Council Cash incentive scheme, i need some advice

I have been a council tennant for 10 years now and they have accepted my application for the cash incentive grant. Before they can offer me the money they are sending a property surveyor around to veiw my property and make sure its in a good condition to move a homeless family in.
Has anyone been through this or similar with thier local council?

I dont know what to expect or how long the whole process takes. Ive already found the house I want and have paid the £500 reservation fee. Im also waiting for our mortgage acceptence hopefully by next week.

Any advice on the whole cash incentive process would be greatly appreciated. Tjey wont tell me anything at all and are so unhelpfull.

cheers

Replies

• SquatNowSquatNow Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    In the time between you putting your deposit down and writing that post, the house you've agreed to buy has lost £250 in value.

So you are now in negative equity to the tune of £250.

Congratulations!
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • *jobags**jobags* Forumite
    167 Posts
    The surveyor will generally be checking that it's in good decorative order and apart from basic gas and electric safety checks there is nothin major to do before they can move a family in

Health and safety - is the garden clear of old cars, tyres, pond filled in or has a safety cover - remember you can't interfere with tadpoles if you have any - no I don't mean in that way, you can't get rid of them

Is it in good decorative order?

Is the kitchen/bathroom in a reasonable condition for it's age? - wear and tear etc is reasonable

Have you put in any electrical fittings e.g. lights or other fancy stuff which it's going to cost them to get rid of and install bog standard social landlord fittings

If it is in a nightmare condition they may refuse to release the money, if there are a few outstanding bits and bobs they may agree to release it but hold a retention of £500 - 2,000 until the day you move out and the list of outstanding stuff to sort out has been checked an OK'd by them on the final inspection when you hand the keys back.

Try to arrange to hand the keys back on site if there is a retention as above - you don't want to be paying for any mess left by contractors

Any specifice questions let me know

Make sure that if there is anything they want you to do before handing the keys back is given to you in writing - if they don't give it to you in writing then hand deliver a letter, copied to your solicitor asking for it in writing and only do what they ask for

Just post again if any worries - but don't worry - they want it to go through as much as you do
    Jo
    Debt @ 31.01.10 £324,422
    Debt @ 31.01.11 £311,289

Get debts under £300k by 31.12.11 £561/£11,850 at 15/1/11
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News