Jewellery making anyone??

in Crafting
746 replies 81.4K views

Replies

• I havent made anything...but would love to see/hear the ideas of everyone else!
    No Liinks in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Jo_F wrote: »
    Sorry Millie, I didn't mean to high jack your thread, it caught my eye and I noticed that you weren't online at the time and that's why I answered (makes a change for me to be able to answer something!).

didn't mean to step on toes and hope that I haven't.

Jo

Noooo, not at all :) That was what I wanted, for us all to muck in and share;)
  • vicks276vicks276 Forumite
    834 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys

I have just got into jewellery making. I am doing a craft fair with a frend in May. I'm really nervous about it! Anybody got any tips for a newbie?

Also, i'm really struggling to find jewellery display stands, you know, lke busts and earring stands. I dont want to spend loads on these as i'd rather put the money towards beads. I only have half a table at this fair and need to use my space carefully. Any ideas?

Vicks xx
    :heart2: Stuff & Thangs :heart2:
  • Jo_FJo_F Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have two small metal stands that my ex husband made me years ago, and I use these to stand cork notice boards up in, that way I can pin the earrings or necklaces to the boards.

I also use a mug tree for bracelets, and small wicker baskets (and some plastic wicker baskets) for keyrings and things, I also have some boards that my grandma made me, they are just hardboard or chipboard, with a bit of padding/cushioning, and then covered with velvet/velour material and then she glued some braid around the edges.

One suggestion that I have heard is to use picture frames as they come with a stand attatched.

Try searching for jewellery displays on Ebay, I got a bracelet stand for a couple of quid once.
  • vicks276 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have just got into jewellery making. I am doing a craft fair with a frend in May. I'm really nervous about it! Anybody got any tips for a newbie?

Also, i'm really struggling to find jewellery display stands, you know, lke busts and earring stands. I dont want to spend loads on these as i'd rather put the money towards beads. I only have half a table at this fair and need to use my space carefully. Any ideas?

Vicks xx

Have a look on ebay. You may be able to make your own and get some ideas from there. You could use a large cork board or notice board for displaying. I made a ring display piece from a small wooden drawer from an old dressing table. Lined it with a veloury type fabric and then made wooden slates to go across the width (you need to measure to see how many will fit snuggly in), which I wrapped very thin foam around for padding and then covered in the same velour fabric. Then line the slates widthways in the drawer and you have a ring holder! I was able to push the rings in nicely and they stayed in place and looked good. Small baskets look ok also for small things so people can rummage through.

LOL Jo_F - you beat me to it!!!!!
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are ever in Birmingham go to the jewellery quarter. There is a shop there called Erics and I used to buy my boxes and other display stuff there as well as buying some earrings etc to sell to supplement my own - Erics was always as cheap as chips:j

Look around charity shops for beads as well as old tailors half dummies (just the top no legs) as you can use these to display necklaces etc. BTW a mug stand is good too - I have one in my bedroom and have draped all my necklaces over it (£1 in a charity shop).
  • vicks276vicks276 Forumite
    834 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys. Im watching about 6 display things on ebay already, and I bought 2 cork notice boards that i'm going to try and do something with. Good idea with the mug tree, wouldn't have thought of that!

vicks xx
    :heart2: Stuff & Thangs :heart2:
  • Jo_FJo_F Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Once you start getting into crafting (of most types!) you do start to look at everyday objects with different eyes.

Charity shops can also be a good source of beads, as can car boot sales, especially if you look at stuff with the thought of stripping it down into components.
  • How much is a decent price to pay for sprung earring wires silver plated. I was looking on ebay and saw 200 pieces (100 pairs) for £2.98-does this sound reasonable??? Any other suggestions for cheaper prices for these?? I have found that if you buy from websites they tend to work out more expensive because of the postage rates-am I just looking at the wrong sites??
  • Jo_FJo_F Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    That's about reasonable, I usually get my findings from either Santuary Beads or the Bead Shed, both of which have Ebay shops and are aslo very reasonable and quick (and the people at the Bead Shed are really helpful)

One thing, be very careful if you look in Hobbycraft, they can be rather pricey.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide