structural engineer survey on a 200 year old house?

Have just been told by our mortgage company that we need one as our valuation was a little bit lower than what we're paying. It's a new town house in Edinburgh (ie pretty sturdy) and we're putting down >50% deposit.

Our solicitor says he's never heard anything like it (been in business 30 years+) but the person I spoke to at the mortgage place says it's what the notes on our file from the underwriter say and they must be obeyed!

They have a panel of engineers that we must use and there's only one in the area - and he's 30 miles away! So presumably they can charge whatever they like as we've no choice but to go with him? I left a message today at 4pm and was not called back - and it sounded like his home answering machine!

Does anyone have any advice? We're now really time constrained as they've been sitting on our application for 4 weeks due to the crunch backlog.

Replies

• SnoozeSnooze Forumite
    2K Posts
    Subject wrote:
    structural engineer survey on a 200 year old house?

It's a new town house in Edinburgh

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Rob
  • tbs624tbs624 Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a new town house in Edinburgh .....

Snooze- the statements are probably not quite as contradictory as you might think: New Town is an area in central Edinburgh built between the mid 1700- 1800s and is full of period properties. It's even a UNESCO World Heritage Site. :D
  • tbs624tbs624 Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have just been told by our mortgage company that we need one as our valuation was a little bit lower than what we're paying. ........
    ............... .. the person I spoke to at the mortgage place says it's what the notes on our file from the underwriter say and they must be obeyed!

What were the survey results like? Did they flag up any particular concerns?

You can always ask to speak to the someone at the underwriters for clarification.If they still insist on the structural engineer's report , and you can't see why, then you'll have to decide how important this property is to you. Aren't New Town properties pretty sought after?
  • JonbvnJonbvn Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP,

It would seem that you are over a barrel? The only thing I would suggest is that you find a closer & cheaper engineer on http://www.findanengineer.com/Index.asp
    and negotiate with the lender to use them.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • Thank you for comments and suggestions, I'm going to look at the website and look for another engineer, I've left another message with him but still no reply. I presumed that he wouldn't just be one bloke on his own and that there would be someone answering his company phone, but I think it must just be him.
    The survey tbs didn't indicate anything that our solicitor appeared to be worried about and I was taking his advice. I've called the original surveyor so that I can understand better what his comments mean, but he's out surveying.
    We're supposed to move in a fortnight - aaargh!
  • Aha! I've just spoken to the surveyor and he has said the house doesn't need a structural survey and he will write a letter to that effect if they contact him. Hopefully this will be the end of it...
    I also looked at the find an engineer website and the nearest one is - Dundee! Or even further away in Glasgow. Niche in the market for any engineers out there?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals