i truly do give up with these people!!!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] sorry haven't explained myself very well. i claimed tax credits from 2003 right up to april this year. each year having a massive overpayment 2003 was around £2000 2004 and 2005 the same each. so in April 2007 i closed my bank account down and told the tax credits to stop any money going in and said I would end my claim in April 2008 for the next tax year and that would be the end of it as I have had so many overpayments. I gave my end of year wages this month and I now have the letter to say my tax credits ended at end of financial year 2008 so from that date forward im no longer claiming. but 2007-2008 is a valid claim. My account has been on suspend until the correct bank account details were given. I gave my old ones and news ones this month and was told about 2 weeks ago that everything would be finalised and any underpayment or overpayments are calculated. But now they are saying as there system says I no longer claim as of this year it now wont automaticly process the underpayment and I need to call and double check in 2 days to see if i need to raise an appeal.

well called back today

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]the final answer on this I got today. because i asked for my account to be ended at the end of the financial year 2008 in march they are considering the previous year now null and void and now will not get the £2500 I have had letters saying they owe me. I have one saying they will make a payment of £1900 in march so if I had given my bank details would it have been an overpayment. I was told If I gave my final salery for this year which i did this month they could finaise the old claim and work out the correct amount. what was the point in this if they are just going to ignore it ever happened. im so confused. so am i now right in thinking that if you cancel your claim in april 2008-2009 you lose 2007-2008 even though all you have done if not fill in the new years forms???*** im totally miffed. ive been led to believe that this money was eventually coming to me. im savage. I had one girl assure me that if the claim ended after april i would not have to pay anything back which effectively is whats happened. I thought they couldn't upset me anymore well well done you insensitive bunch of self righteous idiots!!!! and im meant to just take this?
[/FONT]
Converted comper to MSE. Thank you for all your answers!

Comments

• alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    if you dont renew i believe you have to repay anything you got the previous year. BUT if you rang them and they said it'd be OK than you really need to appeal. they do record all phone calls so all they have to do is listen to them to know what you've been told.
  • furby-2003
    furby-2003 Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    i must admit I dont understand it. I mean how can you possibly cancel it like that. as far as i was concerned april 2008 is the new financial year and i'd filled in my forms for 2007-2008 so that was valid at the time and given my p60 details last month to finalise it. so do you never really have that for the whole year then im so confused.
  • furby-2003
    i have just found a letter saying your claim has ended and you do not have an overpayment. so why are they keeping my money!
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    furby-2003 wrote: »
    i have just found a letter saying your claim has ended and you do not have an overpayment. so why are they keeping my money!

are you sure they owe you?
  • furby-2003
    It continues i have a tc602 saying they are going to make a payment of £1802.51 on the 22nd April after the cut off period
  • furby-2003
    They hadn't got my correct bank details until recently. which they and I knew.
  • furby-2003
    and a final one on 6th may well after cut off saying im owed £1865.78 after i gave my p60 details.
  • furby-2003
    yes sorry. i haven't had any payments since april 2007
  • sjaypink
    sjaypink Posts: 6,740 Forumite
    think you need to put all this in writing to them, its useless trying to do anything over the phone.
    if you google 'tax credits mistakes' or similar there are a few good sites that have been set up which appear to have a good knowledge of how to go about things. think some 'crusaders' (!) have provided email addresses also if you need individual help.
    sorry cant help anymore than that- only advice i have is to do absolutely everything in writing from now on (a lot less stressful from personal experience- saying that i still havn't resolved claim for 03/04!)
    good luck
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure