Does it really matter how many meals a dog has in a day?

Pooch is 7 months old and still on 4 meals a day.

I just cant get my head round the one or two meals idea when we, as humans have more.

He lives for his food. He wouldn't survive without his supper. :rolleyes:

Is this a problem? Do I need to make changes? If so, which meal should go first? And how on earth would I do it?

Comments

• zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    zebidee1 wrote: »
    And how on earth would I do it?

By that, I mean would I double up the meal due before the one I was taking away and should I change his routine to take his mind off the missing meal?

I know when I diet...all I think about is what I'm not getting. :rotfl:
  • red-boxer
    red-boxer Posts: 292 Forumite
    Our puppy is 8 months old, and he is now on 2 meals a day, breakfast and teatime. Ours is on dry puppy dog food, and we just used the guide on the side of the pack which tells you how much in weight they need daily (it goes on the puppies age and weight)and then split the total amount into 2 meals. I know alot of dog owners give one feed a day, but i prefer two, although Jet being a labrador would eat all day if he was allowed.

I would definatley double up at least 1 of the meals, your puppy will soon get used to being fed less often, even though he is still getting the same ammount through-out the day
  • Liney_2
    Liney_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    I feed my 3 dogs twice daily I think it must be kinder on their stomachs rather than going 24 hours between meals, but my Mother in Law prefers the once a day approach with her dog and she took a vets advice so I guess it's what you feel comfortable with - toilet habits have affected my choice of meal times also - I don't want them to be desperate in the middle of the night when I can't let them in the garden.
    [size=-2]Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment![/size]
  • quidsin
    quidsin Posts: 336 Forumite
    By 8 months our dogs were on 2 meals a day, they are now 3 1/2 & 2, just like red-boxer we feed dry food and feed round about the daily recommended amount split- half in morning & half in the evening. Some times they'll have a sniff in the bowls and leave it, other times they'll woof it all down!!! When they leave their food, sometimes I miss out their next meal ( not recommended for young puppys)
  • karenn_3
    karenn_3 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I feed twice a day as I have a breed that is predisposed to bloat, so two small meals are better than I big one.
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    We feed ours dry food an split (as per info on pack) between morning (1/3) and tea time (2/3).

HTH
  • Fleago
    Fleago Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Zebedee,

Honestly, your pup will live without his supper. :D He might mope about gazing mournfully at you and doing impressions of the most deprived dog on the face of the earth, but despite all that, he'll definitely live. ;)

I've got a breed with a tendency to bloat too, so it's twice a day here, 12 hours apart and the daily amount split equally between the two meals.

It's very hard, but try not to let yourself do too much human thinking with regards to your dog. :) He won't be thinking that it's not fair that his people have more meals than he does. Dogs like a routine in life, so if you cut out one meal for a little while and then cut out another leaving two, morning and night, then he'll be absolutely fine. The routine also helps with toileting habits and makes it easier to know when they need to go. That being said, most dogs will eat whenever afforded the opportunity, but don't let that fool you into thinking they need to eat more than one or two meals a day - if two is what they get, then that's what they get used to!

Just divide the daily amount by the amount of meals you want to give him. If you're not confident to assess how much he needs by yourself, then be guided by the age/amounts info on the packets. If he seems to be dropping a bit of weight, up it a bit, if he's getting a tad plumptious, cut it back a bit.

Good luck, and I promise he won't feel any the worse about his mummy for you doing it. :)

Fleago
  • Hi,

Like others have said its up to you to decide whats best. My problem is that i have humanised my dog far too much - i went through a stage of carrying her up the stairs cos their to step ( i dont do it any more though) any how, think back to their wild days - would they maybe go a day maybe two without food i their hunting days or did they catch 4 small meals ? I dont know i want their lol!

You can get lots of treat dispenser type toys where you can put food in and they knock it out. great until they go under the sofa. My MSE (but noisey) version is to use empty bottles. be carefull though that they are safe and not the thin type as they wont last two seconds and also bear in ind that your dog may think all bottles are his. Using this method may make his food last a little bit longer and keep him occupied.
    One day, I AM going to be out of debt. I'm just not sure when.
    MSE to do's: new mobile contract, get contents insurance, get a better paid job!
    Ebay March challange - £15
  • POSSETTE
    POSSETTE Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    2 Meals a day is best .It doesnt put a strain on the heart and digestive system as it would all in one go.
    TO FINISH LAST, FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH....
  • DenBo_4
    DenBo_4 Posts: 536 Forumite
    I only feed my dogs dry dog food, the two dog bowls are always available, along with water, for whenever they want to eat. They are both slim, healthy dogs. I wouldn't want to eat only twice a day, I like to eat when I'm hungry, I'm sure dogs feel the same! And what happens to the poor dog when your'e not home in time to feed them? I've got two Jack Russells, they are even able to go to the loo when they want to, they just go through the cat flap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure