Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

hampshire /wiltshire please help

in England
2 replies 594 views
paul2louisepaul2louise Forumite
2.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
I am staying in basinstoke at the bank holiday weekend(just a base). I would like to know where in hampshire/wiltshire are good places to eat(nice pubs) or which towns/cities are a good night out eg newbury, winchester, salisbury etc.

I can look at tourist info but am sure if you are local or have visited the area you might have better ideas.

Thanks

louise

Replies

• Dee123_2Dee123_2 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    It depends on your age and how rowdy you like your nights out.

Basingstoke has several new-ish trendy bars and restaurants in Festival Place and a few more at "the Top of Town" a few mins walk up the hill. Good for twenty-somethings and young at hearts :)

I'm in my mid-thirties and I prefer Reading (head for the waterside at the Oracle shopping centre for trendy cafe bar type places) . It's got more late night clubs too.

Winchester is a bit more sedate and upmarket unless you head for the student haunts. I recommend the Royal Oak pub which gets packed but has awesome barrelled beers.

Newbury is ok, more average pubs and one nightclub.

For pub restaurants for sunday lunch, etc, try the Mill House at Sherfield (just north on road to Reading) or Bartons Mill at the east of Basingstoke near Old Basing. Also the Vine at Hannington.

I've never been to Salisbury, so cannot comment, sorry.
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is
    determinism; the way you play it is free will.” Jawaharlal Nehru
    I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
    I am a wunderkind oh
    I am a ground-breaker naive enough to believe this
    I am a princess on the way to my throne
  • paul2louisepaul2louise Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am 32 so lively but not too young is preferable thanks for your post

Louise