Car Hire Switzerland - Help Wanted

Options
My son is living in Switzerland near Geneva and I find the car hire at Geneva airport (and in Switzerland in general) to be the dearest I have seen in Europe. I have tried all the usual car hire companies and find several of the cheaper ones to be exactly the same price (almost like price fixing). I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem? I am just about to go look and see if I can hire a car in a neighbouring country and drive it across the boarder. Geography is not my strong point so I could be some time. Any suggestions or warnings would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Finishrich
    Finishrich Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Your right it is expensive. I believe a way around it is to hire the car from the French side of Geneva airport rather than the Swiss, I believe it's cheaper, but you will probably have to pay out about SFR 60 for a swiss motorway road tax disc. My parents have done this in the past and even got away without the swiss motorway road tax too. They're out there just now but when they get home at the end of the week I'll get the details and post back.
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Thanks for that Finishrich. I was aware that Geneva airport spaned two countries but when I looked at the web sites of UK car hire companies they just say Geneva Airport and do not seem to diferentiate as to which way I might go out. They all say Geneva Switzerland. So if your parents know of a web site (English or not) that will allow me to hire on the French side then drive in Switzerland then I would be grateful to know how its done. Also the cheapest flights seem to be easyjet which also say Geneva Switzerland and the last time I went I seemed to be just in Switzerland and was not aware of the French side. If one gets a flight to Geneva airport Switzerland can I then just walk to the french side of the Airport or is it a different terminal building?

Thanks
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    Go to the hire car company website Avis.com, Europcar.com etc and enter the country of rental as "France" then choose Geneve aeroport as pick-up. I have recently posted an "Avis cheaper rental" code that would allow you to receive a discount on your rental. Sorry I don't know how to create a link to this post. One of the AWD saving codes was D005297 and 5291.

The exit of the airport French side is easy as you follow the Swiss border along the fence separating both countries but still driving on the French side. When you get at the border control turn right into Switzerland, Geneva etc.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    try airport code gga for 'french' Geneva airport
    I think....
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Thanks Mr Warren - That code saved me £30.00

D.M.
  • italiastar
    Options
    Hi I'm nervous about using these codes - does anyone know where they originate from and the eligability to use them?
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Go to top of page and do search chat forum for "avis" then pick up the thread "cheaper Avis rentals". That thread covers it all in time consuming detail.

He who dares wins
  • from_suffolk
    Options
    Why would anyone want to hire a car in Switzerland when it has an excellent public transport system?
    There is a rail line or trolley bus route directly from the airport to the city centre.
    Depending on your lengh of stay and plans for your trip there are a variety of passes available to make your travel plans cheap and convienient.
    Check out https://www.myswitzerland .com or https://www.sbb.ch
    Waddle you do eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family