Problems with Netgear through Virgin Media

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
5 replies 2.3K views
PilchardPilchard Forumite
362 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi there

Don't know if anyone can help but I'm having loads of problems connecting my new computer to the internet. I'm with Virgin Media and have a wireless router from my set top box (Netgear WG602 v3) to a wireless cable upstairs (Netgear WG111). I've been trying to sort it out for past 2 days and have spoken to several people in India or thereabouts but still can't sort it. One suggestion was to use the ethernet cable through the set top box so it could read the settings for Netgear so we took the computer downstairs and connected it and it was brilliant. Only thing was when we disconnected it and moved it back upstairs there still isn't anything happening. There's no room downstairs for the computer, hence having wireless connection. I forgot to say the old system was xp and the new one is vista.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks xx
Let's start again (really need a kick up the bum now) :wall:
Virgin CC £9793.71

Replies

• normanmarknormanmark Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Can you be a bit more specific to the problems you're having?

Does the computer you're trying to connect to the internet find the Wireless USB Adapter? If so can it find the wireless router that you have connected to the modem?
  • malamutemalamute Forumite
    710 Posts
    As previous poster more detail required. Has the router been set with a security to prevent others accessing your broadband (check the wireless set up on the router you will need to do this connected with the Ethernet cable).
    You have put this key into your computer that you have the usb wireless adapter ??
  • PilchardPilchard Forumite
    362 Posts
    Hi there

The ethernet cable connects to the back of the set top box and the wireless router. The router is downstairs and the adapter is plugged into a usb connector at the back of the computer. I get so far with the set up disc and then it says there's a problem and ?not supported by my system. When I plug the computer straight into the set top box via the ethernet cable it works fine but I can't keep it down there. I'm thinking it's just the fact that the router is only basic and so doesn't accept windows vista but don't want to buy a new router until I know for sure. I've put the security codes in for the router and when I look at the system there seems to be another netgear on there but it's not mine. Sorry if this has made it more confusing :eek:
    Virgin CC £9793.71
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version driver are you using for the WG111T ? It needs to be version 2.0 or higher to be compatible with Vista. see here.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • PilchardPilchard Forumite
    362 Posts
    Hi there
    It is version 2.
    Thanks xx
    Virgin CC £9793.71
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides