careful if you look in Hobbycraft, they can be rather pricey.

Just had a look at Santuary and they are reasonable, have added them to my favourites but couldn't find a shop/seller called Bead Shed.

Hobbycraft are pricey for everything aren't they!!!!!!!
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to use PJ Minerals (although they can be a bit pricey), I also used buy stuff from Janet Coles Beads but she got too greedy and opened too many shops and she has disappeared (although I do have a couple of her catalogues - they were handy because they also had the instructions on how to make various necklaces etc).

I keep seeing ads for a company called Troll Beads - they probably sell findings as well (findings for the unitiated are the clasps, earhooks etc but not the beads).

I didnt buy expensive jewellery pliers either, I just went somewhere like Maplin and bought a small pair of wire cutters, some round nosed pliers and some straight nosed pliers (ones with flat sides) - these fit comfortably in the hand and are not ridiculously expensive like the proper jewellery ones.

HTH
  • vicks276vicks276 Forumite
    834 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I used PJ Minerals to buy quite a few basics - I ordered with a friend and we managed to get the stuff at wholesale prices which worked out pretty good. On ebay I use tug.tug for swarovski crystals (not a bead/findings seller but has the odd auction and they were a bargain!), jewel-mania for beautiful handmade clay beads and angs-attic-2008 (really good prices on everything). I've built up a really good stash of beads and stuff, made quite a few bits and bobs hoping to post some piccies when I can get a borrow of a digi cam, would appreciate some honest, un-biased opinions if thats ok. worried about getting laughed out of this craft fair im doing!!!

Hobbycraft are expensive for most things, but my local one in Stockport had a good clearance shelf a couple of weeks back. Got some lovely glass pearls, seeds, 3 packs of bugles and some pendants for about £3.00.
    :heart2: Stuff & Thangs :heart2:
  • Thanx some new sellers mentioned here for ebay that I haven't come across. All going on my fav seller list so I can flit between them!!! I love lamp beads and I'm always on the lookout for bargains!!!
  • Jo_F wrote: »

Thanks alot Jo - will go and have a look now!!!! This is proving to be a good thread!!!!!
  • sweetpeas_2sweetpeas_2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    hi everyone,
    soooo glad i found this thread. Been thinking of making some jewellry myself, only for pressies for family/friends at christmas, but thought it might work out cheaper then buying expensive gifts, plus they all have personal touch.

I have absolutely no idea where to start- ok, this is going to sound so thick (!) but is findings a code word for something else? cos i thought you were all meanings like findings as in things you had found... thats wrong now im guessing?!
    LOL- proper novice!
    xx
    can anyone add some pics I'd love to get an idea of what you've been making. :)
  • Jo_FJo_F Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Findings are the non beady bits, so that would include the necklace clasps, earwires, brooch backs, chains etc.
  • vicks276vicks276 Forumite
    834 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    im going to try and take a couple of pics on my mobile might not look so great but will have a go brb x
    :heart2: Stuff & Thangs :heart2:
  • Jo_FJo_F Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, it seems that I have managed to delete everything off my photobucket account and as I had to have a new drive installed on my laptop last week, all my pics are still on my daughter's computer at the moment, so the only one I have available (with the exception of whats on my website and I can't put that detail here) is the one bracelet that I have on pinkdoodle.

Mods please note, I am not advertising in anyway, it's the only pic that I have as an example.

Anyway here's the link to the pic

http://www.pinkdoodle.com/ItemDetail.aspx?itemid=1477
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI