Orchid Dialler Discount

in Phones & TV
871 replies 150.4K views

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anon wrote:
    And a potential silly question - it is mentioned above that for Peak, Dialaround should be used for 0845 numbers as they charge only 2p/min. As the Dialaround access number is 0844, is there a charge for the 0844 call plus 2p a minute or is it just 2p/min overall?

Also, how does it know what to charge when you don't need to set an account up and they seem to have rates from 1p/min to 5p/min for 0844?

Many thanks

Anon
    It's 2p/minute (but, as you'd be dialling out on BT, their 5p minimum call charge applies).

The 0844 number they use has a fixed charged of 2p/minute (from a BT landline).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote:
    It's 2p/minute (but, as you'd be dialling out on BT, their 5p minimum call charge applies).

The 0844 number they use has a fixed charged of 2p/minute (from a BT landline).

I said it may be a silly question - so if the 0844 number has a fixed charge of 2p/min from BT (5p minimum charge), how can Dialaround charge anywhere between 1p and 5p a minute for some of the other destinations (listed on their website)?

This is possibly off topic - sorry - just puzzled :confused: .

Anon
  • I have a BT master socket (BT one side, 6wire extension wiring the other) - is there a method of connecting the extension wiring into the Orchid Dialler so that the extensions would be routed thruogh the dialler too?

I was thinking of, say, an adaptor that would let me terminate the 6wire cable onto a telephone plug that could be plugged into the side of the dialler.

Why does everyone not have this problem?
  • Hi All,
    The clocks are changing on Sunday and to keep your dialler clock up to date you will to do one of the following: (this only applies if you have time/day routing)
    "force home" the dialler by dialling ***12#4567890*3 then hang up. Or you can update the clock using your phone, just enter the code below.

**#0000* (hhmmdowddmmyy) *2 Day Of Week is Monday = 1 through Sunday =7
    so for today at 15:30 the string would be:

**#0000* 15305281005 *2 then hangup.

Please note, when entering these codes you may hear an announcement along the lines of "the number you have dialled has not been recognised" if you get this message ignore it and keep dialling, then hang up lift up and press redial. Alternatively you can dial the whole string offhook and then go onhook to release the digit string, this should avoid the exchange error. We would like to thank all the mneysavers who have bought one of our diallers and we hope they are saving you plenty on your phone bills, just time for a quick plug (sorry) We now have a voipbuster/skype compatible USB phone on the shop, and you can still get your discount for being an MSE. Thanks again.
    Orchid Electronics.
  • obviousobvious Forumite
    82 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    From reading through the thread I've come up with this list
    01/02 Geographic off peak - 'Primus Saver Option 2' OR 'just-dial Saver Lite' (CPS)
    01/02 Geographic numbers peak. 1899.
    Landline to mobile. 18185
    0844/0871 BT all all times (1280 to bypass CPS).
    0845 Peak. (dialaround) 0844 462 68 68
    0870 Peak 18185
    0845/0870 Evenings and Weekends BT (1280 to bypass CPS).
    Directory Enquiries 0800 0192 190

Now amended (thanks) so it should be up to date.

Perhaps there should be a constantly updated sticky with info like this?
  • SnapeloverSnapelover Forumite
    435 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Got my dialler box last week, sent an email to Orchid with my requirements and Bob's your uncle! Brilliant! No need to sit for hours trying to work it all out.
  • fbrjfbrj Forumite
    376 Posts
    ✭✭
    Snapelover wrote:
    Got my dialler box last week, sent an email to Orchid with my requirements and Bob's your uncle! Brilliant! No need to sit for hours trying to work it all out.

Great news!!! :):)
  • fbrjfbrj Forumite
    376 Posts
    ✭✭
    obvious wrote:
    From reading through the thread I've come up with this list

Does this seem about right?

18185 are charging 5p/min peak rate to mobiles (a very recent change!) - but keep an eye on it. Apart from that your proposed list looks good!
  • obviousobvious Forumite
    82 Posts
    fbrj wrote:
    18185 are charging 5p/min peak rate to mobiles (a very recent change!) - but keep an eye on it. Apart from that your proposed list looks good!

Thanks!

I'll amend the original post to reflect the update :)
  • fbrjfbrj Forumite
    376 Posts
    ✭✭
    obvious wrote:
    Thanks!

I'll amend the original post to reflect the update :)

I have just seen your amended post above...what I meant was that 18185 should now be used for peak, evening and w/ends - ie all calls to mobiles. 5p/min peak and evenings...2p/min at w/ends. [18866, 1899 and 18185 do not distinguish between peak and evening rates].
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides