Water bills cost cutting article

in Water Bills
173 replies 24K views

Replies

• Hi, I live with my partner in a rented 4 bedroom house. According to 'buy' calculations we could save at least £100 a year. We are planning on moving abroad in April but we might have to stay in the country for a bit longer, maybe until the end of next summer. Is it still worth installing a meter? Our supplier is Severn Trent. Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you!
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The savings quoted in the Buy article are meaningless.

I do not dispute their estimation of charges when on a metered tariff, but they compare their estimated charges with the charges for a 4 bedroomed house on an un-metered tariff which they show as £340. A 4 bedroomed house could have unmetered charges ranging from £100 or less for an unmodernised terrace to £2,000 or more for a luxury detached 'mansion'.

As has been said many times the unmetered charges depend on the Rateable Value(RV) and the area the property is situated.

In my part of the Severn Trent Area you pay £1.61 per £1 of RV(assuming you pay full unmeasured sewarage) Even within Severn Trent the charges vary widely.

That means that a £340 charge would mean a property having a RV of £211. To put that in perspective my 4 bedroomed house has(had) a RV of £700 and I would be faced with charges of over £1,100 had I not fitted a meter.

The estimates for metered consumption are a reasonable indication of what you might expect to pay. However the only way to calculate the savings over unmetered charges is to know what you are currently paying or find out your RV and the charges for the area in which you live.
  • Thanks for taking the time to explain Cardew. Our current bill is £ 390 for the year. I don't know what the RV charge is for our area, but I would be surprised if we didn't save anything with a meter. We are very careful with how we use the water. My main concern at the moment is whether it's worth going ahead with it since we might be leaving the property in April. Will there still be enough time to profit from the savings? We only paid one half of the yearly bill a couple of weeks ago.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sultana wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to explain Cardew. Our current bill is £ 390 for the year. I don't know what the RV charge is for our area, but I would be surprised if we didn't save anything with a meter. We are very careful with how we use the water. My main concern at the moment is whether it's worth going ahead with it since we might be leaving the property in April. Will there still be enough time to profit from the savings? We only paid one half of the yearly bill a couple of weeks ago.

If you look at the water bill it will show the Rateable Value of your property on it as that is the basis of your charges. I would guess your RV would be around £250.

There will normally be 2 items on the bill.

The Water charge X the RV e.g. 85.75p X 250 = £214
    The sewerage charge X the RV* 75.29p X 250 = £188

*The sewerage charge is dependant on your surface water(drainpipes etc) going into the drains or a soakaway.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone living solo in The Anglianwater Region and using less than 75 cubic metres a year should go on to the SOLOW tariff. I pay £60 A YEAR,all in, Water and Sewerage. Reduceable even more if I was to follow all the tips here.
  • waterbaby wrote:
    Is this true if the supply and the sewage companies are separate? Is the supplying company going to inform the sewage company of how much water I use?

I estimated that I could save more than I pay the water supply company. So either the supply company informs the sewage company, or I'm underestimating what I use. Perhaps I should keep a 'water diary' for a month to see. It'll be interesting getting people to record when they have used the toilet...

Waterbaby. My water company is seperate from the sewerage company. The water supply company charge about £1.40 cu.m to supply water and the sewerage company chanrge £1.28 cu.m for disposal.(Approximate figures). You only get one meter so the water company charge you for the sewerage and pass the money on if the sewerage is a seperate company. On average 1 person uses 1 cu.m per week for all domestic purposes.
  • XbigmanXbigman Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Waterbaby. My water company is seperate from the sewerage company. The water supply company charge about £1.40 cu.m to supply water and the sewerage company chanrge £1.28 cu.m for disposal.(Approximate figures). You only get one meter so the water company charge you for the sewerage and pass the money on if the sewerage is a seperate company. On average 1 person uses 1 cu.m per week for all domestic purposes.

Wow. From memory (but pretty accurate) I pay 73p (water) and 1.23 (sewage). The variation in water charges across the country is massive. I wonder why?
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • mjlcmjlc Forumite
    2 Posts
    The utility company taking away your waste water assumes that your rain water goes down the drain with your dirty water. If your rainwater goes to a garden soakaway instead you can save up to £25 on your annual utiliy bill. Just ask your utility company to confirm this; it's an easy win for the cost of a phone call (a money saving one of course: https://www.SAYNOTO0870.COM, and / or 1899).
    :beer:
  • A Meter works for me! :rotfl:
    After moving into my new house I received a Water Services Bill from Thames Water which was based on my Rateable value. (Detached, 4 Beds 2 Adults ,2 Teens,D/washer, Wash M/c, 30 power showers p/w, 3 baths.)

They wanted £855.65 for the year (1/4/05 – 31/3/06) or £2.34 per day.
    I requested a Meter (for free) and after 232 days (including Garden auto watering in our dry Summer) I have paid 93p per day!
    A Meter slashed my bill by 60% or £513.00 per year!!!!
    "you know it makes sense" :j
    I'm still an atheist, thank God.
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Hi All

Another thing to ask for is to see if there is a different charge if you use less.

With Anglian water my Sewage provider, I was using less than thier 75 cubic meters litres of water limit and got a reduction of 50%!

It maybe not for everybody as they charge slightly higher rates.

It will need a calculation to see if it's worth it for you.

Because I'm with Essex & Suffolk the water supplier, I got an even better deal as they charge their own water price rates for water only.

As for saving money on my bill. My Last full Rateable value bill was £240 that was 2000. Been paying since, about £80 per year!

One word of warning if you change from rateable to meter. If you are on a monthly account cancel it. I was told when I changed that I would have to pay a monthly payment that worked out to be the full rateable value of the last year which was £240. Any credit paid back at the end of the year.

I had worked out at the time I would most proberly be using £120 on the meter. I wanted the money in my pocket not thiers!

My advice if they won't reduce your payments is to do what I did. Went for the bill to sent to me, paid it over the counter in a bank. Once I had a 'usage record' went pack onto monthly, paying a more reasonable payment.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES