PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Is anyone watching property ladder on discovery channel

Started at 7pm....

Young guy and his sister (sister bought 93% of home him 7%) in brighton.

Gave himself 14 weeks to completely renovate the house all by himself, its 11 weeks into it now and hes ripped things out and not completing anything. He hasnt really got a clue, pulling walls down with out leaving building regs know, ripping centeral heating pipes out, replacing them with cheap plastic things, switching the electric off and ripping out the electrics ALL THIS while hes living there.....

14 weeks have past and hes miles away from finnishing and have had professionals in to do the work....

What an idiot and he only has £25k to spend and is hoping for £265k when its renovated which i dont think he will get (bearing in mind he paid £216k for it)

It seems more and more mindless people are appearing on these programs especially property ladder thinking anyone can make £££'s in property renovating, with property prices coming down i bet you will see less and less of these sort of programs.

Replies

• dean_hamdean_ham Forumite
    277 Posts
    OHHH my god my gran could fit a better kitchen than this guy!
  • dean_hamdean_ham Forumite
    277 Posts
    EA's valued it at £265k

People who viewed the property are suggesting they would only pay £245k which would make them a loss of £10k

Program has ended now but no mention of a sale
  • meanmachine_2meanmachine_2 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    These programmes always end with a fudge if it's bad news.

No property is seriously valued at £265K.

Would you pay that if it meant 3% stamp duty? Or would you look for something a little less "refurbed" and pay under 250K?
  • DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    33.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You're right. £265 is a silly price.

Everyone thinks they can refurbish a property and make money now. It wouldn't make good TV if had bought and budgeted sensibly though, would it?

Admittedly, Property Ladder is more interesting now that budding property magnates aren't being propped up by the rising market anymore.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I know people who have made a bit of money from renovating property but the fact that prices have gone up madly in the area has also helped. The programmes like property ladder are not realistic, silly people who spend too much on things they like rather than keeping to a sensible budget.

We spent years doing our house up to how we want it, saved up and paid as we went, we have done some pretty major jobs but only one at a time.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals