not been paid after unsuccessful probation

I was recently made redundant from working as a case handler, but was 'lucky' enough to go straight into another job(1 Feb) at a small firm.
It was meant to be a compliance based role with training, but I actually ended up doing a lot of the more basic work in accounts/reconciliation. I don't have any experience in this area but got on with the tasks given to me and didn't receive any complaints/warnings.

I was dismissed on 14 March. I pushed quite hard for a reason but was simply told that there were certain cultural differences and that although parts of my work were good they had got someone new who could do the account type stuff better than me (a friend of an established member of staff; who may well have been quicker at account/reconciliation work than me).

Although harsh, I think the employer has a right to do this during a probation period.

During the dismissal meeting I was told I would be paid to the end of the month, which was some comfort to me since I have a mortgage. I was stupid enough not to request that this be put in writing, but did call straight after the meeting requesting that the verbal agreement be put on an email. No email was sent.

Today is pay day, but there is no money in my bank account. How should I go about requesting the money? I'm just about to call the firm and request that all the money be paid to me - but any tips on what I should do/expect from there, since I can't see it being as simple as a phone call.

Any advice is much appreciated. Sorry if I've missed any similar posts, but I couldn't find any.

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Do you have any idea what they meant by "certain cultural differences" ? To me that may mean some form of discrimination which is of course illegal.
    As for the money-call them and see what they say-presumably you are paid monthly so are owed for 1st-14th anyway so see what they pay you and then a nice by firm letter-(don't bother with a phone call you need a paper trail once you've determined you have been underpaid) saying that following your conveersation with Mr xxxx on 14th March you were informed thatyou would be paid until 31 March and have not recieved this payment-blah blah
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • happysaver
    happysaver Posts: 20 Forumite
    The exact words I remember are 'it's a cultural thing', which is a terrible way to put it so can fully see where your point is coming from. I asked for a more specific reason several times, but wasn't given one.
    However, it was clear they meant the working culture I am from didn't match their firm - the click. For example I was less chatty than some of the people at the office(I am always friendly, but quiet by nature). Also; my ability to sift numerical data is probably not the quickest. BTW I have a legal background, but with a 2;2 don't feel well placed to get a training contract so am looking to build my career in a different way.
    The compliance role was actually created specially for me - and they possibly later realised there was not enough work for me to do in that area.
    I did call(before I read your post, but TBH was keen to get answers from them quickly) and was told no one had been paid today. Last day of month is the normal payday - but it's a small firm and it could be a genuine error on their part so apologies for posting so quick.
    Will see what happens tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport