Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Certified copy by an official - HELP!!!

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Certified copy by an official - HELP!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Discussion Time
22 replies 472 views
StarX_2StarX_2 Forumite
63 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Discussion Time
I am applying for assistance with tuition fees and I met this request:

A CERTIFIED COPY IS A PHOTOCOPY OF AN ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. THIS COPY MUST BE STAMPED AND
SIGNED AS BEING A TRUE COPY OF THE ORIGINAL BY AN OFFICIAL: A MINISTER OF RELIGION, DOCTOR,
LAWYER, CIVIL SERVANT, TEACHER/LECTURER, POLICE OFFICER.
THE PERSON CERTIFYING THE COPY MUST PROVIDE THEIR NAME, JOB TITLE, ADDRESS AND CONTACT
TELEPHONE NUMBER. THE CERTIFYING PERSON MUST NOT BE A RELATIVE.

I don't anyone of the above?? Is it possible to get this copy done paying a fees to someone?
Thanks,
StarX

Replies

• You must know your doctor?
    They will do it, not sure how much they charge!

helen21
  • RoxieRoxie Forumite
    616 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Depending on how old you are, couldn't one of your old teachers, or your child's teacher do this?
    MFW 2020 No: 33 £1600/£5000
    MFW 2019 £5000/£5000
    MFW 2018 £5000/£5000
    MFW 2017 £3500/£3500
  • ashmitashmit Forumite
    622 posts
    There are lots of people who come under civil servant - me for a start! Do you know anyone who works at the local job centre, tax office, or anything like that? You don't have any friends who are a teacher or anything?

I've been stuck a lot in the past as for many things someone needs to have known you for at least 2 years, and I've moved around too much for my doctor to ever count. But that doesn't seem to apply with this so yes I would go to your GP.

It says police - if you're really desperate try going into your local police station and begging them to do it!!!!
  • MidasMidas Forumite
    593 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Many solicitors offer this service. I recently had to have something witnessed and copied and they did it for a £5 - took about 5 minutes.

Just look in the phone book and give a few a ring - ask them if they certify copies and if so how much they charge, so you don't get ripped off or have a wasted journey.

A doctor might do it for free - but most of them charge quite a lot for this kind of stuff these days (which is fair enough really, they have far more important things to be doing!)

:)
    Midas.
  • bridiejbridiej Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any solicitor can do it, might be worth ringing round a few to see what they charge.

We had to get a load of documents certified, luckily a friend of the family is a solicitor and did the majority, then a local one did a couple of pages for free.

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • JoBatch80JoBatch80 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Your bank manager can do it too! I got my old headmaster to certify my passport application - maybe thats another option?

Jo xx
    Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you look at the list of people it really is a joke - it is also disgusting that people even consider charging for this. Basically all they are doing is witnessing that the photocopy is a copy of an original - and even then only to the best of their knowledge. Take the copy to a police station along with the original ... any police man/woman can sign it ... worked for me last time I needed a rush job on a passport.

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • bylromarhabylromarha Forumite
    10.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    If it's for tuition fees, can't one of your lecturers sign for you?
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • bridiejbridiej Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you take it to a JP to certify although you have to wait it is free as they're not allowed to charge

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • WHAWHA Forumite
    1.4K posts
    When you look at the list of people it really is a joke - it is also disgusting that people even consider charging for this. Basically all they are doing is witnessing that the photocopy is a copy of an original - and even then only to the best of their knowledge. Take the copy to a police station along with the original ... any police man/woman can sign it ... worked for me last time I needed a rush job on a passport. Ivan

I agree that someone in "paid employment" shouldn't charge, i.e. police, teachers, civil servants, doctors, etc. as they're not losing anything by taking a few minutes to witness the forms. However, anyone self employed is right to charge if they're being asked to do it in normal working hours as they are losing the potential to do proper fee-earning work for other clients. That said, I wouldn't charge if it were for one of my clients, but would certainly charge if a "non client" came to my office and asked me to do it.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support