interior door handles - will they fit?

This is another of my 'son in a new flat' enquiries!

The flat has plain white doors that we don't want to change at present. Saw nice round rose door handles in B&Q - their handles all seem to say 'fit doors 35-44m ' but the lounge door is quite thick 45mm.

Have looked on door furniture websites and they dont tend to mention door depth just spindle length which seems to be a standardised 7.9mm. Does that equate to the 35-44mm door depth does anyone know? The door handle that is on at the moment is the same as on all the other doors its nothing special so am wondering if wewould get away with the B&Q handles or whether have got to find something different (or change the door).

Replies

• foxwalesfoxwales Forumite
    590 Posts
    If those are the handles you want; then shaving 1mm off of your doors where the handle is going to go; isn't a big job ;)
  • adazeadaze Forumite
    623 Posts
    7.9mm sounds like the spindle width, I'm sure you can buy longer spindles somewhere... As the door is only 1mm too wide you might get away with it :confused:
  • moneylovermoneylover Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    foxwales wrote: »
    If those are the handles you want; then shaving 1mm off of your doors where the handle is going to go; isn't a big job ;)

Bit confused - could the handyman do this?? We are going to replace the old plate handles with round rose ones - you couldnt shave a bit off under where the handle fitted could you? It wouldnt be on the edge...
  • ukwoodyukwoody Forumite
    531 Posts
    1 mm will not make any difference at all. the spindle should sit inside he handle by at least 1/2 inch or more. All internal doors are usually 35mm and external 44 mm, but most vary a bit anyway especially older doors which swell and twist.

woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • moneylovermoneylover Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ukwoody wrote: »
    1 mm will not make any difference at all. the spindle should sit inside he handle by at least 1/2 inch or more. All internal doors are usually 35mm and external 44 mm, but most vary a bit anyway especially older doors which swell and twist.

woody

So sounds as though we have an external door inside for some reason- but just to be clear - even though the door is 45mm the spindle will still be okay? These wretched handles are quite expensive, dont want to get it wrong!! Many thanks
  • foxwalesfoxwales Forumite
    590 Posts
    They will be fine; you only have a 1mm difference in comparison to what doors they actually fit; so if you needed to shave or sand off 1mm to get them to fit; it's a relatively small amount so you wouldn't notice this on the door.
  • adandemadandem Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming that the doors already have handles on them? If the spindles are the same width, you could use the existing ones. We've done this in the past.
  • phill99phill99 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hung 4 standard internal doors today which were 35mm thick. the handles I purchased from Screwfix (Bog Standard Victorian Scroll latch in Chrome). The spindles in these wer actually too long and I had to cut them with a hacksaw. If anything, the spindles will be too long, not too short. Things like this are manufactured to an industrial standard specification and it is very rae you will have problems except maybe on very old handles.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News